BOX1

P500 Bighorns/Bearclaws HTRs

S

Sledge

I posted a thread previously about Bighorns/Trilobites.

The upshot was that some found the T's just as good, for $200 less. No one claimed they were better.

Others said the BH's radial construction made them worth the extra $$.

Experiencing paralysis by analysis, I did nothing.

Now I'm reading that the Kenda Bearclaw HTR, also a radial, is perhaps an as good or better all-around tire than the Bighorn.

I'm not a mud guy. Sometimes I have to deal with it, but I purely hate mud. I go around if I can. I ride roads, turf, desert, and mountain trails.

I have a set of 4 Bearclaws in my cart at Chaparral for $377 shipped. Bighorns would be ~$200 more.

Tires are particularly important to me, as I hate winches. Lost my right arm to one in 1980. Logging accident.

My fault? Sure, but I still don't like 'em. I was going to buy one, but then realized I just don't want to.

Thoughts on the tire choice?

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

The upshot was that some found the T's just as good, for $200 less. No one claimed they were better.

Now I'm reading that the Kenda Bearclaw HTR, also a radial, is perhaps an as good or better all-around tire than the Bighorn.

I'm not a mud guy. Sometimes I have to deal with it, but I purely hate mud. I go around if I can. I ride roads, turf, desert, and mountain trails.

I have a set of 4 Bearclaws in my cart at Chaparral for $377 shipped. Bighorns would be ~$200 more.

Tires are particularly important to me, as I hate winches. Lost my right arm to one in 1980. Logging accident.

My fault? Sure, but I still don't like 'em. I was going to buy one, but then realized I just don't want to.

Joe
My Bighorns (26's) were delivered to me from RMATV for 450.00. Seems prices have gone up some in three months.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Joe
Big Horns
cheaper...is almost
never the best

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Bear claw HTR all the way. I haven't seen in anyway were the big horns are/is better. A lot of people are buying the bear claw HTR over big horns now. They'll be better in mud for sure, i think. And being able to get that good of a tire for the price is the best part and the reason i bought them. Either tire will do the job of course.

Last edited:
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Bear claw HTR all the way. I haven't seen in anyway were the big horns are/is better. A lot of people are buying the bear claw HTR over big horns now. HTR haven't been out long and already have a huge following on all type's of atv/SxS's..
Kool....
Big Horns

S

Sledge

Bear claw HTR all the way. I haven't seen in anyway were the big horns are/is better. A lot of people are buying the bear claw HTR over big horns now. They'll be better in mud for sure, i think. And being able to get that good of a tire for the price is the best part and the reason i bought them. Either tire will do the job of course.
Thanks, Scott. I appreciate your first-hand experience.

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hopefully soon I will be able to tell you how much I like my bearclaw htr's. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

Hopefully soon I will be able to tell you how much I like my bearclaw htr's. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
COOL, ehart! I think you and I have been traveling a similar path on this tire choice dilemma.

To paraphrase Alice, "The smarter I get, the dumber I realize I am."

I'm leaning hard BC HTRs too, though. I can't find a single bad review, and I've looked hard.

I was going 25s, but now I'm thinking 26/9s and 26/11s. I did some measuring this morning, and was surprised to find that while the plastic is 50", my stock tires are 49" front, 49 3/8" rear. So I have a little width to play with after all.

Once I learned that the wheels aren't the same, the attraction of one-size all-around tires vanished for me.

Why go from 10s to 9s in back, when stability is my #1 priority, and the wheels don't interchange/rotate anyway?

I reckon I should be around 51" on both ends, and I'm ok with that. I know they will get through the gates.

I'm looking at $407 shipped from Chaparral. How about you?

Joe

Reactions: trigger
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
COOL, ehart! I think you and I have been traveling a similar path on this tire choice dilemma.

I'm leaning hard BC HTRs too, though. I can't find a single bad review, and I've looked hard.

I was going 25s, but now I'm thinking 26/9s and 26/11s. I did some measuring this morning, and was surprised to find that while the plastic is 50", my stock tires are 49" front, 49 3/8" rear. So I have a little width to play with after all.

Once I learned that the wheels aren't the same, the attraction of one-size all-around tires vanished for me.

Why go from 10s to 9s in back, when stability is my #1 priority, and the wheels don't interchange/rotate anyway?

I reckon I should be around 51" on both ends, and I'm ok with that. I know they will get through the gates.

Joe
I keep going back and forth on sizes....after a lot of deliberation I think I will end up 26x9 all around but I am buying wheels too, so I will be able to rotate. I want the extra inch the wheels will provide. I have now been told that 27x9 will rub on the frame, even with the 5+2 offset wheels. That was the deal breaker for me on the 27's. I think 26" will suit my needs and be a gigantic improvement. Someone I know locally told me I can get a set for $375. 26".

