P500 Can't figure out where squealing noise is coming from

M

Molo

Mar 18, 2019
Macclenny, FL
Ownership

1. 500
I feel your pain. Mine has been doing it since just a few weeks after buying it brand new. Very annoying... If anyone has real solutions on this I'd sure like to hear them. Has anyone tried a different type of break pad? Maybe a non OEM one?

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My 17 has done it twice and rear brakes are still good ..
my solution might be a good pressure wash underneath near the back brakes pads..
good place for a tiny rocks to get stuck till it wears down and stops squealing..
Unless it's squeals all the time..
Also might be faulty bearing....

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi
jonedmonds

jonedmonds

Sep 12, 2015
Ownership

1. 500
So I recently replaced my front brake pads. I have a squealing noise, so that was the first thing I checked. The brakes were worn out, but not metal to metal. Put the new pads on, rode a bit, and the noise returned. So I checked the back brakes. The arrows weren't even close to lining up, but I disassembled them anyway. There was some mud build up in the caliper, but the pads are practically still new. Cleaned up things and re-assembled. Noise is still there. I tried pulling the parking brake slightly while I heard the noise - the parking brake did not make the noise go away when I pulled the lever. So now i'm pretty sure the noise is not brake related, even though it sounds like brake squealing.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's pretty annoying - high pitched squeal that is persistent. It is most noticeable when moving at low speeds, or like when I'm slowing down to pull off the road. I haven't noticed excessive mud and grass around the axles or anything else like that. What else should I check???
I have a 2015 and the factory metal rear pads drove me nuts, I replaced them with composit pads, they don't last as long but I don't like constant squeal.

H

HondaTech

I had the same issue...what was strange was after going through water it stopped for a while then came back...I never did find out what it was but it went away after about 50 miles of riding. I've had several strange noises on this machine I have to say...Now I have a bad squeak while turning the wheel while stopped,,,driving me crazy-LOL

Take off your steering wheel and lube the rubber seal. It'll most likely go away.

H

HondaTech

The squealing could be coming a driveshaft boot or differential seal.

Honda had a service article about this on the 700, due to dry seal lips.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!