drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm off this morning to start clearing some trails on my property. I may try and get some video of my escapades. There are several coal mines, (8-12) reminiscent of a time when Dayton Coal and Iron Company during the 1800-1900 extracted coal to make coke for the iron industry located here. Dayton, (Smiths Crossroads), has a lot of history in the industry. There were 64 deaths from mine explosions in the Dayton mines from 1895-1902 with many bodies unretrievable because of the damage. I swear sitting in my tree stand before light, I've heard sounds that I can't identify. Sounds that send a shiver up your spine. Even sitting next to the fire at night, in the backyard, where mines honeycomb deep in the ridge under our feet, I've heard unidentifiable sounds coming from down the ridge. Those mines today I'm sure have had bears, rattlers and copperheads as residents. I never travel the "mine road" or the "tram road" without some sort of protection because of the animals, (and of course rogue Taliban). Today, as I said is going to be the tram road where miners filled small trolley cars with coal and pushed them to the extraction point near highway 30 and the "trail of tears". Yes, I even have a portion of the real "trail of tears" on my property. Who knows, those sounds I hear might be from The Cherokee's voices from years ago.........

Hopefully video to follow:

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm off this morning to start clearing some trails on my property. I may try and get some video of my escapades. There are several coal mines, (5-6) reminiscent of a time when Dayton Coal and Iron Company during the 1800-1900 extracted coal to make coke for the iron industry located here. Dayton, (Smiths Crossroads), has a lot of history in the industry. There were 64 deaths from mine explosions in the Dayton mines from 1895-1902 with many bodies unretrievable because of the damage. I swear sitting in my tree stand before light, I've heard sounds that I can't identify. Sounds that send a shiver up your spine. Even sitting next to the fire at night, in the backyard, where mines honeycomb deep in the ridge under our feet, I've heard unidentifiable sounds coming from down the ridge. Those mines today I'm sure have had bears, rattlers and copperheads as residents. I never travel the "mine road" or the "tram road" without some sort of protection because of the animals, (and of course rogue Taliban). Today, as I said is going to be the tram road where miners filled small trolley cars with coal and pushed them to the extraction point near highway 30 and the "trail of tears". Yes, I even have a portion of the real "trail of tears" on my property. Who knows, those sounds I hear might be from The Cherokee's voices from years ago.........

That's awesome! I love learning about history, keep us posted on what you learn about your property. You should try metal detecting there just for fun.

Reactions: GlockMeister
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find this pretty interesting as well.. I also have about an 1/8th mile of the TOT original route running through the back half of my property. The forest service came through a few year ago marking it.. I thought it was just another old logging road. Amazing to me that as far apart as we are(7 hours or so) that this spans the distance.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm off this morning to start clearing some trails on my property. I may try and get some video of my escapades. There are several coal mines, (5-6) reminiscent of a time when Dayton Coal and Iron Company during the 1800-1900 extracted coal to make coke for the iron industry located here. Dayton, (Smiths Crossroads), has a lot of history in the industry. There were 64 deaths from mine explosions in the Dayton mines from 1895-1902 with many bodies unretrievable because of the damage. I swear sitting in my tree stand before light, I've heard sounds that I can't identify. Sounds that send a shiver up your spine. Even sitting next to the fire at night, in the backyard, where mines honeycomb deep in the ridge under our feet, I've heard unidentifiable sounds coming from down the ridge. Those mines today I'm sure have had bears, rattlers and copperheads as residents. I never travel the "mine road" or the "tram road" without some sort of protection because of the animals, (and of course rogue Taliban). Today, as I said is going to be the tram road where miners filled small trolley cars with coal and pushed them to the extraction point near highway 30 and the "trail of tears". Yes, I even have a portion of the real "trail of tears" on my property. Who knows, those sounds I hear might be from The Cherokee's voices from years ago.........

That is totally cool to have that rich history on your own property. I don't believe in ghosts of the past, so I doubt if I'd hear the sounds that you do, but I sure would love the ride you have!!!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is totally cool to have that rich history on your own property. I don't believe in ghosts of the past, so I doubt if I'd hear the sounds that you do, but I sure would love the ride you have!!!
Ah, I don't necessarily believe either but noises can't be explained.

Reactions: JTW
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is the video I threw together after I got back to the house.. I don't have the energy I used to have so I'm done for the day... Pickup again in the morning.
They look good. Looks like fun.

Reactions: drfubar
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very cool man. Love hearing about history.

Reactions: sharp
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very cool man. Love hearing about history.
Nothing level, all leans to the cove. I got real close coming back out and thought another 6 inches and I'd be tumbling.. Dummy me had those street tires on and coming back out I almost didn't make the hill. Put the Evo's back on for tomorrows run.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ah, I don't necessarily believe either but noises can't be explained.
Then they can't be explained, lol. But not to be sidetracked from the more important point, if you have historic mines and a piece of the ToT, you have a cool piece of property!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Then they can't be explained, lol. But not to be sidetracked from the more important point, if you have historic mines and a piece of the ToT, you have a cool piece of property!
Absolutely. I'm very fortunate. I can see far enough to the east to see N. Carolina and the Tennessee river.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm now looking for a day off to come visit you instead of going to BullRun.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm now looking for a day off to come visit you instead of going to BullRun.

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!
Come on, don't be afraid. The dead miners only talk at night.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Come on, don't be afraid. The dead miners only talk at night.

The thing I'm scared of the most is you! Sir....

Signature:

Reactions: Eltobgi
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
However, I do love tearing s*** up with chainsaws and tractors.

5bb3fc20016dc3992a572631a94aab3e

This is my house site several years ago.
64e3fd0210dcc09cfb45418083742de4

Of coarse, I could be valuable as I do own a chainsaw or two.......

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You bring the people and I'll bring the saws. We should have that place cleared pretty quick!

Signature:

Reactions: JTW and Tigermark
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-3
However, I do love tearing s*** up with chainsaws and tractors.

View attachment 24003

This is my house site several years ago.
View attachment 24004

Of coarse, I could be valuable as I do own a chainsaw or two.......
The thing I'm scared of the most is you! Sir....

Signature:

All saws running?, You are a sick man. Sorry, I don't have anyone to run saws...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!