P500 Bought a p500

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
I made a thread a while ago asking if I was getting hosed on a used p500. I ended up finding a brand new one for about 10K OTD (not really that much more than used) and went for it. Very glad that I did, saving a lot of wear on my vehicle with this little buggy and nice to know that it's not abused by a previous owner.

Have about 500 miles on it now; I take it on very rough """roads""" usually in central AZ. I mostly predator hunt (called in a mountain lion earlier this season, in an area I would never have gone had I not had this little buggy) and that involves a lot of driving into gnarly stuff. I get around 20mpg (maybe more?). I rotate to a freshly oiled and cleaned air filter about every 10 hours/100 miles; it's dry here and the rear panel probably keeps the intake in dust.

I have been reading a lot of the build threads here and appreciate all the knowledge sharing and ideas spread around.

Things I did:
  • Windshield + rear panel
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 56" aluminum (weighs 30lb) tool box on back with some conduit clamps and wood planks. Massive, can hold all the provisions I need for 2-3 days away from the truck and into the backcountry
  • 2" spacers all around. Absolutely neccesary given the state of the areas I ride in. It's still not great, I think I'll get offset wheels for another 4" width.
  • 20$ side mirrors

Things I need to do/ looking for ideas
  • Think I need to install winch, would make hoisting up critters easier
  • Better gun and gas storage. Right now I just stick them on the passenger seat/floorboard. I'm thinking of bolting a flat gas tank to the outside of the toolbox, but not sure about the rifle. Don't want it covered in dust either; especially when I use my AR or semi shotgun it gums up the action so I'm trying to think of a way to keep it in the cab but out of the way. Or maybe in the toolbox, if I can come up with a non-rattley way to mount it in there.
  • Lighting, the stock lighting is not enough IMO. I think a light bar down low and a light bar on the roof will do the job.
  • Fenders, think I'll make something DIY. Even with the 2" spacers river crossings are a lot more wet, once I get offset wheels I imagine it'll be really neccesary
  • When these tires wear out I think I'll get radial 26" or 28" tires. probably 9" all around, I don't have much mud to go through here.
  • Storage under driver seat? I heard you can put a wastebasket there
  • Storage under the front hood? I think I can bungee a tool bag in there or something from what I've seen

That's about it, hope to contribute more!

InkedIMG 20221210 110109438 HDR

InkedIMG 20221210 110100405 HDR

IMG 20221210 115147049 HDR
IMG 20221210 110219699 HDR

Last edited:
OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I made a thread a while ago asking if I was getting hosed on a used p500. I ended up finding a brand new one for about 10K OTD (not really that much more than used) and went for it. Very glad that I did, saving a lot of wear on my vehicle with this little buggy and nice to know that it's not abused by a previous owner.

Have about 500 miles on it now; I take it on very rough """roads""" usually in central AZ. I mostly predator hunt (called in a mountain lion earlier this season, in an area I would never have gone had I not had this little buggy) and that involves a lot of driving into gnarly stuff. I get around 20mpg (maybe more?). I rotate to a freshly oiled and cleaned air filter about every 10 hours/100 miles; it's dry here and the rear panel probably keeps the intake in dust.

I have been reading a lot of the build threads here and appreciate all the knowledge sharing and ideas spread around.

Things I did:
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 56" aluminum (weighs 30lb) tool box on back with some conduit clamps and wood planks. Massive, can hold all the provisions I need for 2-3 days away from the truck and into the backcountry
  • 2" spacers all around. Absolutely neccesary given the state of the areas I ride in. It's still not great, I think I'll get offset wheels for another 4" width.
  • 20$ side mirrors

• Better gun and gas storage. Right now I just stick them on the passenger seat/floorboard. I'm thinking of bolting a flat gas tank to the outside of the toolbox, but not sure about the rifle. Don't want it covered in dust either; especially when I use my AR or semi shotgun it gums up the action so I'm trying to think of a way to keep it in the cab but out of the way. Or maybe in the toolbox, if I can come up with a non-rattley way to mount it in there.
  • Lighting, the stock lighting is not enough IMO. I think a light bar down low and a light bar on the roof will do the job.
  • Fenders, think I'll make something DIY. Even with the 2" spacers river crossings are a lot more wet, once I get offset wheels I imagine it'll be really neccesary
  • When these tires wear out I think I'll get radial 26" or 28" tires. probably 9" all around, I don't have much mud to go through here.
  • Storage under the front hood? I think I can bungee a tool bag in there or something from what I've seen

View attachment 366207

View attachment 366208

View attachment 366209View attachment 366210
Welcome to the club…Let the good times roll!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Things I did:
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 20$ side mirrors

View attachment 366207

View attachment 366208

Welcome to the club and congrats on the new rig. True 28's will rub without forward arched A arms.

Andyy

Andyy

Aug 25, 2022
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks all!

Lookin good! Here is a suggestion for under hood storage. Fits snug and weather tight without any modifications. Cheap too. I think I found mine at Lowes.
That looks like just the ticket. I'll take some measurements and see what I can find in my tote collection or home depot.
Welcome to the club and congrats on the new rig. True 28's will rub without forward arched A arms.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up, I definitely don't intend on getting new A arms. I don't really need any more ground clearance so likely will just stick with 26's. I figured more sidewall than stock is nice to have for the bumps.
Welcome and remember if you go far into the bush without self recovery gear. Don't go further than you want walk out. Power steering is a great option. Have fun.
Yeah great point! I carry 2 forms of air, tire plugs and cement , roll-up tool bag with wrenches/drivers/tape/other tools; quart of oil; JB weld; SHOVEL (has saved me, haven't needed it with this little buggy yet though); I got a "badland" winch recently just need to rig it up.

Thinking of a spare too, incase I get a cut I can't stuff with plugs enough to get home. Would need a jack too, then, and that might be getting out of hand. Or maybe not, could probably find a light-duty and compact UTV jack.

Last edited:
advertisement
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

Things I did:
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 20$ side mirrors

View attachment 366207

View attachment 366208

welcome from Ohio

H

Henry Pancake

Jul 8, 2022
Phoenixville Pa
Ownership

1. 500

Things I did:
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 20$ side mirrors

View attachment 366207

View attachment 366208

Looks good, welcome from Alabama

Things I did:
  • Rear ASB removal
  • Roof
  • 20$ side mirrors

View attachment 366207

View attachment 366208

Sweet, Enjoy! Suppressor 👍!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Congratulations and welcome from GA. A 3 gallon trash can under the drivers seat. I used a heat gun to soften a small section of the bottom to keep if off a brake line, and also to better fit the P500 top opening. A hair dryer might work also. I keep rarely used stuff in there (air compressor and 12v water sprayer and container of water).

EA5240BB A4E6 493D B1DF 412EA7BF24AC84386727 EF87 4952 8EAD CF36ADF4C60E

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!