But if I order separately, I have to buy the lug nuts and valve stems separate which will add to the coat.

But I think I will end up ordering a package with wheels from kj motorsports. They quoted me $741 for a package with 27x9 tires. So 26"x9" should be a bit cheaper than that. They come ready to bolt on. I can't find anyone cheaper online.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The bigger and heavier you go with tires, the more strain you are putting on tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, cv joints/axles, etc.
I think my 26" Bighorn 2.0's are actually lighter than the stock 24" s. I know they're lighter than standard Bighorns. Radials too which make for a much better ride.

Reactions: Montecresto
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I keep going back and forth on sizes....after a lot of deliberation I think I will end up 26x9 all around but I am buying wheels too, so I will be able to rotate. I want the extra inch the wheels will provide. I have now been told that 27x9 will rub on the frame, even with the 5+2 offset wheels. That was the deal breaker for me on the 27's. I think 26" will suit my needs and be a gigantic improvement. Someone I know locally told me I can get a set for $375. 26".

But if I order separately, I have to buy the lug nuts and valve stems separate which will add to the coat.

But I think I will end up ordering a package with wheels from kj motorsports. They quoted me $741 for a package with 27x9 tires. So 26"x9" should be a bit cheaper than that. They come ready to bolt on. I can't find anyone cheaper online.
I'm running 27"x11"x14" Ripsaws on 5+2 offset STI rims. No rubbing on the frame. I haven't heard of anyone rubbing with less than 28" tires, but I'm sure some brands might. I wouldn't be afraid to go with the 27s.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

Joe
Sounding good Joe! My Bighorns shipped for $450.00 from RMATV. I used 26/9's front and 26/11's rear. And it still fits between the wells of the truck bed.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
The bigger and heavier you go with tires, the more strain you are putting on tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, cv joints/axles, etc.
Similar trouble with wheel spacers.

S

Sledge

[
Sounding good Joe! My Bighorns shipped for $450.00 from RMATV. I used 26/9's front and 26/11's rear. And it still fits between the wells of the truck bed.
Good info, MC. Thanks.

Yeah, I guess Bighorns are up, because I couldn't find a set under $550, and I checked RMATV.

They no longer carry the BC HTRs. Still carry other Kendas, though.

Wonder what's up with that?

Found out this morning I can't ride in the pasture anymore.:oops:

My uncle says it compacts the soil. No hard feelings--he's right, but still disappointing.

There's a 100 acre trail center nearby. $15 a day. Guess I'll check it out...man, I miss Colorado!!

Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
[

Good info, MC. Thanks.

Yeah, I guess Bighorns are up, because I couldn't find a set under $550, and I checked RMATV.

My uncle says it compacts the soil. No hard feelings--he's right, but still disappointing.

There's a 100 acre trail center nearby. $15 a day. Guess I'll check it out...man, I miss Colorado!!

Joe

I'd be willing to bet you won't be complaining about $15 after riding those trails for a couple hours (or more)! I noticed that RM doesn't sell the Bear Claw HTR's. It is strange. Maybe they are trying to sell more of their Tusk brand tires... Seems like the HTR's are pretty hard to beat for a tough radial tire in the price range... I just got mine ordered finally. 26x9x12's for $84 a piece. That's wholesale price, locally. They will be in tomorrow, but I'm not sure when my new wheels will come.

Reactions: trigger and Sledge
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
[

Good info, MC. Thanks.

Joe
I understand the guys point, I raise cattle. 100 acre trail would be just enough to piss me off, but after riding around on ten, you're going to be liberated Joe!!! Good luck on your tire order, they sure raised the price quick, and 20% too, ouch.

Reactions: Sledge
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

Are you talking about original bighorns or bighorn 2.0? might be the diff in price?

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I'm running 27"x11"x14" Ripsaws on 5+2 offset STI rims. No rubbing on the frame. I haven't heard of anyone rubbing with less than 28" tires, but I'm sure some brands might. I wouldn't be afraid to go with the 27s.
I rub with 27" HTRS...5+2 offset rims. Front are 27x9x12

S

Sledge

I understand the guys point, I raise cattle. 100 acre trail would be just enough to piss me off, but after riding around on ten, you're going to be liberated Joe!!! Good luck on your tire order, they sure raised the price quick, and 20% too, ouch.

Huh. Just checked Bighorns at RMATV again, and 4 are in the $470s.

Not sure what happened. Coulda been me.

No-kinda-computer-hand Joe

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!