BOX1

P1000m5 Buy OEM Aluminum Skid Plates or wait for UHMW?

AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the red Honda 1000-5 Deluxe up in Alaska. One of the first on the pre-order list, so I'm hoping I get a call from the dealer soon!

Are you planning to go with the OEM Aluminum skid plates, or wait for a UHMW kit? I was planning to wait for someone to come out with aftermarket UHMW skids myself. From what I have seen, the UHMW "slide" over rocks better than the Aluminum.

Does anyone know if the machine comes stock with a stout frame along the running board area? I come down pretty hard on rocks/boulders pretty often when crossing small creeks, so need to make sure that area is able to handle the abuse. Now that I see 28s are about as big as we can go w/o a lift, I will need the skid plates for sure.

AKTMW

DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the red Honda 1000-5 Deluxe up in Alaska. One of the first on the pre-order list, so I'm hoping I get a call from the dealer soon!

Are you planning to go with the OEM Aluminum skid plates, or wait for a UHMW kit? I was planning to wait for someone to come out with aftermarket UHMW skids myself. From what I have seen, the UHMW "slide" over rocks better than the Aluminum.

Does anyone know if the machine comes stock with a stout frame along the running board area? I come down pretty hard on rocks/boulders pretty often when crossing small creeks, so need to make sure that area is able to handle the abuse. Now that I see 28s are about as big as we can go w/o a lift, I will need the skid plates for sure.

AKTMW
very stout pic shows outer rails are bolt on and can be replaced if damaged. I have never seen another machine thinking this far ahead. Very innovative. Smart.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 568
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 518
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Def wait for UHMW!

They're not cheap but they are GOOD. The material itself has several properties that work well for skids.

self lubricating- means you slide over stumps, rocks, berms. Aluminum catches on these things UHMW helps you get past them.

Abrasion resistance - means your not replacing them as often as aluminum, I know sounds backwards that an engineered plastic is more durable than metal. Glocks are a polymer lower so are Springfield XD's. UHMW is also used on materials conveyors and dump trucks because of its abrasion resistance over steel.

Resilience-UHMW flexes but goes back to its original shape, aluminum doesn't it stays bent.

Trail Armor skids are pretty good quality, and WERE a reasonable price haven't looked at skids in a while. They were similar to the ones I sold.

I am making my own out of 1/2" UHMW when I finally take delivery of my 1000 (no I will not be selling them again, don't have time for that)

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
Def wait for UHMW!

They're not cheap but they are GOOD. The material itself has several properties that work well for skids.

self lubricating- means you slide over stumps, rocks, berms. Aluminum catches on these things UHMW helps you get past them.

Abrasion resistance - means your not replacing them as often as aluminum, I know sounds backwards that an engineered plastic is more durable than metal. Glocks are a polymer lower so are Springfield XD's. UHMW is also used on materials conveyors and dump trucks because of its abrasion resistance over steel.

Resilience-UHMW flexes but goes back to its original shape, aluminum doesn't it stays bent.

Trail Armor skids are pretty good quality, and WERE a reasonable price haven't looked at skids in a while. They were similar to the ones I sold.

I am making my own out of 1/2" UHMW when I finally take delivery of my 1000 (no I will not be selling them again, don't have time for that)

How hard are these to make, and what kind of tools do you need? I lots of woodworking tools as well as some metal working stuff. Can you buy this stuff in a sheet?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can buy it in a sheet probably need a 4x10 I did for the 700 and they are close in size.

You can cut it with most wood working tools. To bend it you will need a torch and an IR thermometer. It can't get too hot when you bend it or the long chain molecular bonds break down and it will crack and loose it's engineered properties.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get "black non-reprocessed" if possible, it's more but it's more durable.

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
You can buy it in a sheet probably need a 4x10 I did for the 700 and they are close in size.

You can cut it with most wood working tools. To bend it you will need a torch and an IR thermometer. It can't get too hot when you bend it or the long chain molecular bonds break down and it will crack and loose it's engineered properties.
What is an IR thermometer? Did you start out with a cardboard template? How did you fasten it to the machine?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IR, Infra Red(non contact)

I countersunk the bolt heads so they didn't get bent or sheared off.

M6-1.0 bolts 30-40mm long depending on what thickness you go with
Ea38728b1597f4cfb421bb3c862b2250
From- McMaster Carr

Tighten them by hand after you have carefully countersunk the holes in the UHMW, you can over tighten and pull the heads through the UHMW, they won't pull through on impacts on the UHMW, because it is a shearing stress on the bolt shaft not a pulling load on the bolt heads.

If yours are already bent use these because the threads as a PITA to fix, just make new ones.
Trust me, there are not enough 4letter words when you're flat on your back on a cold concrete floor fighting metric threads. Your tools, wife/gf, and your sanity will appreciate it.
Cba9d86672bac85d66ba5f31803b8527

D

DRB

Oct 28, 2015
IR, Infra Red(non contact)

I countersunk the bolt heads so they didn't get bent or sheared off.

M6-1.0 bolts 30-40mm long depending on what thickness you go with
Ea38728b1597f4cfb421bb3c862b2250
From- McMaster Carr

Tighten them by hand after you have carefully countersunk the holes in the UHMW, you can over tighten and pull the heads through the UHMW, they won't pull through on impacts on the UHMW, because it is a shearing stress on the bolt shaft not a pulling load on the bolt heads.

