P500 Cargo basket and skid plates

Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, sold my 2005 Kawasaki Brute force 650 to brother in law and purchased a 2015 P500-red in color. Dealer had them new for $7,800 so I got one with the additional 3 year warranty.

After looking at options for the rear cargo rack I decided to purchase a yellow 1,000# wagon from Academy and mount the wagon bed side to side on the rear rack (minus wagon suspension like wheels and axles) with some pipe insulation over the rack tubes to protect from friction.

Academy Sports + Outdoors™ Max-1000 Dock/Utility Cart | Academy

I also decided to upgrade the skid plate to aluminum and install boot protectors on all 4 corners. I received today and installed 3/16" thick.
2015-2016 HONDA PIONEER 500 REAR A ARM GUARD BOOT PROTECTORS USA MADE

2015 HONDA PIONEER 500 FRONT A ARM GUARD BOOT PROTECTORS USA MADE

2015-2016 HONDA PIONEER 500 3/16 ALUMINUM 3 PIECE SKID PLATE W/ OIL DRAIN DOOR

Since I read several reviews regarding the hitch tearing off of the cross member I will probably order this 2" hitch receiver.

Moose 2" Rear Receiver Hitch for Honda Pioneer 2015-16 500 4504-0113

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello, sold my 2005 Kawasaki Brute force 650 to brother in law and purchased a 2015 P500-red in color. Dealer had them new for $7,800 so I got one with the additional 3 year warranty.

After looking at options for the rear cargo rack I decided to purchase a yellow 1,000# wagon from Academy and mount the wagon bed side to side on the rear rack (minus wagon suspension like wheels and axles) with some pipe insulation over the rack tubes to protect from friction.

Academy Sports + Outdoors™ Max-1000 Dock/Utility Cart | Academy

I also decided to upgrade the skid plate to aluminum and install boot protectors on all 4 corners. I received today and installed 3/16" thick.
2015-2016 HONDA PIONEER 500 REAR A ARM GUARD BOOT PROTECTORS USA MADE

2015 HONDA PIONEER 500 FRONT A ARM GUARD BOOT PROTECTORS USA MADE

2015-2016 HONDA PIONEER 500 3/16 ALUMINUM 3 PIECE SKID PLATE W/ OIL DRAIN DOOR

Since I read several reviews regarding the hitch tearing off of the cross member I will probably order this 2" hitch receiver.

Moose 2" Rear Receiver Hitch for Honda Pioneer 2015-16 500 4504-0113
Welcome to the club, looks like you are well on your way to building it to be your own, that's what is so nice about these machines.

Reactions: JTW
Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I would rather avoid that fate. I do have a Lincoln 110 flux core wire welder and I can repair should it break however I prefer the factory look.

I also ordered some Fluid Film to spray inside of the lower frame where is looks to be a bit of rust.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

JTW

I would rather avoid that fate. I do have a Lincoln 110 flux core wire welder and I can repair should it break however I prefer the factory look.

I also ordered some Fluid Film to spray inside of the lower frame where is looks to be a bit of rust.
I got a Hobart 210 for Christmas.. I'm going to attempt to fab a rear bumper setup.

Fluid film???

J

JTW

Have you seen the movie Zombie Beavers?

Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Yes I watched zombeavers. I liked the hotties.

Today I removed the factory plastic skid plates-first bolt I attempted to remove twisted off while trying to remove it, of course. The rest came out without issue. There is a right and a left side (or specific top/bottom) to the skid plates. :) The replacement plates fit perfectly and then my 3 year old assistant and I went for a ride through the ditches out front. Later I will drill out the bolt shaft that twisted off. Then I sprayed inside the frame holes and under the rear and front compartments with the Fluid Film.

J

JTW

Yes I watched zombeavers. I liked the hotties.

Today I removed the factory plastic skid plates-first bolt I attempted to remove twisted off while trying to remove it, of course. The rest came out without issue. There is a right and a left side (or specific top/bottom) to the skid plates. :) The replacement plates fit perfectly and then my 3 year old assistant and I went for a ride through the ditches out front. Later I will drill out the bolt shaft that twisted off. Then I sprayed inside the frame holes and under the rear and front compartments with the Fluid Film.
Lol.. Yup!

What is fluid film?

Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Lanolin (sheep sweat) based spray on protective coating to prevent oxidation.

Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
They arrest the sheep and with a lot of bright light and some sleep deprivation the lanolin is sweated out of the sheep.

Reactions: ehart814 and JTW
Z

Zombeaver

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
No. I live in 1.5 acres. Guy we lease from doesn't maintain trails/roads. Have a few small gullies in trail that I will try to address. I considered a small Kubota tractor purchase instead of utv.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

No. I live in 1.5 acres. Guy we lease from doesn't maintain trails/roads. Have a few small gullies in trail that I will try to address. I considered a small Kubota tractor purchase instead of utv.
You can find 60s-70s model gas tractors around 35hp for 2-5k.. I've got a Massey 135 and it's a fine little tractor. I think you'd be far better off going that route.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!