BOX1

P1000 Broken Bolt mount to A-Arm. 2018 Pioneer 1000-LE

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As menioned previously, it puzzles me why Honda chose to depart from all their previous front upper control arm designs, which were proven to be effective. Nothing about the frame design suggests the need to do it, and no clearance issues are evident. It couldn't be cost savings because both designs use roughly the same amount of materials and the time required to manufacture them is roughly the same. They obviously realized it was a mistake, because they reverted to using the traditional design with both versions of the Honda Talon 1000. Why Honda, why?

S l16002

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As menioned previously, it puzzles me why Honda chose to depart from all their previous front upper control arm designs, which were proven to be effective. Nothing about the frame design suggests the need to do it, and no clearance issues are evident. It couldn't be cost savings because both designs use roughly the same amount of materials and the time required to manufacture them is roughly the same. They obviously realized it was a mistake, because they reverted to using the traditional design with both versions of the Honda Talon 1000. Why Honda, why?

View attachment 211851

I've only bent 2 upper a-arms, both under the shock mount. 1 with stock front shocks and 1 with Fox Shocks. They were hard bottom out events. The upper pivots tabs were stock at the time. Overall the a-arm design seems fine. The lowers on the other hand bend when they see a rock coming.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Something has to give, and if the control arms don't bend or break, the frame will.

I get it but after needing to source my third set of front a-arms, I finally gave up on the OEM parts. I've had SuperATV arched arms on the front for a year with any issues. Between the improved geometry of an arched arms and the added clearance, they hardly have a scratch on them let alone being bent

Last edited:
jp_holy

jp_holy

Jul 6, 2020
Kenton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
STATUS UPDATE

So after calling Corporate Honda Motorsports Customer service for 4 days in a row, and leaving messages with the individual assigned to my case (Kelly). I finally got a hold of someone on Monday (7-13-2020) who was not even assigned to my case (Chris).

He told me that on Friday (7-10-2020) Kelly spoke with the servicing dealer (Honda Marysville) who currently has the machine.. At this time the service manager told her that the regional service manager looked at the failed component of my machine, and determined that it would not be covered under Honda warranty. He said the failed mount showed no signs of stress, or spotting to indicate manufacturing defect?? 🤔 I was also told by Corporate Honda that the servicing dealer have to start a checklist 1st to start a warranty claim. No mention of this checklist being completed, nor have I seen it, if it even exist??

Guess how many phone calls I have received from Corporate Honda & The Servicing Dealer since I dropped the machine off on June 26, 2020. . . EXACTLY ZERO 0! I figured that might be some pretty pertinent information that someone might have wanted to fill me in on at some point, but I guess not. So I called the servicing dealer and finally spoke with the Service Manager to see if they had even assessed the machine for an estimate of the repair cost yet. He, of course told me he would call me back with it. So I had to call him back again! Finally tells me that it is going to be $5,800 to repair. Completely new Frame replacement & Labor. He told me that I should reach out to the selling dealer or company that I purchased the Platinum Protection Package with when I bought it. So I called the company (Compass Powersports) I purchased the platinum 5 year extended protection package with. They told me that I could not initiate a claim on my own with all the photos & explanation of the failure. Told me that the servicing dealer would have to call them to initiate the claim. So I know that they are just going to tell them that they were not going to cover it under Honda's factory warranty & Compass will ultimately decide to not cover it as well. Later in the day yesterday, BTW, I finally received my 1st phone call from Honda Marysville. The GM says, I seen your message and I am not sure what's going on with the machine or how much it is going to be to repair it. I will have to get that information from "the guys" and call you back 😂. I just said, OK. lol. and hung up. I already know what it is going to be, and what was determined by "the guys" but obviously they don't have a clue how to operate a dealership at Honda Marysville. Needless to say, he never called me back.

