P1000 Block Heater Placement

PattyV

PattyV

Aug 21, 2018
Nunavut, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me and my 2017 P1000-5 are being shipped to the Arctic in the near future and I am making a few "upgrades" to make the -40 C mornings a bit more manageable. I am going to be installing a oil pan heater, inline coolant heater and battery blanket. I have ye old service manual out and the seat off and I am trying to determine the best spot for the coolant heater. After a good look around I have two very viable options

1) I can either install the coolant heater before the water pump on the return from the rad or,

2) On the line leading from the top water pump to the top of the block.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reactions: BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What temp will the coolant heater heat to?
Will it be enough to open the thermostat?
Is it a circulating heater or just an element like an electric kettle?

Personally, I would put it right at the water pump inlet (pg 8-3) Hopefully this will allow the coolant to heat up without being restricted by the thermostat. Your option 2 would serve to more than likely warm the coolant in the rad, which really won't help your engine until it is at operating temp and the thermostat opens to allow that warm coolant into the engine.

Just a few thoughts.

PattyV

PattyV

Aug 21, 2018
Nunavut, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What temp will the coolant heater heat to?
Will it be enough to open the thermostat?
Is it a circulating heater or just an element like an electric kettle?

Personally, I would put it right at the water pump inlet (pg 8-3) Hopefully this will allow the coolant to heat up without being restricted by the thermostat. Your option 2 would serve to more than likely warm the coolant in the rad, which really won't help your engine until it is at operating temp and the thermostat opens to allow that warm coolant into the engine.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks for the reply!!!

Its a Kimpex 375w heater that says it can heat to 200 F, will it reach that... who knows! Its just an element heater, not a circulating heater (having a hard time finding one with a 1' inlet)

With my second option, I was thinking of the hose that runs from the outlet side of the water pump to the top of the cylinder. This is before the thermostat so the heat would stay in the block, but its almost at the top of the engine and we all know heat rises and being close to the top of the block will it make that much of a difference?

My other though was would the water pump prevent warm coolant from flowing through the block with the engine off??

Decisions decision!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your upper hose is connected to thermostat housing, your heater would have to heat enough to open thermostat and push warm coolant into the engine.
If you look in your service manual for the waterpump replacement. It looks like it has enough room for the coolant to circulate behind impeller.

I think installing on top hose at thermostat may not be worth your time.

PattyV

PattyV

Aug 21, 2018
Nunavut, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought I should update this as I have experience a few "cold start" mornings. The coldest being -41c yesterday, or -41.8F with the wind pushing it down to -60c or -76f.

To assist with the cold starts I added a inline coolant heater just prior to the water pump inlet (thanks Neohio!) as well as two Polar Pad oil pan heaters. The first pad, a CP32- 75watt heater, was placed on the bottom of the oil pan. I ended up using the smaller of the two on the oil pan as it was an awkward size surface to mount to. I placed a second Polar Pad, the CP154 - 125watt heater on the bottom of the oil tank. The second pad was a perfect size and mounted with no issue. The last bit of kit I added was a battery blanket and a trickle charger.

I ran the cords for the Polar Pads, coolant heater and the battery blanket to a 3' pigtail cord with the male end sticking out from under the seat. I have a timer set up so that the heating pads turn on 4 hours prior to my morning departure. The trickle charger is always plugged in when ever its parked.

So far I haven't had any issue with starting and yesterday was just cold and it fired right up!

R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bonus you are in Nunavut as well.

Nervous about my sxs- had a bad experience before with coolant heater that cost me an older machine. Can I get a photo of where you installed the coolant heater? I don’t have the shop manual- and did you go with the Kimpex?

Mut’na

Last edited:
PattyV

PattyV

Aug 21, 2018
Nunavut, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bonus you are in Nunavut as well.

Nervous about my sxs- had a bad experience before with coolant heater that cost me an older machine. Can I get a photo of where you installed the coolant heater? I don’t have the shop manual- and did you go with the Kimpex?

Mut’na

I dont have a photo of the final install but here is a photo of the shop manual. I placed the Heater just below the water pump on the inlet side. The heater is a Kimpex, I got it through a dealer down south, tho they claim to ship for free... I have yet to test that up here.

I would highly recommend a couple Polar Pads for the oil tanks. I find they do a great job of keeping EVERYTHING warm, not just the block and with the transmission its nice to know that its all warm and free flowing when starting out.

Just a heads up, with the EPS I have found that if the battery gets to low it will kick off but come back on once the battery is back to a decent charge. I am going to be installing a second battery this summer to assist with that issue.

Hope this helps!
Koana

IMG 6805

R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Perfect, and thanks for the heads up on the EPS. I ordered the 2 pads, trickler, and battery blanket as well. I’ll get on the Kimpex asap. Just waiting for it to warm up a bit outside to mount the tracks.

PattyV

PattyV

Aug 21, 2018
Nunavut, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah.. warmer weather... *sigh* It looks like we might get to the teens next week here in the west! What part of the territory are you in?

Let me know how the tracks work out, I was considering it for fun, but the cost is whats holding me back.

R

Rankin

Feb 19, 2019
Nunavut
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Live in the hub of the central region. Spent 8 yrs in your town, wish I had the set up I have now. The local construction guru over there used to plow/run a cat train 50 miles south to Dismal that would have perfect. Tracks were a whim. Hope they live up to my expectations.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!