Burning oil, and fumes inside the cabin on 2019 Pioneer 500?

P

pioneer100

Nov 30, 2020
Boonies
Ownership

1. 500
I communicate better in bullet points, so here goes. First, a description of my recent vehicle purchase.
  1. A couple months ago, I bought a used 2019 Honda Pioneer 500 from a dealer that's about 70 miles away.
  2. Unit was sold on consignment by the dealer, on behalf of original owner who purchased it through same dealer.
  3. Dealer gave the unit a clean bill of health upon delivery. Seems like really good, trustworthy people.
  4. Windshield, winch, upgraded tires, roof, rear rack, and rear soft screen were included
  5. Unit has about ~250 miles on it allegedly, and looks in mint condition
  6. Purchased a 2-year extended warranty from the dealer
  7. Purchased and installed a KFI plow
However, my father in-law noticed that the exhaust looked a bit bluish, as if it were burning oil. Also, whenever we are driving the unit around, the cabin smells up really badly of exhaust fumes and it smells like the engine is running rich, and/or getting the smell of burning oil.

Is this cabin smell normal for these units? Considering the exhaust comes out the back of the vehicle, I'm rather surprised.

I've seen other reports online suggesting that using a different oil might help. I am not sure what oil is currently in it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I wouldn't be too concerned, my 2016 has done that a bit but never enough to be low on oil between changes. Not knowing how your unit was broke in could be partly to blame. I'm a firm believer in the need to run them hard when they're new so the rings will seat....higher cyl pressure forces the rings to seat to the cyl quicker. As far as the oil, they will burn more if you run synthetic vs dino.

Reactions: trigger and Mudwing
P

pioneer100

Nov 30, 2020
Boonies
Ownership

1. 500
Good call, thanks for the info. The dealer / mechanic told me the same thing about breaking it in, to run it harder. Hoping it's just normal for these things and not indicative of an issue. Just wanted to check with the more knowledgeable folks!

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Blueish exhaust is normal all exhaust do this due to heat especially header pipe it hasn't nothin to do with burning oil.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!