Camping/riding trips??

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I am looking into purchasing a SxS. Really considering a Pioneer 500, but I'm not sure yet. Anyways, im wondering if anyone on here is into camping/riding adventures. I'm talking about packing all your necessary camping/riding gear along with you, and riding for a few days at a time and setting up camp from one spot to another? Currently, we setup a base camp, ride for the day, and return to base camp at the end of the day. If I purchase a SxS, I'd really like to expand my riding territory, and pack everything with me I need to "rough it" for a few days. Would the Pioneer 500 handle something like this well?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi rlutech,
I want to go... lol
I cant never get any of my buddies to ride like this. But now that I have all these new friends here from all around the country I may just have to put together a 3 day trip just like you are describing.

To answer your question. The P700-4 would be my #1 pick for a trip like this as the rear ROPS would allow for huge cargo capabilities. But we are on the topic of the P5 here. In its factory forum I would say no to a multi day trip.
But add a few things and I think it would be a very dependable rig capable of handling all your gear.
- Tires
- Rear bed
- Winch
- Light bar
- Spar tire

If/When you do go, we would love to see some adventure pictures.
Thanks.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, would defiantly have to swap out the factory tires right away for a set of bighorn's, 26" or 27". Probably a roof and winch as well.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Do you take these kind of trips with your Rincon now?

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I have never gone on a trip like this always do what you do. We have a toy hauler and take our pioneer everywhere we go. Call me soft but after a long hot ride their is nothing than coming back and taking a hot shower in my camper making dinner and an adult beverage and starting the fire. Damn summer can't come soon enough.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
wyo700 said:
I have never gone on a trip like this always do what you do. We have a toy hauler and take our pioneer everywhere we go. Call me soft but after a long hot ride their is nothing than coming back and taking a hot shower in my camper making dinner and an adult beverage and starting the fire. Damn summer can't come soon enough.

We use tents currently which does the job. I would defiantly love having the comforts of a trailer. I just think a "camp as you ride" type trip would be something to add extra adventure. Do you have a pioneer 500?

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I have a pioneer 700-4. Have gone on some pretty good rides. One last summer that consisted of 130 miles and 10 hours of riding. While the trip was fun it could have been cut in half. You don't realize how tired you can get from a ride that long until it's over. Definitely needed a shower after that trip.

jimk

jimk

Feb 19, 2014
I have always wanted to do something like this also. I would love to head out, drive for hours, check out new scenery each day, camp, and repeat.
A couple years ago my cousin and I met a few others at the sand dunes at Silver Lake State Park in western Michigan. We spent a day there, stayed at a campground, and rode the trails in Manistee National Forest the next 2 days. I would do that again in a heart beat. But, I am really looking forward to camping along a trail. Maybe someday.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
i think you want one of these. I do both style of camping with the 700. wife wont go on the sleep in the woods trips but the dogs will.
its still a work in progress I hope to finish it this summer. it under 2 feet of snow right now.
I would love to have it out west were the trails are endless and you can camp almost any where. we have more trail than you can ride in a long week but camping has to be stealthy. all private land in nh. there are enough camp grounds so you can go from one to the other but that's not roughing it.

I have been thinking about getting some people together this summer for a long week end to do some touring. I will work on that after the windrock trip.

Attachments

• camper.jpg
    camper.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 370
  • camper two.jpg
    camper two.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 367
  • camper 3.jpg
    camper 3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 383
spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I made this one for the wing used it one year traveled all over the south. haven't used it in a couple of years I thinking of making an exo skeleton for it and some off road suspension and using it behind the 4 wheeler. its a lot lighter. if I remember rigfht it was 265 pounds with mattress and sleeping bags. that's a far cry from the 800 pounds the other one is.

Attachments

• teardrop.jpg
    teardrop.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 321

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!