P1000 Boondocking /Camping Lighting

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I wanted to share my Boondocking / Camping lighting solution. All in under $ 80. I bench tested several times before final assembly. Works awesome !

I carry a 12' custom tripod for hunting so I set up a removable bracket with a 1" solid aluminum round bar.(Last pick) . That's a very handy attachment. Multiple uses may add removable deer winch attachment in the near future. Each stub out holds over 200#

Back to the lights:

24"- 3/8" x1" aluminum flat bar
12"- 1" aluminum pipe. Think it was 1/8. Used 1/2 for top & bottom
6'-3/4"x1/8" aluminum square tube (Slides inside 1" aluminum pipe i.e. removable)
Lights: Exzeit Waterproof LED Work Lights for Truck, 150° Flood Led Light Bar
Carry extra 100 amp/hr battery & solar panel. Incredible light output. I will post the actual amp draw I think it was 5 amps in total .
Everything is collapsible and stores unnoticed on the buggy. This is the unfinished version. I will update the pics and performance numbers in the near future.

Best of luck !

Rudy

IMG 20221030 091102489 HDR

IMG 20221030 091439465 HDR

IMG 20221030 092013365 HDR

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey guys I wanted to share my Boondocking / Camping lighting solution. All in under $ 80. I bench tested several times before final assembly. Works awesome !

I carry a 12' custom tripod for hunting so I set up a removable bracket with a 1" solid aluminum round bar.(Last pick) . That's a very handy attachment. Multiple uses may add removable deer winch attachment in the near future. Each stub out holds over 200#

Back to the lights:

6'-3/4"x1/8" aluminum square tube (Slides inside 1" aluminum pipe i.e. removable)
Carry extra 100 amp/hr battery & solar panel. Incredible light output. I will post the actual amp draw I think it was 5 amps in total .
Everything is collapsible and stores unnoticed on the buggy. This is the unfinished version. I will update the pics and performance numbers in the near future.

Best of luck !

Rudy

View attachment 360811

View attachment 360812

View attachment 360813
Fancy

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wish eliminate the generator and additional gas/Coleman fuel. Everything is solar & Battery powered. I should have transitioned years ago. The output on the led lights is amazing. I will post a pics once everything is set up 100%. Still balancing the amount of amp/hr per day -vs- Solar panel & battery.

The solar panel & Battery upfront cost varies form $ 200 to $ 600 for lithium phosphate 100amp/hr. You can do the Walmart deep cycle setup of around $ 80 then charge at home as need. No solar panel required. You can easily get 4 nights out of the basic non solar setup. Say 4.5 hrs/night. Any cheap solar panel can extend your range

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Back to the lights:

Best of luck !

Rudy

View attachment 360811

View attachment 360812

View attachment 360813
I just use the camp fire for light. HA!

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lights worked better than anticipated. I'm going to throw in a on/off/all rocker switch to lower the amp draw. This will allow me to use 1 or 2 lights as needed. The one light option works great and will draw only 2.2 amps but it's nice to be able to light up the area if needed.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Look like it works really well. I'm looking for a light that I can take from white to red for better night vision preservation.

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yep, I have a couple of Fenix lights. I have been using Zebralights.com for my headlamps for quite a few years.

Back to the Original Post: I take it that the $80 you have in to your project is for the lamp heads, wire, aluminum but doesn't include the power source?

Looks like a ton of light...

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Correct batteries not included. You have 2 options. A cheap $ 80 Walmart deep cycle battery or an advanced lithium phosphate battery setup. Both can be charged at home prior to the trip.

The math is pretty simply based on the 4.4 amp draw I can get 22 hrs (Say 20 hrs) out of a 100amp-hr battery but I really only use the lights at night for 4 hrs + 1 hr in the morning say 5 hours/day. I can light up my camp for 4 days. The lights are so bright I can turn one off and get 8 days out of the system. The mount height facilitates great light coverage.

I actually added a 220W solar panel and lithium phosphate battery setup to extend my stay as needed. I can charge my phone, gps, and other life safety devices without having to worry about power consumption.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Sounds like a great setup!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, I have a couple of Fenix lights. I have been using Zebralights.com for my headlamps for quite a few years.

Back to the Original Post: I take it that the $80 you have in to your project is for the lamp heads, wire, aluminum but doesn't include the power source?

Looks like a ton of light...
A little OT, sorry . . . just to add, I have a couple of Zebralight headlamps also. When I bought them 4 or 5 years ago, to my thinking they were the best thing going in small headlamps - nicely made. With the continuing incremental improvements in LEDs efficiency and light output, I'm sure they are better still now. One thing that doesn't appear the have changed much, if at all, is the complicated user programming interface for changing 2nd layer brightness levels and more. "four double clicks" to do what?? 🤔 Fenix'user interface is simpler and model designs are more prolific.

One new Fenix feature, I like a lot, is the sealing method for the outside micro-SD charging port. Instead of a rubber plug, which can get torn off or is fiddly to use, there's either a rotating collar or part of the light body rotates a few turns to reveal an O-ring sealed port - slick design.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I use the Fenix during my AM/PM walk to my tree stand. It's a fantastic light.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!