ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone looked at installing some heat shielding on the under side of that floor panel? I haven’t looked too close on how hard that would be but it should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added a heat sheild to my rear floor boards

IMG 20170917 162700618 HDR

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought this machine for fun with my wife and kids. I'm a test and development engineer by trade and my time on the trails is my fun time. I've picked up on a bit of heat riding with my buddies and the last thing I need is a kiddo complaining and ruining a weekend on the trails. Hopefully this is cheap insurance for future fun. I'll be out riding again next weekend and I'll see how it works

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Todd, what material did you use specifically? If my rig comes back questionable I'm gonna do the same thing rather than jack around waiting for another hole to melt in.

Reactions: sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Todd, what material did you use specifically? If my rig comes back questionable I'm gonna do the same thing rather than jack around waiting for another hole to melt in.

This is the material that I used. Shipping takes longer than I had hoped but it's nice material (so far)
Shinehome 6mm/236mil Car Trunk Hood Sound Deadener Deadening Heat Insulation Mat Noise Insulation and Dampening Mat Heat Proof Mat 40" x 40"&[HASHTAG]#xFF08[/HASHTAG];10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXGTERY/?tag=sxsweb24-20

It is very sticky but pretty easy to work with. I cleaned the surface with soap and water and then wiped it with isopropyl alcohol. I cut each piece to fit the surface and then pressed it in place working from 1 end to the other to avoid wrinkles.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone looked at installing some heat shielding on the under side of that floor panel? I haven’t looked too close on how hard that would be but it should help.

I currently have the exhaust header off the machine and am sending it out to have it ceramic coated. We will need to run it for a short time like that and ten plan on putting a header heat wrap on it once the coating fully cures. See if that helps with the heat issues.

Reactions: sharp
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is the material that I used. Shipping takes longer than I had hoped but it's nice material (so far)
Shinehome 6mm/236mil Car Trunk Hood Sound Deadener Deadening Heat Insulation Mat Noise Insulation and Dampening Mat Heat Proof Mat 40" x 40"&[HASHTAG]#xFF08[/HASHTAG];10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXGTERY/?tag=sxsweb24-20

It is very sticky but pretty easy to work with. I cleaned the surface with soap and water and then wiped it with isopropyl alcohol. I cut each piece to fit the surface and then pressed it in place working from 1 end to the other to avoid wrinkles.

THANKS!!!

Reactions: GSPKurt and sharp
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a great trip to Eastern Nevada with old friends. We had several long runs in the Pioneer and when I went to load up yesterday I found a BIG hole in the passenger rear floor where the exhaust had melted the plastic by the header. What a FPITA! Now what...I'm gonna call my selling dealer and sure hope I don't get a BS story. Anyone with a similar hole melted in?

View attachment 54353

Well addressing the rear heat has been on my to do list for awhile. After seeing this thread it prompted me to take action and I'm glad I did! When I took everything apart this is what I found. Got hot enough to discolor the plastic. Looks to be in the same spot where yours melted, rear passenger side. Think I call honda tomorrow and let them know what I found. They seem to genuinely care with customer concerns or problems. There has to be multiple accounts of this happening.....I would have never know unless I tore it apart or seen the ground through the floor board! Lol

20170925 201232

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well addressing the rear heat has been on my to do list for awhile. After seeing this thread it prompted me to take action and I'm glad I did! When I took everything apart this is what I found. Got hot enough to discolor the plastic. Looks to be in the same spot where yours melted, rear passenger side. Think I call honda tomorrow and let them know what I found. They seem to genuinely care with customer concerns or problems. There has to be multiple accounts of this happening.....I would have never know unless I tore it apart or seen the ground through the floor board! Lol

View attachment 54823

20170925 201202

Reactions: swsebek
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 54823
Ive been meaning to look into this also...i have some leftover dyna matt. Guess i better get on it. Thanks for posting up.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's the spot. Service manager at my dealer says "Oh, we've never seeneed that before, and neither has Honda"...I think these guys are pathological lies, or they just think we're all stupid. Dang, haven't they heard of this invention called the Internet (developed by Alan Gore....sorry, I couldn't resist...lol)

R

Royalwapiti

Aug 20, 2017
Iowa
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I posted a question a few weeks ago asking about the heat issue. I was considering buying one of these but was concerned about the heat from the mid engine. I specifically pointed out that CanAm is buying back some Commanders due to fires from mid-engine. My BIL had a soda can get so hot in his Commander cupholder he couldn't grab it. They bought it back and he bought the new 1000 ranger.

Some of you said it was resolved with a new kit and they are good units. LOL. I don't think a piece of plastic under the seat will solve the issue of a floorboard burning a hole in it.

I truly think Honda makes a good stuff, but they need to work out the bugs in these things. I plan to keep whatever unit I buy for a long time, my current ATV was bought in 2005 and i still use it. When i use mine i use it, I need it to get me around elk country for two weeks at a time. I can't worry about a freakin fire or burning a hole in the floor or a clutch failing when i go slow. And I am buying brand new because I don't want to have to work on it.

I am pretty sure I am Polaris bound now....later guys. It will take a lot of convincing.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I posted a question a few weeks ago asking about the heat issue. I was considering buying one of these but was concerned about the heat from the mid engine. I specifically pointed out that CanAm is buying back some Commanders due to fires from mid-engine. My BIL had a soda can get so hot in his Commander cupholder he couldn't grab it. They bought it back and he bought the new 1000 ranger.

Some of you said it was resolved with a new kit and they are good units. LOL. I don't think a piece of plastic under the seat will solve the issue of a floorboard burning a hole in it.

I truly think Honda makes a good stuff, but they need to work out the bugs in these things. I plan to keep whatever unit I buy for a long time, my current ATV was bought in 2005 and i still use it. When i use mine i use it, I need it to get me around elk country for two weeks at a time. I can't worry about a freakin fire or burning a hole in the floor or a clutch failing when i go slow. And I am buying brand new because I don't want to have to work on it.

I am pretty sure I am Polaris bound now....later guys. It will take a lot of convincing.

I am picking up faint hint of troll, lol.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yep...no worries there..they dont melt holes in the floor boards they just engulf in flames.:D Good luck with the po po.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!