P1000 Brand new Pioneer 1000-5 won't idle

vdefender

vdefender

Feb 1, 2021
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2021 P1000-5 with 1 mile on the odometer. It came out of the crate last week and I loaded it up from the dealer in a blizzard on Saturday (3/20/21), fired up and ran fine as it went onto the trailer. 6 hour drive home and when I got home it will barely idle and dies when I try to put it into gear, or if I manage to get it moving it dies when I hit the brakes to come to a stop. It will rev up to high rpm and sounds fine up above 1.5k rpm, but then it drops back down to like 500rpm and sputters.

If I didn't live 6 hours from the dealer, and it wasn't Sunday I would have already taken it back to fix. Right now being Sunday I thought I'd check a few more simple things like battery voltage and connections, oil, spark plugs, IACV plug, fuel injector plugs and TPS plug. I pulled all of those off and plugged back in securely. No luck there. The spark plugs were BLACK, one was wet and one was dry. I cleaned them both with brake clean and a wire brush and put them back in. It fired right up but went right back to a rough idle and dying. I pulled the plugs again and only one was black, the other was nice and clean and dry. That was is baffling because the first time I pulled them both were black, so if it was a problem with just one cylinder I would have thought only one would look bad.

It has all of 1 hour of run time at this point and 3 miles on the odometer from running up and down my driveway trying to get it to run right. I'll be taking it to a closer dealer to me Tuesday it looks like. I thought I'd put this out here in case someone in the future has the same issue. I'll report back what the dealer ends up finding.

vdefender

vdefender

Feb 1, 2021
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Quick update. The factory main ECU harness plugs were not fully seated. These 3 plugs are located directly under the driver's seat. Two of them were not pushed in completely. This fixed it right up. Turns out I was running on just 1 cylinder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!