P500 Charging/Jumping Battery under the hood

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

Just a reminder - If you have heavy duty battery connections under the hood, you can connect a charger or jump starter under there. Instead of trying to get to your battery box when it's packed in snow... like mine is now. :)
IMAG01034

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Just a reminder - If you have heavy duty battery connections under the hood, you can connect a charger or jump starter under there. Instead of trying to get to your battery box when it's packed in snow... like mine is now. :)
View attachment 28266
I'll have to check
Was this a option or do they all have it?
Thanks

D

Deleted member 3748

You'll only have it if you installed a winch or intentionally ran battery cables under the hood. I think most of us use winches though.

D

Deleted member 3748

When I installed my winch wiring I also put in a wire harness with a plug for my charger. It hangs down just under the battery box. Also carry a mating plug with wires for easy jumping.
Yeah... I wasn't that smart.

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah... I wasn't that smart.
I too have the battery Tender hooked up ...
But like you said if it was covered with snow or couldn't get to the battery from the side the under the hood is a neat option,
Maybe Santa will bring me a winch for Xmas

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well lets not put a silk hat on a pig. I put a volt gauge in mine yesterday and still dont know what it is telling me, so there is that. Looks cool though.
Oops. :)

Reactions: Duckiller
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Well lets not put a silk hat on a pig. I put a volt gauge in mine yesterday and still dont know what it is telling me, so there is that. Looks cool though.

Use a digital meter. Batteries range from dead (about 11.7vdc) to fully charged around 12.6vdc. That's a pretty narrow range and is why a digital volt meter is easier to use. When running, the charging voltage should be between 13.5vdc and 15vdc. Note that the best time to check a battery is at least 8 hours after it was last charged to allow the charge to stabilize. Otherwise you'll get a false high reading. You'll see some variation in this between batteries and vehicles. I had an old Toyota for years that charged at 13.2vdc. That low charge rate helped the batteries last extra years. As lead acid batteries age their fully charged voltage goes lower. Assuming a normal failure mode when you start seeing a charged voltage around 12.3vdc it's time to shop for a new battery.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Use a digital meter. Batteries range from dead (about 11.7vdc) to fully charged around 12.6vdc. That's a pretty narrow range and is why a digital volt meter is easier to use. When running, the charging voltage should be between 13.5vdc and 15vdc. Note that the best time to check a battery is at least 8 hours after it was last charged to allow the charge to stabilize. Otherwise you'll get a false high reading. You'll see some variation in this between batteries and vehicles. I had an old Toyota for years that charged at 13.2vdc. That low charge rate helped the batteries last extra years. As lead acid batteries age their fully charged voltage goes lower. Assuming a normal failure mode when you start seeing a charged voltage around 12.3vdc it's time to shop for a new battery.
Gauge is digital. Spent 30+ minutes looking for that EXACT answer but never found it yesterday. Thank you! Tells me that when I see it around 12v I need to start the machine and turn off the stereo! Love this place.

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
H

hoggr9

Sep 10, 2014
Xenia, IL
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah I put a socket in my dash to plug in my battery tender...fits the plug
I think optima makes it....I too had my tender pigtail hanging out a my battery box...after an emergency launch after dog chasing deer without remembering to unplug tender...I find that the cord inside the cab is a lot easier to remember.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think optima makes it....I too had my tender pigtail hanging out a my battery box...after an emergency launch after dog chasing deer without remembering to unplug tender...I find that the cord inside the cab is a lot easier to remember.

Gotta pic of that socket? I think most of us here are running tenders and that sounds easiest to me.

Reactions: rocmar and JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hey, hey! This thread is about charging under the hood... the old fashioned way. The way it was always meant to be. We don't need any of this fancy crap! :D
Ok big boy, don't start karate chopping anything. :D:D

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I do a walk around...I got mine
hard wired to battery....then in
black box....

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!