P1000 Carrying heavy weight in hitch hauler

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone used a hitch hauler to carry a heavy load, like elk or deer? My thought was to use heavy ratchet straps from the hitch hauler to the roll bar above your head to help support the load. Would this work, or would it bend the roll cage toward the rear?
I have hauled elk in the bed, but loading on a hitch hauler would be much easier.
thx for the advice

Reactions: TxDoc
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
With proper additional support from the straps, I think it would be fine. It's the hard and bouncing leverage that really gives them a workout. If you support it you would eliminate a good bit of the bouncing leverage.

But, what year do you have?
Honda improved the hitch area with extra support somewhere around 2018.

Reactions: Hawk53 and Mudwing
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'd probably weld some extra braces.

Ea9ee81d78f8be318e6f4b6899a39fc0

Vs 2020
D1af2f77af62a39e725d3d3a6d0b2b76

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing
Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone used a hitch hauler to carry a heavy load, like elk or deer? My thought was to use heavy ratchet straps from the hitch hauler to the roll bar above your head to help support the load. Would this work, or would it bend the roll cage toward the rear?
I have hauled elk in the bed, but loading on a hitch hauler would be much easier.
thx for the advice
Here's a thought to ease loading game. Put a winch under your ROPS in the back middle. Attach a strap to front of the bed, put a snatch block on it, tilt the bed then load your game with the winch and put the bed back down.
thx for the advice
Here's a thought to ease loading game. Put a winch under your ROPS in the back middle. Attach a strap to front of the bed, put a snatch block on it, tilt the bed then load your game with the winch and put the bed back down.

See my post on this page for ideas: P1000 - Electric dump box

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wouldn’t put that kinda weight on a carrier. To over load a trailer tongue weight isn’t really problem because the trailer axle keeps weight balanced but weight directly on carrier is just prying your receiver down. Straps would help but it’s still bouncy.
years back I made a rear seat that locks into receiver then bolts to rear roll bar sections with a clamp, that held massive weight and extended the bad but it had three bolt up points.

Reactions: Mudwing
Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
What I was thinking. These are made for lifting deer, rated for 400 pounds? only a little over $100 on Amazon. Takes apart to pack up, but it does weigh about 30+ pounds. I used it to pull this mailbox post, first try out.
2337BC4A 13D5 49F2 92AA 651FCB77504B

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not needing the loading capability. I was more looking to see if I could carry the load in the hitch hauler vs. the bed.

Reactions: Hawk53
Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have a hitch hauler, hitch mounted cargo rack, but with 100 pounds or more it really sags down on the back end. My 500 is much lower weight capacity vs the 1000-5. It just seemed that weight sitting 2 or 3 feet out past the hitch made me concerned it would drag on any uneven ground. A 100 pound load would be similar to the tongue weight of a 1000 pound trailer load as to how much the rear suspension would squat down. Some people on hondasxs.com have done creative custom mods to raise up a hitch hauler to be effectively a bed extension.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m not needing the loading capability. I was more looking to see if I could carry the load in the hitch hauler vs. the bed.
Sorry Jakey . I assumed you where looking at using the hitch hauler because of the weight you are trying to get into the bed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!