Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well I took Rooster to the Hospital ( 2016 P1-5 ) with 4,440 miles and on it, a little over 800 hours on it. #1 cylinder failed leak down test, bore scope revealed carbon deposits on #1 piston. # 2 passed the tests. No dirt particles past air filter ( WHEW ) ! I'm going to have it repaired, I figured it up and have changed the oil 8 times since new. I bet its a fluke broke broke ring.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well I took Rooster to the Hospital ( 2016 P1-5 ) with 4,440 miles and on it, a little over 800 hours on it. #1 cylinder failed leak down test, bore scope revealed carbon deposits on #1 piston. # 2 passed the tests. No dirt particles past air filter ( WHEW ) ! I'm going to have it repaired, I figured it up and have changed the oil 8 times since new. I bet its a fluke broke broke ring.
Didn't we hear about a P5 that the ECM was firing the fuel injector in an uncontrolled way?
I thought i was a coil but the hondatech guy said that the coils almost never fail.
And the dealer tried selling the guy a new injector when the problem was the ECM?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Didn't we hear about a P5 that the ECM was firing the fuel injector in an uncontrolled way?
I thought i was a coil but the hondatech guy said that the coils almost never fail.
And the dealer tried selling the guy a new injector when the problem was the ECM?
HUGH? You can't do a compression test on injectors or an ECM? My issue isn't electrical, it's compression related.

Reactions: ChadD
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
HUGH? You can't do a compression test on injectors or an ECM? My issue isn't electrical, it's compression related.
Try to follow me bro, injector shoots too much fuel into the cylinder.

The fuel washes the lubrication off the cylinder wall.

Dry condition in cylinder wears the cylinder prematurely.

Could be a broken ring but if it's not, you are going to have to think of something else.

H

HondaTech

We had an issue like that with a 2018 model Unit would load up and black smoke, idle weird and run funny under load.

We found the ECM was doing just that, pouring too much fuel into the rear cylinder.

If this were the case the unit would exhibit very evident symptoms before it ever got to that point.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We had an issue like that with a 2018 model Unit would load up and black smoke, idle weird and run funny under load.

We found the ECM was doing just that, pouring too much fuel into the rear cylinder.

If this were the case the unit would exhibit very evident symptoms before it ever got to that point.
Have you seen any broken rings?

I know I haven't on the GP Engines side.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Try to follow me bro, injector shoots too much fuel into the cylinder.

The fuel washes the lubrication off the cylinder wall.

Dry condition in cylinder wears the cylinder prematurely.

Could be a broken ring but if it's not, you are going to have to think of something else.
Well that's not it, it happened all at once, never had anything dripping out of the exhaust, runs great, the bore scope reviled no cylinder washing and no gas smell coming from the exhaust, only time it emitted an oil odor was going down a long hill descend with compression braking. I got this.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

N/A in my case.

Reactions: ChadD and Backwoods
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've only been in 1 customer Pioneer/Talon engine, that was due to water ingestion and spun rod bearings

Our race car is on engine #3 for other various reasons. But no broken rings
I can think of one broken oil ring over the last 40 years.

And the only time I have seen a broken piston was due to a dropped valve or ingesting a wing nut or screw.

We also have seen a few broken pistons from water ingestion on power washers.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can think of one broken oil ring over the last 40 years.

And the only time I have seen a broken piston was due to a dropped valve or ingesting a wing nut or screw.

We also have seen a few broken pistons from water ingestion on power washers.
I'm going to find out next week! No scored cylinder wall.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
im going with way too many oil changes as the cause and the problem being in the valve train for $100

talk about oil change FU money - probably amsoil as well

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've only been in 1 customer Pioneer/Talon engine, that was due to water ingestion and spun rod bearings

Our race car is on engine #3 for other various reasons. But no broken rings
I have a suspicion on how it happened, about four years ago I had a 2 MPH flop, not on its side, but working on rolling. took a while for the rescue squad to catch up, it layed on it's side for probably 40 minutes before being up righted and pulled back on the trail. I think it hydro locked with oil, smoked like the devil when I started it.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Christ -
I have a suspicion on how it happened, about four years ago I had a 2 MPH flop, not on its side, but working on rolling. took a while for the rescue squad to catch up, it layed on it's side for probably 40 minutes before being up righted and pulled back on the trail. I think it hydro locked with oil, smoked like the devil when I started it.
Sweet Jesus - always more to the story

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!