ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
So I recently replaced my front brake pads. I have a squealing noise, so that was the first thing I checked. The brakes were worn out, but not metal to metal. Put the new pads on, rode a bit, and the noise returned. So I checked the back brakes. The arrows weren't even close to lining up, but I disassembled them anyway. There was some mud build up in the caliper, but the pads are practically still new. Cleaned up things and re-assembled. Noise is still there. I tried pulling the parking brake slightly while I heard the noise - the parking brake did not make the noise go away when I pulled the lever. So now i'm pretty sure the noise is not brake related, even though it sounds like brake squealing.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's pretty annoying - high pitched squeal that is persistent. It is most noticeable when moving at low speeds, or like when I'm slowing down to pull off the road. I haven't noticed excessive mud and grass around the axles or anything else like that. What else should I check???

Reactions: Shadesmn
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Here are some pics of the rear brake pads when I removed them. You can see the shims and backing plate bent from mud being jammed in there. A01db159c21a28f76c097875b0d8016f
103f70316ff0373aa2c680210dfe773a726c556b446f066261af316de25f4c5f
3c7fb0b83d59d3cf939df8b21d032d59

I pulled them off and cleaned all the mud out, and straightened the metal plate so it is flat again. Didn't help my noise, but just thought I'd post the pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rocmar
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
But I like JTW's response.

I had a rock stuck so that it rubbed against the rotor.
I assume you mean it squeals only when moving. (Like brakes)
It seems like it would have to be and object/debris or maybe your pads are just causing it. New pads or a really serious cleaning of the existing pads should resolve that.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

It seems like it would have to be and object/debris or maybe your pads are just causing it. New pads or a really serious cleaning of the existing pads should resolve that.

Well that was exactly how I diagnosed it... so i installed brand new OEM front pads (they were worn out) and cleaned everything. No difference. So I removed the rear pads and cleaned everything. The pads were still in great shape so I put them back in. I made sure nothing is rubbing the rotor, other than the pads. I know what you mean about having a rock in there - I've heard that noise. My noise isn't quite that loud. If you're going more than probably 10 MPH you can't hear it. But when you're riding in trails at lower speeds it's constant, and it is loud enough to be very annoying. I was very surprised when the noise returned after removing and reinstalling the rear pads.

J

JTW

He's clearly never had a cat crawl up and get caught in a fan belt!

I would replace the pads again.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So I recently replaced my front brake pads. I have a squealing noise, so that was the first thing I checked. The brakes were worn out, but not metal to metal. Put the new pads on, rode a bit, and the noise returned. So I checked the back brakes. The arrows weren't even close to lining up, but I disassembled them anyway. There was some mud build up in the caliper, but the pads are practically still new. Cleaned up things and re-assembled. Noise is still there. I tried pulling the parking brake slightly while I heard the noise - the parking brake did not make the noise go away when I pulled the lever. So now i'm pretty sure the noise is not brake related, even though it sounds like brake squealing.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's pretty annoying - high pitched squeal that is persistent. It is most noticeable when moving at low speeds, or like when I'm slowing down to pull off the road. I haven't noticed excessive mud and grass around the axles or anything else like that. What else should I check???

Check for small rocks in rear brake or jammed up in front brake system. May also try brake quiet from an auto parts store spaying it on the disc.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JTW
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I had the same issue...what was strange was after going through water it stopped for a while then came back...I never did find out what it was but it went away after about 50 miles of riding. I've had several strange noises on this machine I have to say...Now I have a bad squeak while turning the wheel while stopped,,,driving me crazy-LOL

J

JTW

I had the same issue...what was strange was after going through water it stopped for a while then came back...I never did find out what it was but it went away after about 50 miles of riding. I've had several strange noises on this machine I have to say...Now I have a bad squeak while turning the wheel while stopped,,,driving me crazy-LOL
I'm guessing it's something in the pad.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I agree, it's a small rock somewhere.

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

You hear every noise that the P5 makes though. Just ride buddy!!;)

Reactions: SBuckJ and ehart814
hobbytrucker

hobbytrucker

Jun 14, 2016
digby ns
Ownership

1. 500
mins does it but its really noticeable when I turn to the right id say its brakes

M

Molo

Mar 18, 2019
Macclenny, FL
Ownership

1. 500
mins does it but its really noticeable when I turn to the right id say its brakes
Did you ever figure it out? Mine is doing the same thing and mine is only a few months old. I cleaned my breaks as well but it didn't help at all. My breaks are in good shape too. Are there bearing hubs on these things. I haven't pulled the axles to check that.

G

goonack

Lifetime Member
Sep 18, 2019
leota mn 56153
Ownership

1. 500
I would say brakes. many brake pads are semi-metalic [ ground up metal mixed in] when thet get wet the rotors are washed clean of brake material this can cause a metal on metal sqeal

C

Chadmwallis

Apr 15, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 500
Mine does the same. I’m sure it’s the rear brake. If I spray water on it then it stops....but returns. I took apart and cleaned yet it is persistent. I just been dealing with it until I need new rear pads.

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500

Last week while out riding I picked up a piece of gravel that was rubbing on the right front.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had this on the 700. It was nothing in the pad...and it did go away, but took a few thousand miles. I really think the seal or something at the wheel bearing was the cause, since water would stop it. Eventually went away, and never knew for sure what it was.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Can you put it on a lift and run it to isolate the location?. I have a HF motorcycle lift that works for that. BTW, an update on brass brake pads, they squeal a bit.

Reactions: jonedmonds

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!