P500 Capability Question

Y

YLR

Jul 28, 2015
I've been checking out the P500 and like a lot of what I see and hear. However, no one has talked about whether it can handle the Southern Utah steep climbs of Moab or the deep sand trails out of kanab. I'm not looking for a speedy unit, but one I can depend on to get me in and out of the scenic places I like to go. Anyone have some experience of this kind? I would feel more confident if the P500 had lockers.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I've been checking out the P500 and like a lot of what I see and hear. However, no one has talked about whether it can handle the Southern Utah steep climbs of Moab or the deep sand trails out of kanab. I'm not looking for a speedy unit, but one I can depend on to get me in and out of the scenic places I like to go. Anyone have some experience of this kind? I would feel more confident if the P500 had lockers.
I am sure Jak will chime in.He torture tests every week.

Reactions: jak9922 and p500fan
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Never been to Moab, but I've climbed some fairly rough terrain here in AK. If you can get there on an ATV, you should be able to get there with a P500. I have no problems keeping up with teenagers on Ranchers, Foremen, & sport bikes on the trails around here. Our elevation ranges from sea level to about 5000 feet here on the island, and I've had no problems at either. I would recommend larger tires for added ground clearance & traction, and a winch for really hairy situations. Ha!

Reactions: JACKAL
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
And here i am lol the p5 is an incredible machine it is more then capable at climbing the steepest hills the only prob is that it doesnt have the crazy high rpm tire ripping speed to " bounce" up some of those rock climbing ledges ive been up some nasty nasty hills and yes lockers would have helped but havent stopped me and btw this was with stock tires i can only imagine how my"bull dog" will do with the rip saws

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
And here i am lol the p5 is an incredible machine it is more then capable at climbing the steepest hills the only prob is that it doesnt have the crazy high rpm tire ripping speed to " bounce" up some of those rock climbing ledges ive been up some nasty nasty hills and yes lockers would have helped but havent stopped me and btw this was with stock tires i can only imagine how my"bull dog" will do with the rip saws
Jak I am glad you are around. You have a lot of practical experience and hands on knowledge. And a genuine good guy.Thanks for your input.

Y

YLR

Jul 28, 2015
Jak I am glad you are around. You have a lot of practical experience and hands on knowledge. And a genuine good guy.Thanks for your input.
Thanks for the input. This gives me a lot more confidence the p500. It appears to have a lot of capability for a smaller machine and at a very economical price compared to other sXs's.

Reactions: JACKAL and p500fan
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Glad to help! Hope you find exactly what you're looking for. Welcome to the club, and don't hesitate to ask any questions. Someone should have an answer.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I refer to my P500 as the "Honey Badger", because it doesn't give a s#%t. Ha!

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I'm glad someone got that reference. My sense of humor is "eclectic", at best, and many people aren't cerebral-minded. I have a lot of people staring at me when I talk. One of the many burdens I bear. However, if you are aware of whom you are talking to, You can insult them without their knowing. Ha!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm glad someone got that reference. My sense of humor is "eclectic", at best, and many people aren't cerebral-minded. I have a lot of people staring at me when I talk. One of the many burdens I bear. However, if you are aware of whom you are talking to, You can insult them without their knowing. Ha!

Maybe the stares are because of the 20 native languages in Alaska none are English, LMAO:
Anlmap

Reactions: p500fan
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Maybe the stares are because of the 20 native languages in Alaska none are English, LMAO:

lol they understand us just fine!

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
To tell the truth, it's actually better up here in AK than it was in AR. I blame MTV and high fructose corn syrup.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
To tell the truth, it's actually better up here in AK than it was in AR. I blame MTV and high fructose corn syrup.

Wel that explains alot. You didn't indicate you spoke Southern instead of regular English. The Inuit must have real been confused. The looks they gave were conveying to each other , "If he reaches for anything resembling a probe. He is an alien jump him." Never drink Mt Dew then expect a northerner to understand you. LMAO.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I look at it as a badge of honor. I like the slightly obscure, inner workings of things. When I purchase a truck, the last thing I look at is color. I'm not "flashy", nor do I like fads or trends. I am still amazed that NO ONE on my island had ever even heard of, or read about, the P500s before I had one shipped to me. There are extremely well-off, old money, commercial fishermen on this island who have new Can-Am Mavericks, Commanders, and Outlanders up here. Every 13 year-old kid has a Rancher or a Foreman. We only have 8 miles of pavement, and there are people driving Range Rovers, Hummers, and BMWs. However, my little rig has impressed everyone who has seen it. They had no idea something like it was offered. This might be Honda's biggest problem. Advertising the numerous advantages in a nationwide campaign might drive sales through the roof. Unfortunately, the MTV crowd would probably still be hung up on decals, bright colors, and "dune-sliding rooster tails".

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Advertising the numerous advantages in a nationwide campaign might drive sales through the roof. Unfortunately, the MTV crowd would probably still be hung up on decals, bright colors, and "dune-sliding rooster tails".

I think you answered your own question.
I'm NOT a Honda exec or bean counter, nor do I have one on speed dial, but spending all that money on advertising to 99% of the MTV generation would be a waste. I don't see Honda paying a celebrity to hock their powersports machines. I think they would rather spend those millions on R&D, honestly so would I, makes for a better product.

Reactions: p500fan and JACKAL
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Hate to hop in on this one late...after having the RZR 800 now the 500 I will say there were two instances in KY where I felt the 500 lacked. Going up a steep hill, and at the top there was a flat, muddy rock/ Not having that "tire spinning speed" I needed to get past that rock was a problem. Had to be winched by a RZR no less. Two other 800 RZR's made it, partly due to being able to get that speed at the top. Just an honest answer for you....around here in PA I haven't had any issues however. The other issue was just a deep mud hole I hit in the wrong spot...and once again I thing the wheel spinning speed may have helped.....but I will NOT go back to the dark side!!!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
You guys mentioned no lockers before, and I know the front is open but the rear end is locked correct? I thought all honda rear ends were locked

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think you answered your own question.
I'm NOT a Honda exec or bean counter, nor do I have one on speed dial, but spending all that money on advertising to 99% of the MTV generation would be a waste. I don't see Honda paying a celebrity to hock their powersports machines. I think they would rather spend those millions on R&D, honestly so would I, makes for a better product.

So it really boils down to two types of people (regardless of advertising), those smart enough to own a Honda for what it is, and then there is everyone else. :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!