BOX1

P1000 Bolt Issues

chipolariverman

chipolariverman

Jun 11, 2019
Malone, FL
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So I have a 2020 P1k3 and I am starting to do some build/modifications to it and have quickly found that I believe all the bolts are torqued to 300+ Lbs or just before breaking and several have stripped out 5mm hex heads. Has anyone found an alternative to these poor quality head designs? I am thinking about putting automotive body bolts back in place, they are already black and have the washer built onto them.

Pulled the doors and latches to install my new doors from Dmims and had to drill and tap 2 of the 3 bolts on the driver's door latch cover. Pulled the engine cover yesterday afternoon and just about couldn't get two of those off.
BoltBolt 2

Reactions: Isaiah
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Much like you, I find I am replacing hardware way too often.
I keep a decent stock of JIS hardware on the shelf from McMaster-Carr.

I think the ones in your pic are m5 though. Might need to see what else they offer in that thread.

I chose JIS bolts so I can reduce the amount of tools needed to carry.
JIS m6 is a 10mm head
JIS m8 is a 12mm head.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have a 2020 P1k3 and I am starting to do some build/modifications to it and have quickly found that I believe all the bolts are torqued to 300+ Lbs or just before breaking and several have stripped out 5mm hex heads. Has anyone found an alternative to these poor quality head designs? I am thinking about putting automotive body bolts back in place, they are already black and have the washer built onto them.

Pulled the doors and latches to install my new doors from Dmims and had to drill and tap 2 of the 3 bolts on the driver's door latch cover. Pulled the engine cover yesterday afternoon and just about couldn't get two of those off.
View attachment 213819View attachment 213820
Seems those hex heads round out easily. I had to cut a 'notch' into the head of some of them so as to receive a punch and drive them out.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club. I changed the color on my door panels when I first got my new rig and did the same thing to 4 of the bolts. I ended up trying to drill them out but in turn just heated the plastic panel which made the hole large enough to get them off. With the panels off it was easy to grab with a pair of visegrips and remove them. They had them so torqued down to the shoulder that there was no way to get them off without stripping the heads. I just ended up replacing with the stock bolts, but I installed them like a normal person would. Snug is enough.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also get in the habit of using an impact driver before a ratchet or allen key.

View attachment 213832

Use the appropriate end attachment for your application. This will help with ruining hardware.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^, I always use my 1/4” impact and hit them forward for a second and then back them out, no issue here.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have trouble with the air cleaner ones all the time they really suck

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!