P1000 Center of weight distribution?

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Anyone know where the center point, the exact center point of balance is on a P1000-3 deluxe (with winch)? Okay, I will happily settle for the approximate center point of any P1000. While I am am asking, how about the center balance point of the P500? I mean I know where the engine is but what are your best guest as to where, if you had to pick the fulcrum (?) point, what would you select. I am currently selecting the seat back as my point.

What is my reason for this question? Well, it is to load my Hondas in my trailers to keep the weight over the trailer axles, tongue weight etc.

s/f Steve

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I had to pick a CG point with reference to something on the machine, I'd say 1-3" above the sub-transmission dip stick without payload, accessories or passengers and a full tank of fuel. I'd call it an educated guess but I haven't ever seen it defined.

G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Yep, a tough question. My machine has a Satv windshield a factory roof along with the 4500 Lbs winch. What is everybody's best guess?

s/f Steve

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would say the seat back is pretty close. On my 1000-5 (with similar accessories) it is about 1’ behind the rear of the driver’s seat.

But, I do have an f-250 and err on the side of too much, rather than too little tounge weight.

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone know where the center point, the exact center point of balance is on a P1000-3 deluxe (with winch)? Okay, I will happily settle for the approximate center point of any P1000. While I am am asking, how about the center balance point of the P500? I mean I know where the engine is but what are your best guest as to where, if you had to pick the fulcrum (?) point, what would you select. I am currently selecting the seat back as my point.

What is my reason for this question? Well, it is to load my Hondas in my trailers to keep the weight over the trailer axles, tongue weight etc.

s/f Steve
Steve... One of the best pieces of advice I was taught was basically "don't guess, measure."

I position my Honda 1000-5 by eye and then measure the tongue weight. Sometimes just a few inches of movement can make a big difference in the tongue weight. Having too little or too much tongue weight can affect how the rig tows. Positioning heavy ramps, water jugs and adding a propane tank can also affect the tongue weight. If you have the right amount of tongue weight and the back of your rig is sagging that is useful information, suggesting a change in your towing rig setup.

I originally used a bathroom scale to measure the tongue weight. Now I use a rather spendy Sherline LM 2000 Trailer Tongue Weight Scale. I chock the trailer and then use a floor jack to raise the Shoreline scale with the screw in bar and position the bar inside the trailer coupler to measure the tongue weight. Once I find the magic spot, I mark the position of the front wheel spindle on the trailer with red duct tape. From then on I just use the red duct tape to position my Honda, not the scale.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Steve... One of the best pieces of advice I was taught was basically "don't guess, measure."

I position my Honda 1000-5 by eye and then measure the tongue weight. Sometimes just a few inches of movement can make a big difference in the tongue weight. Having too little or too much tongue weight can affect how the rig tows. Positioning heavy ramps, water jugs and adding a propane tank can also affect the tongue weight. If you have the right amount of tongue weight and the back of your rig is sagging that is useful information, suggesting a change in your towing rig setup.

I originally used a bathroom scale to measure the tongue weight. Now I use a rather spendy Sherline LM 2000 Trailer Tongue Weight Scale. I chock the trailer and then use a floor jack to raise the Shoreline scale with the screw in bar and position the bar inside the trailer coupler to measure the tongue weight. Once I find the magic spot, I mark the position of the front wheel spindle on the trailer with red duct tape. From then on I just use the red duct tape to position my Honda, not the scale.
I do something similar but use a 300# capacity bathroom scale and a “T” shaped piece of 2x2 to stick up in the coupler. I’m probably a little heavy on tongue weight at 270lbs, but it tows great.
BCB56C84 ED6B 4FF8 B5F4 769F7002D549

Reactions: Lady01
J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do something similar but use a 300# capacity bathroom scale and a “T” shaped piece of 2x2 to stick up in the coupler. I’m probably a little heavy on tongue weight at 270lbs, but it tows great.View attachment 298210
PJon... Nice trailer. I wanted an Aluma and had to settle on a 14 foot enclosed dual axle trailer due to supply constraints. The good news is that the 14 foot trailer doubles as a garage.

Jeff

Reactions: Lady01
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I tow my Hondas in either my Toy Hauler or my 2 axle Cargo trailer. With the Toy Hauler there is really no option except for perhaps front in first or back in. Front in first has worked so far just fine. The cargo is an 8.5 x 16 x 7 which makes it 20' long, bumper to coupler. The gross is 7,000 lbs and load allowed is 4200 lbs. I have plenty of room at either end for adjustments. My fellow Honda guys have just guesstimated often enough to have it dialed it. I can back the P1000-3 into this trailer with the snow plow attached keeping me from having to put a vehicle outside before a storm. I've gotten kind of comfortable using it as a garage.

I tow with a F-250 diesel which also has airbags. I use an equalizer with the TH and I am currently considering using an older system I have laying around that uses chain hangers. That is if they will fit. Anybody use a equalizer style sway hitch on something relatively light weight?

I'd be interested in one of those tongue weight measures. Jal, can you move to Colorado <G>

s/f Steve

Reactions: Lady01 and JAL
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
PJon... Nice trailer. I wanted an Aluma and had to settle on a 14 foot enclosed dual axle trailer due to supply constraints. The good news is that the 14 foot trailer doubles as a garage.

Jeff
Jeff, put the top back of your front seat directly in the center of your tandem axles and you should be good to go.

Terry

Reactions: Lady01 and JAL
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I do something similar but use a 300# capacity bathroom scale and a “T” shaped piece of 2x2 to stick up in the coupler. I’m probably a little heavy on tongue weight at 270lbs, but it tows great.View attachment 298210
I would move it back about 8 inches, you are tongue heavy and try it. I like everything level or close. Now if you start loading Ice chests on the rear of the trailer that suggestion goes out the window.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would move it back about 8 inches, you are tongue heavy and try it. I like everything level or close. Now if you start loading Ice chests on the rear of the trailer that suggestion goes out the window.
If I move it back 8” it doesn’t have enough tongue weight. Where it’s loaded now, I can fold the bi-fold ramp down flat to cut a little more wind resistance. I’m towing it with a 2008 Escalade long wheelbase so I don’t have to load anything extra on the trailer. Also, the trailer is level when I’m on level ground. The photo is in my driveway which is sloped.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!