Chains for better traction?

marchinkeja

marchinkeja

Feb 15, 2015
Carpendale,Wv
Last winter before i had a winch mounted i got stuck in deep snow, which had a layer of ice under it. Has anyone used chains on the P5 yet? Has it made any difference?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
We had the same thing last winter, about 8 inches of snow with ice under it,I didn't have chains on my sxs but I did on my Kawasaki prairie 360 two wheel drive ,went out with friends to cut trails ,figured I would follow behind in the new cut trails, after about a half hour of the 4 wheel drives not being able to make it up step hills around trees without spinning out I ended up leading, I don't know if I will put chains on the pioneer, if I would get stuck with the 360 its smaller and lighter to get out by hand when your by yourself , it seems there is never a tree around to winch off of when I get stuck!! The deep drifts are always out in the middle of a corn field.But I don't want to think about the snow and Minus 0 temps yet,I have a lot nice weather riding to get in first,I do think you would be amazed at the difference it would make, if you even just put them on the back.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Check out Diamond V bar studded chains - I am kicking around ordering a set for this winter!

Reactions: Hawk53
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will definately be getting a set of chains for my rig. I know what they do for the pick up and it will be the same for the sxs.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Check out Diamond V bar studded chains - I am kicking around ordering a set for this winter!

I bought a set of the Peerless ones off ebay for my trip to Montana next month. Ice is the real concern.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kimplex V bar chains. On sale now 80$ shipped from ebay.com for rear and front. I bought last year for the rear only and this year got for the front also.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I only got for my rear. How did they work out for you?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only got for my rear. How did they work out for you?

Oh , you will be fine, just make sure do not corner or brake hard if going down hill, since there is a tremendous traction difference and u can make front slide . But to push you forward or get you out of snow, they would work like a charm

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
I'm from Wisconsin where I plan on ice fishing ..
Definitely needed for the ice (hauling gear)properly rear only
They do eat wood lined trailers bottoms

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Kimplex V bar chains. On sale now 80$ shipped from ebay.com for rear and front. I bought last year for the rear only and this year got for the front also.

View attachment 24078

Forgot to ask, looks like you do not need a tensioner like on typical truck chains? I've not installed mine yet, any tip to make it easier?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not buy tensioners last year since I used chains only once, but I would get them this winter. I deflated tires completely , placed chains and inflated to 10-12 psi. U might need chain cutter to trim extra links. I would recommend to install them now and trim and practice. At the ranch we have small shop , so it was not painful first time install.

Tip: It's very helpful to have electric portable compressor, which I always carry in my p500

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I did not buy tensioners last year since I used chains only once, but I would get them this winter. I deflated tires completely , placed chains and inflated to 10-12 psi. U might need chain cutter to trim extra links. I would recommend to install them now and trim and practice. At the ranch we have small shop , so it was not painful first time install.

Tip: It's very helpful to have electric portable compressor, which I always carry in my p500

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hey Solrus, no rubbing in the front? I was curious about that. I have 26x9x12 on all 4 and there's not a lot of wiggle room in the front...I have chains for the back on the way but was a bit hesitant for the front...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last winter before i had a winch mounted i got stuck in deep snow, which had a layer of ice under it. Has anyone used chains on the P5 yet? Has it made any difference?
It depends on how deep the snow is. Last winter I tried riding the P5 in about 14 inches of snow. I'd get about a hundred feet and the snow would pack up between the ground and the skids lifting me until the wheels had no weight left on them. I don't know if chains would help or not but I'm getting some and will find out this winter.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
HatcherFarms

HatcherFarms

Nov 25, 2016
WI
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the club Hatcher, Those look very cool and like they'd be quite effective. Can you actually dig fence post holes with that hand held auger?
Can't dig fence post. But does a good job on 40+ in of ice! I fishup north allot in the winter. Having an electric ice auger in the fish house is nice. Doesn't stink the place up like a 2 stroke

Reactions: Hawk53
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!