P1000 brand new 2018 deluxe shifting issues

R

razok

Apr 3, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello
I've found this forum so helpful with making the decision to purchase a 1000-5 so thank you all for all the vast knowledge. Now that I took the plunge yesterday and purchased a left over 2018 it looks like I need help on day one. I hope this is not a sign of things to come. I recall some others who had shifting issues on their new machines and it was related to the battery not being charged enough from the dealer. Low and behold I drove 3 hours from the dealer I purchased the new machine from and went to take the wife for her 1st ride and am finding it seems like the unit is in safe mode or something (yes I have the seat belt on). RPM reaches a shift point and then instead of shifting it lurches wont respond to throttle. It runs perfect and will shift if using really low throttle which is all I did at the dealer so I would not have noticed it. Needless to say she thinks I've lost my mind to have spent $16K on this thing. The other strange thing I noticed is the odometer was reading 4 when I pulled out of the garage and we only drove for 2 miles however it is showing we drove 8 miles! It wouldn't go above 15mph except for one time when I switched from auto to manual allowing one short period in manual that it ran like it should. Repeated attempts in all modes I could get it to run right again so I parked it. I have it sitting on the charger now and will try again tomorrow. I really don't want to drive all the way back to the dealer I bought it from. Any suggestions?

B

Bubbadoyle

Mar 28, 2017
Lodi WI
I believe I’ve read where someone had this happen and they had put seatbelt into middle passengers buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: alloutdoors
R

razok

Apr 3, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe I’ve read where someone had this happen and they had put seatbelt into middle passengers buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks Bubbadoyle I'll have to make sure that didn't happen. I don't think it did but certainly worth checking. The milage inaccuracy has me baffled and very concerned. I'm positive we didn't drive that far.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Bubbadoyle I'll have to make sure that didn't happen. I don't think it did but certainly worth checking. The milage inaccuracy has me baffled and very concerned. I'm positive we didn't drive that far.
Make sure it's not set to kilometers instead of miles.

Reactions: alloutdoors
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
8 KM would be 4.97 miles, so it is likely in kilometers, assuming your estimate of distance is correct.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

razok

Apr 3, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure it's not set to kilometers instead of miles.
Ok so this morning after being on a 1 amp charger for about 5 hours it's seems to be shifting fine. I didn't have enough time to check the mileage distance but I did verify it's set to miles not Kilometers. Isn't the mileage/speed a gear generated thing? If so I can't figure out how that could be off I haven't changed tire size.
After reading about all the voltage sensitivity on these machines and how many of you run 2 batteries I'm convinced it's probably a good idea to go that route even if I only have the winch as my only accessory. Does it make sense to use the stock battery as the secondary and get a higher CCA battery and place that in the primary spot? Seems like most guys put the Odyssey 925 as the secondary battery. I'm thinking since I don't plan to have many accessories I'll put the new battery in the primary spot if it'll fit.

Shooter63

Shooter63

Shooter 63
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2019
Longview
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so this morning after being on a 1 amp charger for about 5 hours it's seems to be shifting fine. I didn't have enough time to check the mileage distance but I did verify it's set to miles not Kilometers. Isn't the mileage/speed a gear generated thing? If so I can't figure out how that could be off I haven't changed tire size.
After reading about all the voltage sensitivity on these machines and how many of you run 2 batteries I'm convinced it's probably a good idea to go that route even if I only have the winch as my only accessory. Does it make sense to use the stock battery as the secondary and get a higher CCA battery and place that in the primary spot? Seems like most guys put the Odyssey 925 as the secondary battery. I'm thinking since I don't plan to have many accessories I'll put the new battery in the primary spot if it'll fit.
I would not change the stock settings. Just put the odyssey battery in as secondary and put the isolation relay in and run the winch off of it. That way dealer can’t void any type of warranty issue. Honda designed it that way for a reason don’t change it.

D

DSCKY

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2018
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also just purchased a 2018 over the weekend and your description sounds identical to what I felt when I did not put my seat belt on. I also noticed it is definitely easy to buckle into the middle buckle. DC

H

HondaTech

Check the battery cables, many times they come in loose from the factory. We install battery tender leads on all of ours so they get tightened.

But there's been a few units with the cable bolt threaded in maybe 1 thread.

R

razok

Apr 3, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But there's been a few units with the cable bolt threaded in maybe 1 thread.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll check those terminals. I planned to install a pigtail for a battery tender anyway.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With all models made in South Carolina assembly lines...... check your own bolts on the grounds. They must have torque limiters or something like it because I had 3 loose grounds. Had a lot of weird stuff going on, and hadn't left my land. I spent one hour removing covers and spun every ground till TIGHT. Some went 2 full turns. They were really loose. Then I pushed every plug I could find. Two "clicked" when I pushed them on. Another disaster averted. Well worth the 1 hour. Have driven it for 1 year since then. Not a single issue since. If the dealers really did a "dealer prep" they would catch these problems.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!