If yours are already bent use these because the threads as a PITA to fix, just make new ones.
Trust me, there are not enough 4letter words when you're flat on your back on a cold concrete floor fighting metric threads. Your tools, wife/gf, and your sanity will appreciate it.
Cba9d86672bac85d66ba5f31803b8527
Thanks for the helpful information. I will order this and the screws as soon as I get my 1000. Where did you order your screws? Also, how did you bend the plastic? Just looking at the diagrams, I think I would clamp it down on a table or workbench, heat it, and bend it over the edge. Did you heat it to a certain degree or just heat it long enough to bend it?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
McMaster Carr

SLOWLY SLOWLY heated it to temp along the bend line and about 1" either side. Bent it a little past where it needed to be and held it there till it cooled.

Reactions: bobbyhill
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the helpful information. I will order this and the screws as soon as I get my 1000. Where did you order your screws? Also, how did you bend the plastic? Just looking at the diagrams, I think I would clamp it down on a table or workbench, heat it, and bend it over the edge. Did you heat it to a certain degree or just heat it long enough to bend it?

Screws 6 mm x 1.0 - length depends, buy at homedepot. Countersink washers on ebay, they are 1.5" diameter or 1.75" dont recall of top of my head , and ebay is blocked at my work , but the item number on ebay was Item# 221908160317.

I will write my expirience with UMHW skid plate DIY manual for P500, that you can use for any machine. May be
ohanacreek will share his plate dimensions and design. But simply take off original and make your own. Very simple. Not a rocket science. I think just one of P1000 owner has to step up and make a template and share dimensions. I was lucky enough to get access to my friend farmer shop he also builds racing boats , so he has like a small lift "crane" .

4x10 3/8 sheet is about 310$ plus 80-90$ shipping. Minimal tools: hand circular saw, forstner bits x 2, drill and heat gun, possibly.

Here is my post for reference, I'm not finished yet, but soon will pciture and post all tools and tip/bids : P500 - SKID PLATE DIY SOLRUS VERSION :) | The Honda Side by Side Club!

blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015
Screws 6 mm x 1.0 - length depends, buy at homedepot. Countersink washers on ebay, they are 1.5" diameter or 1.75" dont recall of top of my head , and ebay is blocked at my work , but the item number on ebay was Item# 221908160317.

I will write my expirience with UMHW skid plate DIY manual for P500, that you can use for any machine. May be
ohanacreek will share his plate dimensions and design. But simply take off original and make your own. Very simple. Not a rocket science. I think just one of P1000 owner has to step up and make a template and share dimensions. I was lucky enough to get access to my friend farmer shop he also builds racing boats , so he has like a small lift "crane" .

4x10 3/8 sheet is about 310$ plus 80-90$ shipping. Minimal tools: hand circular saw, forstner bits x 2, drill and heat gun, possibly.

Here is my post for reference, I'm not finished yet, but soon will pciture and post all tools and tip/bids : P500 - SKID PLATE DIY SOLRUS VERSION :) | The Honda Side by Side Club!

If you don't mind my asking, where did you order your sheet of UHMW from? I'm not having much luck looking and most of what I find is white.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don't mind my asking, where did you order your sheet of UHMW from? I'm not having much luck looking and most of what I find is white.
Thanks in advance.

No at at all. :) Not going to support greedy MAP supporters :). MAP supporters also bought from them in the past.

Find guys from your town who also want skid plates and buy few, since shipping difference is almost none for higher amount.
Google also distributors , I found one in St. Louios , MO also.

Redwood Plastics Corp.
Spokane, WA 99206 LocationsMap icon
Contact Company: 800-222-7772

Last edited:
BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn

AKTMW
I fabricated these for underneath floor board area for my 1000

Last edited:
A

armyLZ

Nov 17, 2015
I got a 5' x 10' 3/8" thick UHMW sheet from a local plastic supply store and made my own. This size sheet covers the machine in 1 piece, plus leaves you enough scrap to make A-arm protectors and mudflaps if wanted. For the side running boards I used 3/8" rivnuts to hold the plastic on. I've seen guys just drill and tap those also but I think rivnuts will hold up longer. The stuff is easy to work with, jig saw is all i used to cut it. Just pop of the stock skid and use it as a template. I used a heat gun at 1040 degrees to 'fold' the plastic for the A-arm guards, but I'd bet a hair dryer would work also

20151213 184215 20151219 103529 20151220 095412

BIGRACK

BIGRACK

Jan 22, 2016
Dayton Tenn
I got a 5' x 10' 3/8" thick UHMW sheet from a local plastic supply store and made my own. This size sheet covers the machine in 1 piece, plus leaves you enough scrap to make A-arm protectors and mudflaps if wanted. For the side running boards I used 3/8" rivnuts to hold the plastic on. I've seen guys just drill and tap those also but I think rivnuts will hold up longer. The stuff is easy to work with, jig saw is all i used to cut it. Just pop of the stock skid and use it as a template. I used a heat gun at 1040 degrees to 'fold' the plastic for the A-arm guards, but I'd bet a hair dryer would work also

View attachment 10214 View attachment 10215 View attachment 10216
looks good I also riveted mine on less hanging down to grab on something steel rivets way to go

M

mtaa12

Jan 2, 2016
Just wondering if the full shield would cut down on some of the dust circulating in the cab area. We live in rural S. GA and it's almost unbearable at 35 plus mph.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!