P500 Braking problems

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
This site has saved me so much time and energy as I have worked on my machine, from adding accessories to repairing things that I have broken. I appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom from such a broad group of minds. My issue today is my brakes. My pedal acts like I am low on fluid, or have a leak in the system. The first time you press the pedal it has no resistance to it and goes to the floor, no braking. You can "pump" up the pedal a few times and get it "primed" and it brakes fine. I checked all the lines and cylinders, no leaks, no breaks anywhere I can determine. Am I missing something? Thanks!

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to bleed mine too. It is easy... I had a "why the hell did I do that" moment and pushed in the piston on the brake caliper and shot the other side piston out! I knew better too... just got in a hurry.

Reactions: cthack
C

Chooglin

If you bleed the brakes and you still have the same problem, I would say your master cylinder needs replacing..........this is provided you have no leaks "ANYWHERE" !

Reactions: cthack and sharp
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This site has saved me so much time and energy as I have worked on my machine, from adding accessories to repairing things that I have broken. I appreciate all the knowledge and wisdom from such a broad group of minds. My issue today is my brakes. My pedal acts like I am low on fluid, or have a leak in the system. The first time you press the pedal it has no resistance to it and goes to the floor, no braking. You can "pump" up the pedal a few times and get it "primed" and it brakes fine. I checked all the lines and cylinders, no leaks, no breaks anywhere I can determine. Am I missing something? Thanks!
If you still have a warranty have the Honda shop fix it

Reactions: cthack
J

Jshell3

My dad's @HPCedotal500 is currently experiencing the exact same issue. Pedal to the floor. Pump it a few times and it comes back... well, sort of.

About his... (specifically)
  1. Early on, we noticed the wing nut came up missing on his rear brake cable adjustment. His parking brake was useless. We replaced it, quickly (like next day). Not saying this is the reason for the brakes leaking down, but wanted to make you aware in case you saw something similar. (Has nothing directly to do w/ the brake system, I know) - But there may be a correlation, here. As we believe the rear calipers are the problem... but waiting on dealer to confirm.
  2. The rear brakes aren't working even when you pump the pedal. Take a look at your rear brake disk. Is it rusty looking? Like the pads aren't making contract? (even after he pumped his brake pedal up to pressure, the rears pads aren't contacting the disk...) Just the fronts brakes are holding when he mashes the pedal.
We have not determined the issue, but the dealership seemed to think it was an adjustment / bleed issue when he dropped it off.
After a week, they called back and said, something's wrong. It's not an adjustment. We are going to start replacing things.

His is under warranty.

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

It is still under warranty. Thanks, haven't thought about that.
You'll be glad you did. Brakes NEED to work, properly.

Just a warning... The dealership said if there was an adjustment to be done (no parts needed - bleed brake lines or something) then they would bill $$$ for the work.

If there was a real issue w/ a part, then warranty would kick in and cover it all.

advertisement
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
warranty Does cover bleeding your brakes. Honda put it together and if brakes need bleeding then that's on Honda. If it needs adjusting that's on you.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

It is still under warranty. Thanks, haven't thought about that.
@cthack Have you recently made ANY modifications to your P500?
A Arm Guards, possibly?

My dad got the report from the dealership, and you might get a kick out of this... (I did)
The A Arm Guards were installed (by him) backwards. Meaning the left side was on the right and vice versa.
So when he cinched them down, it pinched the brake lines.

The A Arm Guards are from Aluminum Products Inc
And he said they were hard to install. Hahaha.

Just telling you what he told me...

IMG 4190

(This is the proper way to install them - from website)

When the dealership removed the A Arm Guards/ Stick Stoppers... the brakes worked as designed.

Problem solved.

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Thanks for all the advice and wisdom. I finally got around to cleaning it up this weekend to take it to the dealer. It had about 2 inches of thick mud all over it, I have been using it lately on my property to work out of. We have had a very wet winter here in LA, (lower Arkansas). So, after pressure washing everything, got in it, and the brakes work! Don't know what happened. Maybe something was pinched as @Jshell3 suggested. It would have had to been on the back brake, I could see the front brakes well and checked them over before washing it.

Growing up, my dad always had me washing his car, he said that a car runs better when it is clean and has a full tank of gas. I guess he was right about that too!

J

Jshell3

Hey... @cthack where in N.LA are you? I'm originally from North Louisiana and I grew up on Arkansas State line, myself.

Oak Grove, LA

Reactions: joeymt33
cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
Hey... @cthack where in N.LA are you? I'm originally from North Louisiana and I grew up on Arkansas State line, myself.

Oak Grove, LA
I am actually in Texarkana. I heard a comedian once say he was from LA. Had a very southern drawl. His LA was Lower Arkansas. And since Texarkana is in the south west corner of Arkansas, I say I am from Lower Arkansas. I live about 1/4 mile from Texas.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I am actually in Texarkana. I heard a comedian once say he was from LA. Had a very southern drawl. His LA was Lower Arkansas. And since Texarkana is in the south west corner of Arkansas, I say I am from Lower Arkansas. I live about 1/4 mile from Texas.
I'm from the other side

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!