P1000m5 ROPS weight limit?

B

bscherer

Jan 9, 2022
MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello from MN-
I have a 22 1000-5 with a Tusk Roof. I am working through a roof basket design to add above the roof. Does anyone know if there is a weight limit for the Honda ROPS?
I do light trail riding am am not doing anything off-camber. This rack will mostly be for saws, coolers, and camping gear as the kids take up the cargo space with the seats up.
Of course I will be posting photos when done!

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club.
You are not going to find an answer to this as I'm sure Honda does not recommend placing items in such a manner.

Anyways, you are way overthinking it.
If it can hold the weight of the SxS upside down it can surely hold your gear.

As for me and where we ride, A roof rack is not recommended at all.
Our roof is sometimes more of a skid plate than the skid plate.
But out west, I could see its usefulness for long adventures.

Post pics of what you design.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hello from MN-
I have a 22 1000-5 with a Tusk Roof. I am working through a roof basket design to add above the roof. Does anyone know if there is a weight limit for the Honda ROPS?
I do light trail riding am am not doing anything off-camber. This rack will mostly be for saws, coolers, and camping gear as the kids take up the cargo space with the seats up.
Welcome from Mi
Yup all thats stated in post #2
And post pics!

But before that, we need pics of the rig itself! #POIDH

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be thoughtful of weight up top as well because you can become tippy due to overhead weight. I would also recommend checking out a bed extender and maybe interior door storage mod (if the 22 has that?) to keep weight low.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Be thoughtful of weight up top as well because you can become tippy due to overhead weight. I would also recommend checking out a bed extender and maybe interior door storage mod (if the 22 has that?) to keep weight low.
Pack-outs in the bed as well.
AB1B283E C3E7 4BAA 84FD 5968843C0A09

advertisement
ClayWelder

ClayWelder

Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2021
Atlanta, GA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello from MN-
Just to add, what one of the others already said is very true. Keep the overhead weight down to minimum. A few light things, ok. I would strongly recommend that you do not put more than 100 pounds up top, as even that amount can make your balance point rise significantly. I built a roof for my 3 seater out of plywood, and even that relatively small amount of weight significantly impacted my ability to traverse any kind of side slope, it only weighed about 120 pounds ( 5/8 plywood and slightly oversized for rain and sun shade) to the point that I later just went with the plastic factory Honda roof. On flat ground these SXS's seem very stable, but as the poster stated, their roofs often act more as skid plates than their skid plates. Meaning they are upside down, lols. Driving along any place there is a side slope means that any weight that is above your lower side tire, and especially if it is "outside" of it, is effectively trying to flip you. Which is why you never ever turn (completely) across the face of a hill, you are asking to roll over. Going up or down a hill with a side slope just makes matters worse. Suspension differences, size of tires, side wall height, air pressure, shocks, lifts, and wheel spacers all can help or hurt your buggy's susceptibility to roll over. My advice would be to only put a bare minimum of weight up top, and try to keep it flat and centered. IF you are always on relatively flat trails, and you need to haul more gear and multiple trips are not feasible, then look into a small to medium sized garden style trailer for a small lawn tractor, or something similar. Maybe someone can build you one, or if you have the skills and equipment, build your own off road trailer. If you are travelling "flat" ground, a pintle style hitch would not be necessary, a standard 1-7/8" or 2" ball or a clevis type hitch would be fine. My vote goes for a small trailer to keep the weight low, as opposed to putting things up top, especially a cooler. Those can get very heavy with food, drinks, ice, etc. Anyways, just thought I would add a comment, maybe you have already solved your issue, or maybe this idea may help you. Happy trail riding!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!