The GOOD NEWS is, after dealing with all the mentioned above, yesterday (7-15-2020) I emailed the GM & Sales Associate that sold me the machine. Southern Honda of Chattanooga Tennessee. The sales associate (Mitch) immediately calls me, and apologizes that I am having this much trouble with a warranty claim. He says that would have never happened if I took it to them 1st. He told me that the GM was off yesterday, but he is going to be calling me today to make this right. I might, unfortunately, have to drive back to Tennessee to either get the machine repaired or get a new machine, but I was assured that they would get me up and running, and SOON!

I will keep you all posted, and appreciate all the feedback. I'm definitely going to beef up the mounts, and order the arched- A-Arms after this!

I'm completely astonished & sadly disappointed with Honda's response to this. I even emailed the plant manager where the machine was made in Timmonsville, SC. I think at some point, Honda has to own up to the flaw, address it, and make it right! I'll hold my breath, but keep y'all posted! Hope to be riding again, soon!!!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@jp_holy
Do you have insurance on it? It might be worth a call to your agent, let them pay to fix it, or write it off.
Seeing as your VIN has already been put in their system and the claim is denied, I doubt dragging it to the selling dealer will give you a different result.
Hopefully the GM will call you and start the work order before the machine arrives. They may allow you to submit photos to them to submit for a claim. I really doubt Honda Corp will cover this repair.

M

Marcel

Nov 14, 2018
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i had the same thing happen to mine, but I fell through an ice puddle. I didn’t feel like it was hard enough to justify the break and was really not going too fast. I think I had around 500 km on mine.
I ran into one other person that had the same thing happen who felt it shouldn’t
either.
i had to pay out of pocket since we didn’t have collision on our insurance.

cost a few hundred dollars to get welded, he made a whole new piece of metal for it and never had an issue since.

jp_holy

jp_holy

Jul 6, 2020
Kenton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE

Received a call from corporate Honda today. He told me that they are going to send a district representative from Honda to re-evaluate my machine tomorrow and figure out what they can do to fix my machine!!

I had been talking with The Purchasing Dealer the last several days and want to thank the guys at Southern Honda for continuing to help make this right!

I think with the help from Southern Honda, daily phone calls & emails from me, and possibly this forum, Honda wants to step up and do the right thing.

We shall see 🤷🏻‍♂️
To be continued. . . .

jp_holy

jp_holy

Jul 6, 2020
Kenton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
UPDATE:

Called Corporate Honda yesterday, and spoke with a representative that is not assigned to my case. I have called and left a message with the case manager of my case everyday. I have not spoke to her once through the entire process. The representative I did speak with, was able to read the notes attached to my case. She said the District Representative from Honda looked at my machine on Monday. In his notes he stated, "personally, I believe the failure to have been caused by impact, and not material/manufacturing defect" So, I asked her does that mean Honda is not going to cover it under warranty? She said she did not know, and would leave a message with my case mangager to contact me. Ha ha, good one.;)

I asked her if I could speak to the individual I spoke with this past Thursday (July 16, 2020). He is, evidently, the Motorcycle Sales Trainer for Honda in California. She told me that he went home sick for the rest of the day.

I then sent an email to the purchasing dealer, Southern Honda in Tennessee. I immediately received a phone call from the Service Manager. He told me that he spoke with the regional manager, and was told that my case is still waiting for review by Honda Corporate. He said that the Quality/Warranty Engineers meet on a weekly basis to discuss these types of matters, and that the meeting for this week has not yet taken place. The good news is that I have finally got the attention of Honda, and I guess I'll just hold out to see if they decide to make this right. Big Thanks to Southern Honda Powersports in Chatanooga Tennessee! These guys are commited to thier customers, and I have nothing but great things to say about them thoughout this whole process!

If Honda decides they are not going to cover the damage, I guess, stay tuned for a posting. FOR SALE: 2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 LE. SOLD AS IS! But, I'm hoping that does not have to happen!

Stay Tuned, and Safe Riding to everyone!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!