P500 Bighorns/Bearclaws HTRs

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I really think yall will love the HTR's.. I think they're one of the best AT atv/sxs tires. I myself was all over the place with picking tires. The great reviews and the price is what closed the deal for me. I couldn't be more happier with them.

Reactions: SBuckJ and Sledge
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got them mounted last night, and went for a ride. The muddy spot I used to be afraid of is now easily passed in 2wd. I love the tires. Transformed the machine!

A couple things I hadn't heard mentioned:

1. These tires allow the machine to slide sideways a bit more than the stock tires did on dry dirt/gravel. I'm totally okay with that.
2. I immediately noticed more noise from rocks and debris. These tires grab and throw rocks and mud!!!
3. I did experience slight clutch slip after a shift when shifting up. It's very minor. Pretty much exactly the way it was when it was brand new. I probably won't even adjust it again.

At first, I thought I noticed a slight power loss. But after riding more and more, I really could not notice a drop in power. I put 9 PSI in them, but I will probably lower that. The ride is smoother and they absorb sharp obstacles like roots and rocks much better than the stock tires. The grip is awesome. I intentionally tried to spin out on a hill. I normally climb this hill in 2nd gear and have to use some speed to get up without spinning out. I stopped at the bottom of the hill (new tires on), put it in L gear, and slowly crawled right up the hill with no drama at all.

So happy I finally got these tires on!!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Got them mounted last night, and went for a ride. The muddy spot I used to be afraid of is now easily passed in 2wd. I love the tires. Transformed the machine!

1. These tires allow the machine to slide sideways a bit more than the stock tires did on dry dirt/gravel. I'm totally okay with that.
2. I immediately noticed more noise from rocks and debris. These tires grab and throw rocks and mud!!!
3. I did experience slight clutch slip after a shift when shifting up. It's very minor. Pretty much exactly the way it was when it was brand new. I probably won't even adjust it again.

At first, I thought I noticed a slight power loss. But after riding more and more, I really could not notice a drop in power. I put 9 PSI in them, but I will probably lower that. The ride is smoother and they absorb sharp obstacles like roots and rocks much better than the stock tires. The grip is awesome. I intentionally tried to spin out on a hill. I normally climb this hill in 2nd gear and have to use some speed to get up without spinning out. I stopped at the bottom of the hill (new tires on), put it in L gear, and slowly crawled right up the hill with no drama at all.

Yep, same review had you gone with Bighorns. A good tire makes the difference. Glad you like them. A 475cc motor is going to feel the difference of having to turn a larger diameter tire. It was more noticeable for me because I ride with a guy that's still running stock tires. Whereas we were always in the same gear, not anymore. He shifts sooner than I do now. Following behind him on a steep hill, I often have to be in L while he's in 2, as mine would be lugging in 2. Some nuances you wouldn't notice. But we have a hill that both of us had to get a bit of a running start in 2 to climb. Same thing you did, I started from a stop at the bottom in L and climbed right up it, to his surprise.

Reactions: Sledge and ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Yep, same review had you gone with Bighorns. A good tire makes the difference. Glad you like them. A 475cc motor is going to feel the difference of having to turn a larger diameter tire. It was more noticeable for me because I ride with a guy that's still running stock tires. Whereas we were always in the same gear, not anymore. He shifts sooner than I do now. Following behind him on a steep hill, I often have to be in L while he's in 2, as mine would be lugging in 2. Some nuances you wouldn't notice. But we have a hill that both of us had to get a bit of a running start in 2 to climb. Same thing you did, I started from a stop at the bottom in L and climbed right up it, to his surprise.
I'm a fan of the bighorns too. I was originally going that route, but I literally saved over $100 dollars buying these tires versus the Bighorns. That's good info being able to compare yours with a stock machine at the same time on the same trails.

Luckily for us, the P500 is geared so low that it doesn't really lose power with the taller tires, it just gets geared a bit taller. At this point, I have yet to observe any disadvantage going bigger. It seems Honda designed it to size up. I just made a good machine better. :)

Reactions: Maltesefalcon
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm a fan of the bighorns too. I was originally going that route, but I literally saved over $100 dollars buying these tires versus the Bighorns. That's good info being able to compare yours with a stock machine at the same time on the same trails.

