P500 Bighorns/Bearclaws HTRs

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I rub with 27" HTRS...5+2 offset rims. Front are 27x9x12
Huh? Would never have thought that. I purchased spacers because I was afraid the wide fronts would rub. Never did, so I sent the spacers back. It may be that I'm running 10psi on a 14" rim. Less sidewall flex? Anyone got an answer?

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Huh? Would never have thought that. I purchased spacers because I was afraid the wide fronts would rub. Never did, so I sent the spacers back. It may be that I'm running 10psi on a 14" rim. Less sidewall flex? Anyone got an answer?
True..That 14" rim might be helping. Never thought of that..I just went with the 12" because I wanted any extra "softness" I could get with this machine-LOL

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But then we'd have Yamaha on our Honda!!!

S

Sledge

But then we'd have Yamaha on our Honda!!!
Aw, what the heck. A man can only dilly-dally for so long...I got trail-riding to do!

Just ordered 4 Bearclaws--2 26/9/12s, and 2 26/11/12s.

I did check out Dennis Kirk (thanks Trigger), and they may have saved a dollar or two, but were out of stock on the 11s.

Now...I've never had ATV tires mounted. I'm sure my local tire guy has done it, but are there any options I should consider? Do they need to be balanced?

And what to do with the takeoffs? Is there a market for them?

If not, I'll just use them to breed mosquitos, I reckon.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There's a local market for them on Craigslist etc., otherwise shipping is pretty expensive.

Reactions: Sledge
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I got $120 for my old tires on Craigslist. Walmart will mount the new ones for $5 per tire, best I could find.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Aw, what the heck. A man can only dilly-dally for so long...I got trail-riding to do!

I did check out Dennis Kirk (thanks Trigger), and they may have saved a dollar or two, but were out of stock on the 11s.

Now...I've never had ATV tires mounted. I'm sure my local tire guy has done it, but are there any options I should consider? Do they need to be balanced?

Joe
I'd go with @sthomp54 with Walmart for $5 a piece... Balancing your tires on this machine is unnecessary. One of these days I am going to buy a bead breaker. I've needed one so many times I can't even remember.

Congrats on the new tires!! You sure aren't messing around!! I'm picking mine up today, but won't get them on until tomorrow when my wheels come in. It's going to be so nice to not be afraid of the soft spots in the trails anymore!!

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

I'd go with @sthomp54 with Walmart for $5 a piece... Balancing your tires on this machine is unnecessary. One of these days I am going to buy a bead breaker. I've needed one so many times I can't even remember.

Congrats on the new tires!! You sure aren't messing around!! I'm picking mine up today, but won't get them on until tomorrow when my wheels come in. It's going to be so nice to not be afraid of the soft spots in the trails anymore!!
We just got a Walmart, and it doesn't have an auto shop. I'm out in the country!

Besides, my tire guy's family has been around here forever, as mine has. I've helped him out, and he's helped me out. Last year I called and told him he had a cow loose on I-30. He appreciated that. :)

He might do it for nothing, and he might charge me $40. It'll be all right.

Thanks for the tip on balancing.

Joe.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Joe
That's what my old/new tires are doing right now. Keep saying I'll post them up and never get to it. I paid $10 a piece at Discount Tire to take the old ones off and mount the new. You're gonna like those 26" s Joe. Just the right size.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Haha, I've gotten into more trouble with a four wheel drive truck than I have with a two wheel drive truck, if you get my drift.

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We just got a Walmart, and it doesn't have an auto shop. I'm out in the country!

Besides, my tire guy's family has been around here forever, as mine has. I've helped him out, and he's helped me out. Last year I called and told him he had a cow loose on I-30. He appreciated that. :)

He might do it for nothing, and he might charge me $40. It'll be all right.

Thanks for the tip on balancing.

Joe.
Same kind of s*** when I'm at my Oklahoma ranch Joe. Got a love the country!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
See, already an improvement ! Ha ha . I just figured I'd get aluminum wheels that way, as the stock wheels are not going to win any beauty prize.
Most of the aftermarket wheels are $300 give or take for a set, so I added another $150 and got a full set of 2.0's. The other thing I dislike about aftermarket wheels is they aren't available in stock widths (6" front and 7.5" rear).
Yep, that's why I never bought them. Wishing to maintain the integrity (yep, I said that) of the 50" machine I couldn't find any after markets in 6 and 7.5

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Got my tires last night, wheels coming today. I sat the new tire next to the front wheel on the buggy. Wow, even unmounted it has to be 3" taller than the stock tire! These HTR's look extremely tough. The tread depth is huge. I cannot wait to get these on tonight!!!

Reactions: Sledge and Chooglin
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Got my tires last night, wheels coming today. I sat the new tire next to the front wheel on the buggy. Wow, even unmounted it has to be 3" taller than the stock tire! These HTR's look extremely tough. The tread depth is huge. I cannot wait to get these on tonight!!!
Wear you're seat belt when you take the test drive. ;)

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Wear you're seat belt when you take the test drive. ;)
Yes sir! Actually, I prefer using the seat belt. It does a nice job keeping me in the seat when riding the trails. I don't like sliding around on the bench seat. If it wasn't so expensive and labor intensive, I would love to put some bucket seats in.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes sir! Actually, I prefer using the seat belt. It does a nice job keeping me in the seat when riding the trails. I don't like sliding around on the bench seat. If it wasn't so expensive and labor intensive, I would love to put some bucket seats in.
Lol, you funny boy. I too would love to have buckets, and it's a back burner project because as you said, it's labor intensive and costly. But if and when I do it, it will eliminate the seat heat dilemma, too!

S

Sledge

I
Cool, ehart! Hopefully I'm just a day or two behind you. With all the tire cogitation you and I have been through here together, it's fitting that we finally bought the same tires at the same time. Too bad we're 1500 miles apart--we should get them muddy together!

3"?! Uh oh. I may have to air down to get in my trailer!

Oh well. My compressor and generator live in the trailer too. And a big old soft contact patch on the floor when trailering in rough terrain wouldn't hurt a thing.

Pics ASAP! (Maybe before and after?)

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I

Cool, ehart! Hopefully I'm just a day or two behind you. With all the tire cogitation you and I have been through here together, it's fitting that we finally bought the same tires at the same time. Too bad we're 1500 miles apart--we should get them muddy together!

Oh well. My compressor and generator live in the trailer too. And a big old soft contact patch on the floor when trailering in rough terrain wouldn't hurt a thing.

Joe
Remember a tire 3"s taller equates to 1-1/2" taller ride.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I

Joe
Yeah it's funny how that worked out! Had my finances been in order, I'd have made the purchase sooner. I went 500 miles with those golf cart tires!! I'd love a ride with some fellow P500 riders. Someday... In the mean time I guess I'll have to make do riding with all these popular Polaris machines around here. Though last night I rode with a John Deer Gator 850. It's a nice, seemingly well built machine. However it's huge compared to ours. And even though it has that 850 engine, I'd take the P500 in a drag race to 40 MPH. The JD is definitely more of a work machine it seems.

I will definitely get some pics posted ASAP. I know many have posted width specs, but i intend to measure width before and after as well.
Wait till you get your tires! You won't believe the difference in appearance!

Going to be such a LONG day at work...........

Reactions: Sledge and 500oneer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!