P1000 Bilge fan

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this has been discussed before but what would be the best and quietest for eliminating heat 2 3" bilge fans or 4" bilge fan or a 8" radiator fan, I have seen everyone using different kinds also what brands are recommended. Thanks everyone for the input.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It's all a preference to you just make sure it moves enough CFM that is cubic feet per minute for those of you in Rio Linda.

I have a 4 inch bilge fan under my seat that's been there since 2016 pointed directly at the exhaust manifold and it has served me well. With the wife that is. As they say happy wife happy life

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Originally I installed a 4” bilge fan installed like the DEI kit that sucked hot air from under the seat and then blew said hot air out the through the skid plate through dryer vent tubing. Worked well, but started making noise then ultimately blew the fuse. Checked into problem and found bilge fan distorted from heat and the impeller was locked up. I removed the whole setup and installed an 8” spal fan blowing air back over the exhaust headers. Works great now.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's my recent post. The radiator fan is pointed across the exhaust headers and is quieter than a 3" bilge fan.
I do think it's a matter of preference.

As for the fan I used, google:

7" inch Black Slim Radiator Cooling fan 800 CFM Mount Kit

The 800 cfm is a lot more than the 3" bilge fans, but it isn't as directed as when using ducts.

Last edited:
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rigged a bracket for my 3" bilge blower and angled it at the exhaust header. Flip the dash switch and seat instantly cools down.

20220625 123150

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I rigged a bracket for my 3" bilge blower and angled it at the exhaust header. Flip the dash switch and seat instantly cools down.

View attachment 340757

That'll work, no doubt, but it looks like you have the blower mounted so the intake is at least partially obstructed. Best if you can keep obstructions at least a fan diameter away from the end of the intake, more is better. The goal is to have laminar smooth flow (no turbulent air) hitting the fan blades. They will be more efficient, move more air, and be less noisy as well.

Air flow is a whole 'nuther science, and real world testing can show unexpected results. I tested my installation using a hand held anemometer to measure exhaust airspeed with the blower in free air. Installed it, first picture. Then thought I'd "improve" things by cutting off the intake size reducer. Originally I measures 35 mph at the exhaust side. After cutting off the intake "restriction", that was quite unexpectedly reduced to 30 mph. I screwed up. I did order another blower though, so I'll fix my screw up when I have time.

20211210 212543

I got a dumb idea, this should work better! NOT!

20211213 153122

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think from now on, I'm just going reply @JACKAL and let him finish my reply on posts like these. Thanks @JACKAL!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think from now on, I'm just going reply @JACKAL and let him finish my reply on posts like these. Thanks @JACKAL!
@Smitty335 . . . okay, now I'm confused (which in retrospect is not all that unusual I guess), but I went back and didn't see a post, comment, or anything else from @JACKAL in this thread. Are you connecting with him via some sort of medium or??

• Haha
Reactions: Vikes79 and JenElio
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335 . . . okay, now I'm confused (which in retrospect is not all that unusual I guess), but I went back and didn't see a post, comment, or anything else from @JACKAL in this thread. Are you connecting with him via some sort of medium or??
Trying to decipher Smittyisms is an effort in futility. Not sure what the question is being poised, assume it's bilge fans? Anyway, my posts on all these issues go back to the years 2015-2016. Once I dealt with it 6 years ago, I tend to not regurgitate the subject unless asked. I'm not the Pioneer or expert just one of the first handful here to do it and document with pictures.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I know this has been discussed before but what would be the best and quietest for eliminating heat 2 3" bilge fans or 4" bilge fan or a 8" radiator fan, I have seen everyone using different kinds also what brands are recommended. Thanks everyone for the input.
The general consensus is the heighest cfm of "directed" air flow blowing onto the engine headers and flows beck and out the passenger side, say 15-20 degree angle to right rear and slightly down. The fan brands, many have a favorite. Some blow so hard it sounds like a shop vac under you seat. I had good experience with the Atwood 450 cfm 4" fan , you could hear it running but also could tell it was moving the hot air from rising straight up to the seat. Got mine off Amazon.com.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Here is my bilge fan installation, literally from 6 years ago....

Here is what I did afterwards to seal everything up.

Reactions: Rayger143
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That'll work, no doubt, but it looks like you have the blower mounted so the intake is at least partially obstructed. Best if you can keep obstructions at least a fan diameter away from the end of the intake, more is better. The goal is to have laminar smooth flow (no turbulent air) hitting the fan blades. They will be more efficient, move more air, and be less noisy as well.

Air flow is a whole 'nuther science, and real world testing can show unexpected results. I tested my installation using a hand held anemometer to measure exhaust airspeed with the blower in free air. Installed it, first picture. Then thought I'd "improve" things by cutting off the intake size reducer. Originally I measures 35 mph at the exhaust side. After cutting off the intake "restriction", that was quite unexpectedly reduced to 30 mph. I screwed up. I did order another blower though, so I'll fix my screw up when I have time.

View attachment 340853

I got a dumb idea, this should work better! NOT!

View attachment 340854
I couldn't get a good picture angle on the fan. It isn't obstructed but from the pic it would appear it is.

Reactions: Rayger143
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was 88 degrees today and my first good test of the 7" under-seat fan install I posted above. Worked like a charm and the fan was nice and quiet. The better test was yesterday at 88 when my son spent several hours tooling around with a passenger in the back seat. He's 6 feet tall and a big guy. After the trip he said he felt the heat from above, not below, and was very comfortable.

One thing I hadn't mentioned - I use hunting seat cushions (Wally Mart, Cabelas, S-Warehouse, etc.) on the back seats when adults are riding. I can't remember who posted about this, but it changes the backseat experience for adults. Your knees don't bump up by your chin.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen. Please spot me this one unless you're going to make every adult post photos of their back seat experience. Peace out.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It was 88 degrees today and my first good test of the 7" under-seat fan install I posted above. Worked like a charm and the fan was nice and quiet. The better test was yesterday at 88 when my son spent several hours tooling around with a passenger in the back seat. He's 6 feet tall and a big guy. After the trip he said he felt the heat from above, not below, and was very comfortable.

One thing I hadn't mentioned - I use hunting seat cushions (Wally Mart, Cabelas, S-Warehouse, etc.) on the back seats when adults are riding. I can't remember who posted about this, but it changes the backseat experience for adults. Your knees don't bump up by your chin.

I know, pictures or it didn't happen. Please spot me this one unless you're going to make every adult post photos of their back seat experience. Peace out.
I agree. Two great, cheap mods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!