HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have a suspicion on how it happened, about four years ago I had a 2 MPH flop, not on its side, but working on rolling. took a while for the rescue squad to catch up, it layed on it's side for probably 40 minutes before being up righted and pulled back on the trail. I think it hydro locked with oil, smoked like the devil when I started it.

Smitty,

I can't think of any way your engine could "hydrolock" in that circumstance. Oil in the crankcase has no path through an open intake or exhaust valve. But with the buggy laid on it's side, crankcase oil would flow up into the bottom of the cylinders and against the oil rings on each piston.

A small amount of engine oil would leak past the rings and into the combustion chamber. That oil is burned away when the engine is restarted hence the heavy blue smoke for a short while.

Loafing along at low speed on the trails, never using full or heavy throttle can cause carbon build up Mine is never run at high speed either but I usually accelerate moderately up to 45mph or so each time I take it out for a ride which is always on pavement.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey guys, I 've got stuck rings on #1 cylinder, had it leak tested, #2 cylinder is fine, bore scoped #1, no scored cylinder wall, exhaust doesn't smoke at all. You can smell it while under compression braking, no oder otherwise. 4,440 miles. I'm going to try a ole trick my Grand Paw used on his old bailer every Summer. I need to flood #1 cylinder with Marvell Mystery Oil by pouring oil down the air intake to #1 cylinder and let sit for a week, Grand Pa unstuck many rings doing this.
I don't know which is the #1 cylinder, front or back?

Last edited:
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys, I 've got stuck rings on #1 cylinder, had it leak tested, #2 cylinder is fine, bore scoped #1, no scored cylinder wall, exhaust doesn't smoke at all. You can smell it while under compression braking, no oder otherwise. 4,440 miles. I'm going to try a ole trick my Grand Paw used on his old bailer every Summer. I need to flood #1 cylinder with Marvell Mystery Oil by pouring down the air intake to #1 cylinder and let sit for a week, Grand Pa unstuck many rings doing this.
Well i will be the bad guy what oil do you use.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey guys, I 've got stuck rings on #1 cylinder, had it leak tested, #2 cylinder is fine, bore scoped #1, no scored cylinder wall, exhaust doesn't smoke at all. You can smell it while under compression braking, no oder otherwise. 4,440 miles. I'm going to try a ole trick my Grand Paw used on his old bailer every Summer. I need to flood #1 cylinder with Marvell Mystery Oil by pouring oil down the air intake to #1 cylinder and let sit for a week, Grand Pa unstuck many rings doing this.
#1 is the one that you had leak tested and bore scoped

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'd just pull the piston and put rings in it. Maybe 4-5 hour job at the most.
Can you re ring without splitting cases? I'd like to try to free up with oil on top of the piston first. The quotes came in at $2,500-$3,800 with cases, which I can't afford right now. Which cylinder is # !?

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't want to pull both plugs on restart, figure treat #1 cylinder and let it blubber for a little until it cleans out in a week.
Mystery oil is good stuff my grandfather used it in both the oil and the gas never had a problem. when the water company came out to turn off the main for me the valve 48" underground and 60 years old was froze, pored some mystery oil on it let it sit while we drank a bottle of water and it turned like a brand new one.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Isn't the air intake is common to both cylinders?

I don't understand how you can pour Marvel Mystery Oil into the air intake and only fill #1 cylinder.

How did you determine piston tings on #1 cylinder are stuck?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Isn't the air intake is common to both cylinders?

I don't understand how you can pour Marvel Mystery Oil into the air intake and only fill #1 cylinder.

How did you determine piston tings on #1 cylinder are stuck?
Read above, all the info is there.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We used PB Blaster to free seized engines.

If you think it really is stuck rings, remove the spark plug and spray some PB Blaster into the cylinder and let it sit for 24 hours.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We used PB Blaster to free seized engines.

If you think it really is stuck rings, remove the spark plug and spray some PB Blaster into the cylinder and let it sit for 24 hours.
We use PB Blaster at work all the time, works great but it's not a lubricant and I fear damage on restart. Marvel Mystery Oil is a lubricant. No one can tell me which is #1 cylinder, so I'll wait until Monday and call the UTV shop and find out, then treat #1 for a week. Another reason to pour it down the intake tube is you want to smother out #1 so you know you've got enough oil in the cylinder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!