Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Today I got started on a project I been wanting to do for awhile. I'm going to weld in some steel plate to the bumper so I can have a good place to mount a shackle/tow hook to the front. Check out my shackle mount I'll be using if you haven't already-

Overly complicated Shackle mount

Ok in the words of Brisco Darling, let's jump in and hang on! (For the Andy Griffith fans)

After measuring on the bumper where the steel will go, I cut off my piece. I'm using 3"x3/8" flat bar for this project.

I'm guessing either side will need a 15 degree angle so I'll start there. Notice the vice on the saw is rotated 15 degrees.

So here's a 15 degree angle on both sides of a 16.5" long (measured on the short side) piece of flatbar-

You may also notice the marks on either end that are 2 1/8" in. That is where I need to put a slight bend. Protractor says 20 degrees, so that's what I'll do!

These magnetic angle finders are handy. After I adjust for zero (my work bench ain't exactly flat) I can figure where 20 degrees will be, and I mark it on the gauge with blue tape. Here's the bar after heating and bending. Notice the crescent wrench for added leverage while bending.

Using the angle finder helps me get identical bends on both sides. Once that's done, I can do a test fit and maybe you'll finally understand what the hell this is going to turn into!

That's it for now. I'll let you know when I make some more progress.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wow, looks like it will be stout.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I got started on a project I been wanting to do for awhile. I'm going to weld in some steel plate to the bumper so I can have a good place to mount a shackle/tow hook to the front. Check out my shackle mount I'll be using if you haven't already-

Ok in the words of Brisco Darling, let's jump in and hang on! (For the Andy Griffith fans)

After measuring on the bumper where the steel will go, I cut off my piece. I'm using 3"x3/8" flat bar for this project.
View attachment 25230
I'm guessing either side will need a 15 degree angle so I'll start there. Notice the vice on the saw is rotated 15 degrees.

So here's a 15 degree angle on both sides of a 16.5" long (measured on the short side) piece of flatbar-
View attachment 25231

You may also notice the marks on either end that are 2 1/8" in. That is where I need to put a slight bend. Protractor says 20 degrees, so that's what I'll do!

View attachment 25232

These magnetic angle finders are handy. After I adjust for zero (my work bench ain't exactly flat) I can figure where 20 degrees will be, and I mark it on the gauge with blue tape. Here's the bar after heating and bending. Notice the crescent wrench for added leverage while bending.

View attachment 25233

Using the angle finder helps me get identical bends on both sides. Once that's done, I can do a test fit and maybe you'll finally understand what the hell this is going to turn into!

View attachment 25234

View attachment 25235

View attachment 25236

Looking good! That flat bar alone adds to the badassery. Should be plenty strong enough.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

View attachment 25230

View attachment 25231

View attachment 25232

View attachment 25233

View attachment 25234

View attachment 25235

View attachment 25236

Dude that's looking great. Let us know when the shackles go into production. ;)

Reactions: sharp and Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Part two-

With my pieces cut, bent, machined, and ready to go, it's time to put it all together. First thing was to center and square the shackle mount and weld it to the plate.

While that cooled off I decided to remove the front bumper to make the install easier.

And prep it for welding-

Now it's ready to tack in place-

Everything looks square and straight so it's time to burn some metal-

After some cleanup it's ready for paint-

Oh and also, I caught @drfubar's
red spray paint disease!

I think those will look good red, we'll see. Now I just have to wait for it all to dry and I can put it all together.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is that a can of non-stick splatter spray? The first time I used that I was amazed.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have an old oven, I preheat the parts then spray them. Then back in the oven at low heat to dry. Works great for small parts.
Is that hood custom painted or off the shelf?

Reactions: sharp
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have an old oven, I preheat the parts then spray them. Then back in the oven at low heat to dry. Works great for small parts.
Is that hood custom painted or off the shelf?
That's smart. I've wanted an oven in the shop for awhile for powder coating

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also use the over for powder coating. I built 3 sided box using cool deck plywood. I leave the door open and place the box on the open door and it expands the size of the oven by 2. This allows for larger parts. I did an R1 cycle frame once, and numerous size wheels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm anxious to see the results.

BTW: I see the small light bar. It's now useless.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm anxious to see the results.

BTW: I see the small light bar. It's now useless.
Me too. In a rare event I exercised self control yesterday and let the paint dry. When I get home from work it's all going back on. The little light bar won't be covered by the plate, it's right underneath. But you're right when the big light bar is on I can flip the little one on and off and barely tell a difference.

advertisement