P1000 Burned a hole in the floor

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a great trip to Eastern Nevada with old friends. We had several long runs in the Pioneer and when I went to load up yesterday I found a BIG hole in the passenger rear floor where the exhaust had melted the plastic by the header. What a FPITA! Now what...I'm gonna call my selling dealer and sure hope I don't get a BS story. Anyone with a similar hole melted in?

20170919 133650

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
P1000 - Rear floorboard melted

an other member just had what looks like the same panel melt also at the end of last month,
last weekend while on a ride I smelt burning pine tree, at first I assumed it was some of the wild fires we had burning around the area, but after it didn't go away and was getting stonger,
I pulled over and found a small bundle of twigs and branches had gotten cought under the rig and was resting against the heat shield of the exhaust, right under the right rear floor board. scared the crap out of me

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I remember seeing that thread. For me, there was ABSOLUTLY no debris involved. I DID have several long runs where it probably happened By long I mean, 10 miles at 45-50 mph getting back to camp. Ambient was about 70°f with three adults ans some gear. We also did several >60 mile runs each day for 3 days. This $hit really pisses me off.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yours is the second I have heard of as linked above. I would definitely make sure you document it well and have the dealer document it. It appears to be above part of the exhaust that does not have a heat shield.

I am aware of a few cases of Pioneers burning but the amount of plastic on these rigs doesn't leave much to analyze. It takes instances like this to develop an idea of what happened. If your dealer blows you off you should contact Honda Corporate and let them know.

Leonandlisa

Leonandlisa

Dec 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I have about 700 miles on mine without issue, but I subscribed because if I need to do some preventative step before it happens this is how I would find out. Sorry for your issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wonder if there's a possibility the cat is clogged slightly leading to more heat prior to it.

Reactions: GPR1500SC
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think it's the long high speed run. Headers get frigg'n solid read on a steady run. Honda just didn't allow for enough heat protection in this area of the floor to header. Sure hope they stand behind their "Design Deficiency"

Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think it's the long high speed run. Headers get frigg'n solid read on a steady run. Honda just didn't allow for enough heat protection in this area of the floor to header. Sure hope they stand behind their "Design Deficiency"

That does jive with at least one case of fire I read about. They claimed they were running down a gravel road when the fire started. Now there are several issues with the analysis of the pictures afterward but it was confirmed as a burned Pioneer 1000-5 which I believe has been the case in every instance.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
They better stand behind it.One of these catches fire and hurts a kid and it's good bye 1000 and no new models..

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They better stand behind it.One of these catches fire and hurts a kid and it's good bye 1000 and no new models..
I agree. Polaris seems to recover every time from this but Honda is set to a different standard by its customers and things can seriously hurt a reputation. I'm sure these cases will be looked at closely

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I heard Polaris implanted spy's into honda production facilities to sabotage machines for failure due to fire!!
Probably did. At least at this point it's not because of fuel being sprayed onto the occupants

Reactions: GPR1500SC
Sweetroll

Sweetroll

Oct 12, 2016
Boise, ID
www.mh-solutions.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone looked at installing some heat shielding on the under side of that floor panel? I haven’t looked too close on how hard that would be but it should help.

Reactions: joeymt33
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone looked at installing some heat shielding on the under side of that floor panel? I haven’t looked too close on how hard that would be but it should help.

Shouldn't be too hard it comes off fairly easily.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm going to see how they make the repair. I wonder if they have some wazoo factory fix or is it just going to be header wrap and and sheet metal. I really don't care as long as I get a new floor pan and it doesn't melt out again.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
If they fix yours,,,
Than that means they acknowledge it's their problem and a flaw in Their design.
They would have to offer a new letter for the fix for everyone's.At least to protect them selves.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
And it better not be header wrap.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!