Biggest tire size on factory rims

N

NCPioneer

Aug 24, 2014
Denver NC
What would be a good size tire replacement for a factory rim for trail riding? How about rear wheel spacers?

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I would suggest 26x10x12 on the rear. The front rim is narrower only 6" I think so, if they make a 26X9x12 you could maybe do that. If you bought 2 more rear rims you could go with 10" wide on all 4. They fit I've tried it, but you have to cut 1/4" off the plastic rock guard on the front for clearance. I personally won't bother with a spacer. If you can afford spacers then by larger rims instead then you'd have a lot more options.

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I'm torn between 27x9x12 or 26x10x12 on factory rear rims.

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I just put 26x9 on front and 26x11 on rear of my factory rims and it worked great. I agree, u don't wanna over do it. You wanna make sure you have enough power to push those bigger 27-28" wheels around. I noticed an all around gain in handling and small top end (1-2mph).

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
With the 26" I used I might have gone from 50" wide to 51-52". Not a huge difference. Should still fit in truck bed and trails

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
Some of the trails near me have posts put up at 50" wide. I would hate to try and scrub through and not be able to make it. There is a solution somewhere for sure. I don't mind trimming the rig a bit. I wonder if I got some offset rims if that would work.

Stoney

Stoney

Jan 28, 2015
Alberton, Montana
I'm thinking a factory rims won't be able to make width on the bigger tires. Correct me if I'm wrong but would a 4+3 offset correct the extra bulge from using factory rims. But the there is the fender and frame run issue. Mind you all I'm spitballing here and hate thinking about offset.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If you stick to factory wheels there want be a noticeable difference with aftermarket tires. You will be fine on all 50 trails. Most trail post are not excatelly 50" and more like 53+. Now bare mind I have only seen one and it was well over 50 wide. If a park ranger breaks out a tape measure for 51". he is a total douche and needs to be reported.

You don't want to go with anything narrower then factory. If it is a major concern run a skiner tire. Its going to be very troublesome to hunt a aftermarket tire/wheel combo and keep to exactly 50. But 51 (tire bulge to tire bulge) you should be able to live with.

Reactions: rocmar
advertisement
S

sharphook

Feb 25, 2015
you can also take a steel rim and turn it around old farmer trick to keep from riding down crops while cultivating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How many folks here understand that statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
sharphook said:
you can also take a steel rim and turn it around old farmer trick to keep from riding down crops while cultivating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How many folks here understand that statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sure you can do that and then all the lug nuts will fall off because the inside of the wheels are not beveled for lugnuts

Reactions: Mudder and rocmar
B

brianlauritsen

Dec 19, 2014
I'm behind on conversations but I have installed 27 by 9 by 12" Kendra bear claws all the way around. I love them, they fit well but did trim the front rails slightly behind the front tires. These are on factory rims. Adds about 4 mph to top end. I use mine to check ag fields. A nice change from ATVs.

I

Idol189

Mar 30, 2015
I'm running 27/7.5/12 interco interforce on factory rims. Plenty power, could probably go taller. Have friend that's running 28s and says it works great.

sxsinks

sxsinks

Nov 16, 2015
Middle Midwest
I'm running 27/7.5/12 interco interforce on factory rims. Plenty power, could probably go taller. Have friend that's running 28s and says it works great.

Did you have to trim your frame? If so would spacers of helped. Im interested in those tires but reluctant to cut my frame. I'll do spacers first

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
20161210 120157
20161210 120134
20161210 120157
If you stick to factory wheels there want be a noticeable difference with aftermarket tires. You will be fine on all 50 trails. Most trail post are not excatelly 50" and more like 53+. Now bare mind I have only seen one and it was well over 50 wide. If a park ranger breaks out a tape measure for 51". he is a total douche and needs to be reported.

You don't want to go with anything narrower then factory. If it is a major concern run a skiner tire. Its going to be very troublesome to hunt a aftermarket tire/wheel combo and keep to exactly 50. But 51 (tire bulge to tire bulge) you should be able to live with.

This gate....is 54"
A natural gate.....
love it...when the bigger
UTV.....have to turn around
HAHAHAHA
HEHEHEHE

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Did you have to trim your frame? If so would spacers of helped. Im interested in those tires but reluctant to cut my frame. I'll do spacers first
I'm going to be going with 2" spacers
after the holidays. ..for more stability
my riding area has changed..more
rock...steeper terrain. .in some areas
dont wanna be a Tumbler......haha

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Some of the trails near me have posts put up at 50" wide. I would hate to try and scrub through and not be able to make it. There is a solution somewhere for sure. I don't mind trimming the rig a bit. I wonder if I got some offset rims if that would work.
If ya go up....
ya gotta go out
.....jut sayin

Reactions: Stoney and sxsinks
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!