Luckily for us, the P500 is geared so low that it doesn't really lose power with the taller tires, it just gets geared a bit taller. At this point, I have yet to observe any disadvantage going bigger. It seems Honda designed it to size up. I just made a good machine better. :)
Both good tires, no question. And no, I'm not saying we've lost power, but tire diameter is the last link in the gear ratio and it's really only noticeable when riding with somebody that's running stock tires. I have that side by side comparison. The Yellow Jacket wants 26's too lol. :)

Reactions: ehart814
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina

6-8 is the best psi I've found to run. I've been playing around with that on different terrain. If really hard and rocky I drop down to 6 psi. One guy at Royal blue was running 4 psi. I was on really rutted out trails one day and kept bottoming out so I put them high 10 psi and that extra lift helped a lot that day. Mine are 27"

Last edited:
S

Sledge

6-8 is the best psi I've found to run. I've been playing around with that on different terrain. If really hard and rocky I drop down to 6 psi. One guy at Royal blue was running 4 psi. I was on really rutted out trails one day and kept bottoming out so I put them high 10 psi and that extra lift helped a lot that day. Mine are 27"

Useful information, Scott. Thanks.

I've owned a couple of these 4-wheeled off-road machines before, but never really looked to learn about them before now.

My off-road wheeled experience is mostly mountain bikes, 4wd trucks, and rubber-tired log skidders.

And pioneering roads in steep country with a D8 Cat, but that is more about modifying the terrain to suit than adjusting to it.

(A man in a D8 needs to be careful, lest he think he is God. On the 8th day, I recreated the earth.) :)

But of course tracks ain't wheels. I digress.

Anyway, tire pressure mattered a lot racing mountain bikes, and with skidders, and I'm getting the impression it does here too, so I want to measure it accurately.

Oh, and did I mention how tasty the beer is this sunny afternoon?

Rambling Joe

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thank you. I dropped mine to 8 psi tonight with no noticeable disadvantage. If I get into some rough stuff, I could lower them more. For my normal riding around the neighborhood, which includes lots of roads, 8 seems good. I might drop it again next time tho. I guess I should probably keep dropping them till I notice a loss of power and sluggish handling and then pump them up a bit. I'll experiment, and report back. These tires are so ridiculously good compared to stock. I'm so pleased with them.

Reactions: scott
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I bet that one guy at RB running 4 psi had bead locks.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Was spifty the turbo 700. No sure what rims he had.

Oh ok. One time, Ohanacreek and I stopped and checked the pressure and I was around 4-5 on one of those cold mornings. That's with a P1000 but those roctanes are tough enough to hold up the pioneer's weight.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Oh ok. One time, Ohanacreek and I stopped and checked the pressure and I was around 4-5 on one of those cold mornings. That's with a P1000 but those roctanes are tough enough to hold up the pioneer's weight.
The roctanes are stiffer and hold more weight than the HTR. I don't think I would run them HTR's on the 1000. Weight rating isn't that high.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The roctanes are stiffer and hold more weight than the HTR. I don't think I would run them HTR's on the 1000.

Really? I was considering the HTRs after seeing them on your vehicle and how they perform.

You know I'm always "shoe shopping".

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Really? I was considering the HTRs after seeing them on your vehicle and how they perform.

You know I'm always "shoe shopping".
They're weight rating isn't that high like 450-500#. Not sure on the 28" tho. I've hauled a lot with them and didn't have any issues. Seems like it should be higher because they're 8 ply and really thick but idk how all that is rated.

Reactions: joeymt33
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I

Cool, ehart! Hopefully I'm just a day or two behind you.

Joe
Did you get your tires yet Joe??? You're going to love them!

S

Sledge

:(
Did you get your tires yet Joe??? You're going to love them!
Nope. They're scheduled for delivery today, but I'm on the tail end of UPS'
daily schedule--usually ~6pm.

And my tire guy is closed tomorrow for some silly family wedding.

PRIORITIES, man!!! So...Monday.:(

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
:(
Nope. They're scheduled for delivery today, but I'm on the tail end of UPS'
daily schedule--usually ~6pm.

And my tire guy is closed tomorrow for some silly family wedding.

PRIORITIES, man!!! So...Monday.:(

Joe

Bet he'd rather be installing your tires, lol.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Depends on the reception, I reckon.

I have been to some epic wedding receptions...

Joe
Good food, good booze, dirty dancing!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!