Break in period and changing oil

mayoaaron

mayoaaron

Jan 30, 2014
I would like to switch to synthetic but am not sure if it's recommended while the machine is still breaking in. Anyone know what process to follow when breaking in the machine and switching oils?

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
I personally would wait until the second oil change to switch to synthetic. You want to make sure the motor is broke in good. One thing a lot of people do not realize is to properly break a new motor in you don't necessarily just baby it. What your looking to do is to constantly change the engine speed and do full throttle accelerations to stretch the rings to their full range of travel. You don't want to hold it wide open for long periods or drive a steady speed all the time and never run a cold motor hard until it is warmed up good.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dick said:
I personally would wait until the second oil change to switch to synthetic. You want to make sure the motor is broke in good. One thing a lot of people do not realize is to properly break a new motor in you don't necessarily just baby it. What your looking to do is to constantly change the engine speed and do full throttle accelerations to stretch the rings to their full range of travel. You don't want to hold it wide open for long periods or drive a steady speed all the time and never run a cold motor hard until it is warmed up good.

+1

Just don't run it so hard you blow it up!

T

talon1979

Feb 26, 2014
Eagle Mountain, Utah
I was ASE certified in parts and tried to educate myself on oil as much as I could. What I can tell you is that synthetic motor oil has came in new cars from the factory (Corvette, Evolution). I can also tell you that synthetic motor oil protects better under extreme conditions. Honestly I would just use the motor oil rating that Honda calls for and change it at Honda's specified intervals. If your engine is stock and unmodified I don't think anything above what Honda recommends is really necessary. The biggest engine wear problem we are going to face is probably dirt getting into the engine and engine oil. I would much rather change my oil twice as frequently as compared to using oil that is twice as much (assuming it meets Honda's ratings of course).

Also, why we are on the topic of oil you can mix synthetic with regular as well as do things like mix 0w30 with 10w30. I know this is going to be completely opposite from what your auto parts guy may tell you, or what you have heard over the years, but it is true, research it from a reliable source.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
talon1979 said:
Also, why we are on the topic of oil you can mix synthetic with regular as well as do things like mix 0w30 with 10w30. I know this is going to be completely opposite from what your auto parts guy may tell you, or what you have heard over the years, but it is true, research it from a reliable source.

I agree that you can mix different type of oils but there has been cases in the past where the oil additives would react with each other. One case I remember 2 different additives in different brands of oil would react to form a type of wax. Although it is probaly very rare now a days I still worry about murphys law.

Synthetic oil does help with engine wear but not if you run it twice as long as regular oil. I agree talon1979 keeping your oil clean is the most important. I plan to keep my pioneer forever so I will be using synthetic. We will see which one of us they put in the ground first. Wish they would come out with synthetic beer!

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
When I took delivery of my Pioneer there was a piece of paper they had me sign that stated I was to use only Honda oil in the Pioneer. Has anyone else had to sign that? I asked my local Honda service manager about it and they told me as long as it had oil in it when they get it I would be fine. I don't see how they could dictate what oil to use as long as it meets or exceeds all the requirements listed in the owners manual.

T

talon1979

Feb 26, 2014
Eagle Mountain, Utah
Dick said:
When I took delivery of my Pioneer there was a piece of paper they had me sign that stated I was to use only Honda oil in the Pioneer. Has anyone else had to sign that? I asked my local Honda service manager about it and they told me as long as it had oil in it when they get it I would be fine. I don't see how they could dictate what oil to use as long as it meets or exceeds all the requirements listed in the owners manual.

There is something called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which would likely nullify any such paper.

I can guarantee you that Honda doesn't make oil, they just slap their label on it. A quick Google search leads me to believe Honda oil is made by Exxon Mobile.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spoke with Honda today about a separate issue. The dealer does not dictate warranty in any way, Honda "recommends using Honda oil" they also like for owners to do their own maintenance...as long as they follow the service manual and document the service.

The "dealer" can not require you to do anything to maintain warranty. If Manufacturer can prove you did something to void warranty....turbo charging, reprogramming, jumping, crashing...then yeah you screwed yourself.

helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd wait till the first oil change then amsoil the hell out of it.
Been using amsoil in all my motors since 1984. You can't beat the stuff

advertisement
C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
helimech said:
I'd wait till the first oil change then amsoil the hell out of it.
Been using amsoil in all my motors since 1984. You can't beat the stuff

+1 on the Amsoil. Will be running it in mine also!!!!!

Reactions: Russ989
helimech

helimech

Feb 11, 2014
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To boot, I will be replacing the front and rear gear lube with amsoil

C

Crushertrash

Jun 25, 2019
Las Vegas nv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is something called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which would likely nullify any such paper.

I can guarantee you that Honda doesn't make oil, they just slap their label on it. A quick Google search leads me to believe Honda oil is made by Exxon Mobile.
I Bet you right on the money .some company makes the motor oil for honda they then put honda label on it and charge a couple of bucks for the name change

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use honda oil and oil filters i write the hours and miles on the receipt and keep them. Mine is still under warranty. Dealer is only twenty minutes away so i just stop in and get it when i need it.

Reactions: Mudwing
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I swapped to syn after the second oil change and I can tell you, the engine noise has decreased. Also my warm up time has decreased as more oil stays on the clutches. I am glad I swapped...

F

Fireflymedic

May 13, 2020
Vernon Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
While we are on the subject of oil do they require motorcycle oil or can you use oil made for cars?

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
While we are on the subject of oil do they require motorcycle oil or can you use oil made for cars?
It has to be JASO rated and for a wet clutch. The owner’s manual says the recommended oil. I use the Honda GN4 10W-30.😉😎

B

Bigseff23

Feb 9, 2020
Lakeland Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think I'm the exact opposite of everyone. I'm in the oil is oil camp. They all have to meet certain standards so why pay extra for synthetic or a boutique brand oil. We used to have a first generation Honda Odyssey van with the 2.2, 4 cylinder. It had 370k and never had to open up the engine and I've ran the absolute cheapest garbage I could find. I'm talking lawnmower grade straight 30 weight..lol run what you're comfortable with and let her rip!

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
For those running Amsoil, are you using the 10-40 ATV/UTV?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!