ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I ripped a boot a couple weeks ago. Got a new Honda OEM boot kit. Had boot replaced and stuffed with grease. I reinstalled the axle and not there is a funny noise when taking off from a stop. It only happens when changing direction - so if I'm going forward and stop and shift to reverse, it will make the noise when I press the gas. Then stop an shift to H or L and press the accelerator it will do it again. It makes the noise when I take the slack out of the drivetrain. I haven't had a chance to lift and and play around.

Is there something I could have messed up when I reinstalled the axle? Or is it most likely the axle itself making the noise? I know I didn't leave anything loose. Just wanted to ask here before going back into it...

Reactions: TripleB
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I looked into this a little last night. The noise actually seems to be coming from the differential. If i jack up the rear wheels and turn them by hand back and forth I cant get it to make the noise.

If I hold the brake, and then shift to H or L and touch gas, you hear it. Then shift to R (still holding brake), bump gas, clunk.

Any ideas what it could be???

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Its not the rear brake pad tattletale rubbing on the brake rotor is it? The little piece of metal that rubs on the rotor to let you know your brake pads are getting worn. I know you said it sounds like its coming from the rear diff, but the rotor is in close proximity. Hope you figure it out.

Reactions: Backwoods
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tore a boot last summer and I replaced it. When I had it apart I cleaned it and noticed a very slight tight spot where it wouldn't pivot as well. I regressed it and reinstalled it. Initially it was fine but after plowing with it for a bit, I started to get a light click that was most notable when changing directions. In the end, I replaced the whole shaft and the sound is gone.

Reactions: TripleB
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Its not the rear brake pad tattletale rubbing on the brake rotor is it? The little piece of metal that rubs on the rotor to let you know your brake pads are getting worn. I know you said it sounds like its coming from the rear diff, but the rotor is in close proximity. Hope you figure it out.

I kinda thought the same thing, but i did check the brakes and they are fine. I thought I could have messed something up when I put it back together but it's okay. And they are not dragging either.

Reactions: Bastardchild
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I tore a boot last summer and I replaced it. When I had it apart I cleaned it and noticed a very slight tight spot where it wouldn't pivot as well. I regressed it and reinstalled it. Initially it was fine but after plowing with it for a bit, I started to get a light click that was most notable when changing directions. In the end, I replaced the whole shaft and the sound is gone.

The boot I changed was the outside one. The sound seems to be coming from the differential area, or the inboard joint. Is there any chance something could have gotten screwed up when I popped the axle back into the diff? I used a new OEM clip.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The boot I changed was the outside one. The sound seems to be coming from the differential area, or the inboard joint. Is there any chance something could have gotten screwed up when I popped the axle back into the diff? I used a new OEM clip.

Are you sure it's seated tight and not slipping on the splines? I've always had to tap my inners back in to seat them in the diff

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Are you sure it's seated tight and not slipping on the splines? I've always had to tap my inners back in to seat them in the diff

I'm pretty sure I got it back in right. It took a bit of effort, and it did make a pop when it went. It does not look like it's out any further than the other side. I'll check that out again to be sure.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
still dealing with this stupid noise. I guess i'm just going to buy a new axle. Is all balls the only one out there other than superatv and OEM? Not looking to spend too much. My riding style doesn't require anything beefier than OEM.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
still dealing with this stupid noise. I guess i'm just going to buy a new axle. Is all balls the only one out there other than superatv and OEM? Not looking to spend too much. My riding style doesn't require anything beefier than OEM.
OEM is more money than any aftermarket that I've seen.

Reactions: MMW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!