P500 Bought a p500

D

dougbo44

Oct 16, 2021
South Jersey
Ownership

1. 500
I made a thread a while ago asking if I was getting hosed on a used p500. I ended up finding a brand new one for about 10K OTD (not really that much more than used) and went for it. Very glad that I did, saving a lot of wear on my vehicle with this little buggy and nice to know that it's not abused by a previous owner.

Have about 500 miles on it now; I take it on very rough """roads""" usually in central AZ. I mostly predator hunt (called in a mountain lion earlier this season, in an area I would never have gone had I not had this little buggy) and that involves a lot of driving into gnarly stuff. I get around 20mpg (maybe more?). I rotate to a freshly oiled and cleaned air filter about every 10 hours/100 miles; it's dry here and the rear panel probably keeps the intake in dust.

I have been reading a lot of the build threads here and appreciate all the knowledge sharing and ideas spread around.

Things I did:
  • Windshield + rear panel
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 56" aluminum (weighs 30lb) tool box on back with some conduit clamps and wood planks. Massive, can hold all the provisions I need for 2-3 days away from the truck and into the backcountry
  • 2" spacers all around. Absolutely neccesary given the state of the areas I ride in. It's still not great, I think I'll get offset wheels for another 4" width.
  • 20$ side mirrors

Things I need to do/ looking for ideas
  • Think I need to install winch, would make hoisting up critters easier
  • Better gun and gas storage. Right now I just stick them on the passenger seat/floorboard. I'm thinking of bolting a flat gas tank to the outside of the toolbox, but not sure about the rifle. Don't want it covered in dust either; especially when I use my AR or semi shotgun it gums up the action so I'm trying to think of a way to keep it in the cab but out of the way. Or maybe in the toolbox, if I can come up with a non-rattley way to mount it in there.
  • Lighting, the stock lighting is not enough IMO. I think a light bar down low and a light bar on the roof will do the job.
  • Fenders, think I'll make something DIY. Even with the 2" spacers river crossings are a lot more wet, once I get offset wheels I imagine it'll be really neccesary
  • When these tires wear out I think I'll get radial 26" or 28" tires. probably 9" all around, I don't have much mud to go through here.
  • Storage under driver seat? I heard you can put a wastebasket there
  • Storage under the front hood? I think I can bungee a tool bag in there or something from what I've seen

That's about it, hope to contribute more!

View attachment 366207

View attachment 366208

View attachment 366209View attachment 366210
Check out Neorexon 21.7" spare mount on Amazon

Garlicfarmer

Garlicfarmer

Jan 27, 2023
Oregon
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I have a 2023 P500 heading my way soon I hope. Been on order for 4 months now.
I plan on spending the winter in Quartzsite this year. Are the stock tires fair for riding the desert without getting flats ? If I have my OHV sticker do I still need a State Lands Sticker. Or does my OHV sticker cover it. Got my first Cougar when I lived in Kingman many years ago. Got it up in the Peacock Mountains while Mule Deer hunting. Quite the rush it was when all alone..I have been living in Oregon for the last 40 plus years. Done a lot of hunting but still miss my AZ. Can't wait to start adding b to my P500. Are the Wheel spacers really help a lot for stability. I am 71 and just cruise mostly. No crazy stuff.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2023 P500 heading my way soon I hope. Been on order for 4 months now.
I plan on spending the winter in Quartzsite this year. Are the stock tires fair for riding the desert without getting flats ? If I have my OHV sticker do I still need a State Lands Sticker. Or does my OHV sticker cover it. Got my first Cougar when I lived in Kingman many years ago. Got it up in the Peacock Mountains while Mule Deer hunting. Quite the rush it was when all alone..I have been living in Oregon for the last 40 plus years. Done a lot of hunting but still miss my AZ. Can't wait to start adding b to my P500. Are the Wheel spacers really help a lot for stability. I am 71 and just cruise mostly. No crazy stuff.
Yes, aftermarket wheels with wider offsets or spacers give these machines much needed stability. Two inches doesn't make much difference fitting through a gate but makes a world of difference in the pucker factor in the seat.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!