P1000 Burning oil. Rings?

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We use PB Blaster at work all the time, works great but it's not a lubricant and I fear damage on restart. Marvel Mystery Oil is a lubricant. No one can tell me which is #1 cylinder, so I'll wait until Monday and call the UTV shop and find out, then treat #1 for a week. Another reason to pour it down the intake tube is you want to smother out #1 so you know you've got enough oil in the cylinder.
Nothing to worry about there, it will burn off pretty quick. Gas is not a lubricant either.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Refer to my previous post, #1 should be the front cylinder.

Why would they quote cases if the rings are stuck?
I’m no mechanic at all but have to ask

how do they know rings stuck?

Leak down I would think doesn’t pinpoint it to rings specifically

I’d ask - did they check compression, if I ever suspected bad rings I’d dump a couple of ounces of motor oil in the cylinder and check compression again and if it increased I knew it was rings and not in the head

I just checked a cr125 last week - 60 pounds of compression - pulled cylinder since it is ez - ring was pinched between piston groove - piston was deformed - no fixing that

Reactions: Buggyman
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think i would take a different approch.I would pull the valve cover and ck adjustment and look for something stupid spring,cam lobe.If all looks ok pull the plugs do a dry compresson test compare cylinders.Then a wet test compare the cylinders.Then put your oil down the plug holes both cylinders let it sit.Then crank engine blow the oil out and put the plugs back in.If you dont do it this way then you have a chance of hydro lock.

Reactions: Buggyman and ChadD
H

HondaTech

I’m no mechanic at all but have to ask

how do they know rings stuck?

Leak down I would think doesn’t pinpoint it to rings specifically

I’d ask - did they check compression, if I ever suspected bad rings I’d dump a couple of ounces of motor oil in the cylinder and check compression again and if it increased I knew it was rings and not in the head

I just checked a cr125 last week - 60 pounds of compression - pulled cylinder since it is ez - ring was pinched between piston groove - piston was deformed - no fixing that

The only way to know for sure would be dissaembly, but if the cylinder looks OK and with the amount of miles on the unit that might have lead then down that path.

If the unit was smoking heavily then worn/stuck oil control rings would make sense since the engine doesn't run poorly due to low compression. I've seen 400EXs run like scalded dogs and still smoke like a 2 stroke.

These guys were probably giving him worst/best case scenarios based on what they found. Usually if I tear an enigne apart to find the for sure problem, I don't reassemble anything if the customer doesn't want to repair it.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well that's not it, it happened all at once, never had anything dripping out of the exhaust, runs great, the bore scope reviled no cylinder washing and no gas smell coming from the exhaust, only time it emitted an oil odor was going down a long hill descend with compression braking. I got this.

Don't listen to that Yamaha guy. 🙄. He's got his rubberband in a bunch 🤪🤣🤣🐦🦩

#NOMO

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The only way to know for sure would be dissaembly, but if the cylinder looks OK and with the amount of miles on the unit that might have lead then down that path.

If the unit was smoking heavily then worn/stuck oil control rings would make sense since the engine doesn't run poorly due to low compression. I've seen 400EXs run like scalded dogs and still smoke like a 2 stroke.

These guys were probably giving him worst/best case scenarios based on what they found. Usually if I tear an enigne apart to find the for sure problem, I don't reassemble anything if the customer doesn't want to repair it.
Couple things I forgot to mention, carbon deposits on top of the #1 piston (borescope), during leak down test they loosened the and soaped oil fill plug. That's where the leak is going, crankcase. It cost me $ 7.00 for some oil, I'll give it a week, pull plugs, pump all the oil out, reinstall plugs and start. Ow by the way, I added the oil at a fast idle slowly until engine died. If it works, it worked if not rings and pistons.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
J
Couple things I forgot to mention, carbon deposits on top of the #1 piston (borescope), during leak down test they loosened the and soaped oil fill plug. That's where the leak is going, crankcase. It cost me $ 7.00 for some oil, I'll give it a week, pull plugs, pump all the oil out, reinstall plugs and start. Ow by the way, I added the oil at a fast idle slowly until engine died. If it works, it worked if not rings and pistons.
really need rate of loss, all engines even new will leak past the rings.......just saying

I just don't trust anyone, no comparable pressure test between cylinders

no leakage rate between #1 and #2

Reactions: ChadD
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
J

really need rate of loss, all engines even new will leak past the rings.......just saying

I just don't trust anyone, no comparable pressure test between cylinders

no leakage rate between #1 and #2
# 2 was within specs, # 1 failed.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@Smitty335
Only as a sidebar -
Once you get your Rooster up and crowing again..
Try some of this for periodic & longterm fuel treatment.

I'm not really a snake oil believer..well kinda. Marvel, yes.
On the recommendation of a heavy mechanic,
I started using Hotshots diesel juice in my 98 5.9 Cummins with great results.
He puts this treatment in his gas toys.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 399388

@Smitty335
Only as a sidebar -
Once you get your Rooster up and crowing again..
Try some of this for periodic & longterm fuel treatment.

I'm not really a snake oil believer..well kinda. Marvel, yes.
On the recommendation of a heavy mechanic,
I started using Hotshots diesel juice in my 98 5.9 Cummins with great results.
He puts this treatment in his gas toys.
I was thinking about using an additive, I'll give it a try. I'm going to let the Marvel soak for six days and fire it up and see if the snake oil has any effect, my Grand Pa swore by it before he tore a motor down.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking about using an additive, I'll give it a try. I'm going to let the Marvel soak for six days and fire it up and see if the snake oil has any effect, my Grand Pa swore by it before he tore a motor down.
I've seen Marvel MO free up locked up torque converters on D10 Caterpillar transmissions, all kinds of large pneumatic valves and pumps that were rusted beyond why are we..
Good luck.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!