Talon Can we get the wheel offsets straight for once?

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
In the crawler/truck world, we just use backspacing and it's very simple. Less backspacing or a wider wheel with the same backspacing will widen your track width.

All this negative 33.3123 mm offset or 5+2 stuff is just silly.

But I think I got it figured out.

So stock front wheels are 6.5" with a 50 mm offset. Doing the math, that is basically a 5.25+1.25. So to stay as close to stock width. You're going to want a 6+1. If you want to get technical, it will actually narrow it a hair since you have a 1/4" less lip and 3/4" more shell on the back. But, most are running a wider tire than the stock 9" so it's kinda a moot point. Also, a 5+2 isn't that far off either, since it's actually less than 1" more lip, but it will be wider than stock.

In the rear you have an 8" wheel with 33 mm offset. Which is a 5.25+2.75. Matching this is a little more tricky, since most aftermarket wheels are 7" wide. If you go with a 5+2 that will give you 3/4" less lip, but the inside bead will be closer to the hub, slightly compensating for that. A 4+3 will be 1/4" more lip, but the inside bead will be 1 1/4" closer to the hub, basically adding more width.

In my opinion, just based on the wheel numbers, if you are trying to match the stock width as perfect as possible 6+1 front and 5+2 in the rear *should* be the ticket. 5+2 front and 4+3 rear should net you a slightly wider stance. This doesn't factor in tire width so that's another thing to consider if you really want to get technical.

Personally, I like to have the rear a hair narrower than the front, so when I go to buy wheels, my plan is 5+2 front and rear. That way the rear tries to follow the front more in turns.

One thing that would be nice to have, is the actual hub to hub measurements front vs rear. Unfortunately, I don't have access to mine at the moment, so I can't add it yet.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything, still trying to get this sxs stuff straight.

H

HondaTech

From our experience System3 6+1 Front and 4+3 are close with the same size tire all around. With no spacers the rear is still around an inch narrower, center to center.

My GM's R has stock wheels with same size Pro Armours and he feels the narrowness of the rear is causing issue when cornering while racing, haven't tried it with the new suspension set-up yet to see if its effective enough to counteract.

Reactions: Smitty335 and IDIOT
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
From our experience System3 6+1 Front and 4+3 are close with the same size tire all around. With no spacers the rear is still around an inch narrower, center to center.

That's makes sense when you factor in going to 10" tires all around. Have you guys installed the stock(or at least stock width) tires on a set of aftermarket wheels?

Also, sidewall to sidewall are the track widths the same with the stock tires and wheels?

My GM's R has stock wheels with same size Pro Armours and he feels the narrowness of the rear is causing issue when cornering while racing, haven't tried it with the new suspension set-up yet to see if its effective enough to counteract.

I was thinking about it and going to 10" tires all around doesn't seem like it would really change anything. It gains a 1/2" per side in the front and looses a 1/2" per side in the rear. So overall it's 2" narrower in the rear with the stock wheels and 10" tires vs just stock tires.

Reactions: Smitty335
C

CaptMilks

Nov 17, 2022
Ownership

1. Talon R
Older post but playing with this. My 2021 1000R is about a inch wider in the rear. Looks like the hubs in the rear sit inside the front by about 1/2 each. However that is math from the tire not the wheel. Taking into account the tires width from the sidewall deflection you may loose a 1/2 inch, so the rear hubs are about 1/4 inch inside the fronts (1/2 total) It seems to me you could use a 5+2 with a inch spacer on the rear or a 5+2 front and a 4+3 rear. These increase your width a little. If you used a 6+1 front and a 5+2 rear you get a narrower track but the front inside rim is closer inboard. So I guess the 6+1 and 4+3 would be good but wouldn't the 5+2 and 4+3 be better The front to rear track would be closer and front would be closest to stock?

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!