Anyone try this?

Reactions: Russ989
2018GMC

2018GMC

Nov 26, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm getting the clutch update campaign done on my 2017 1000-5 which has 1200 miles on it this weekend.

Should I do this relearn after the clutch update is performed? Or drive normally, then do this after another 500 miles?

H

HondaTech

I find that its usually unneccessary to do the procedure after the update unless the machine is creeping in gear afterwards.

The reintialization seems to eliminate the creeping I've occasionally seen.

Reactions: 2018GMC
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I find that its usually unneccessary to do the procedure after the update unless the machine is creeping in gear afterwards.

The reintialization seems to eliminate the creeping I've occasionally seen.

Is a relearn something that should be done every so often, or only after clutch replacement? I'm not having any issues at 2300 miles, but I'm just curious if it's something that should be done every so many miles as maintenance. I do notice once in a while when the engine is cold, that the rpms will be kinda high before the clutch engages to start moving

R

rickoshea

i just did mine after my latest oil change.was it necessary? 🤷‍♂️ .it's a simple procedure so why not?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it has been 2000 miles and it feels like they are slipping, yes. If it feels like they are slipping, yes. If you have put a tune in the machine, yes. They should do the relearn after the clutch update/replacement.

Engine oil has to be warm. I would suggest driving it for a bit to heat everything up then parking it and letting it do its thing.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If it has been 2000 miles and it feels like they are slipping, yes. If it feels like they are slipping, yes. If you have put a tune in the machine, yes. They should do the relearn after the clutch update/replacement.

Engine oil has to be warm. I would suggest driving it for a bit to heat everything up then parking it and letting it do its thing.
I'm running the dynojet tune. I've never done a relearn. The machine feels fine, but maybe i'll try to do a relearn this weekend if I think about it

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm running the dynojet tune. I've never done a relearn. The machine feels fine, but maybe i'll try to do a relearn this weekend if I think about it

I am not sure if the DJ tune messes with the DCT or not. I have had to mess with the DCT programming because its a Talon ECU in a Pioneer and well lots of changes. It was suggested to me by a member much smarter than me that if I change the DCT, do a relearn and let it settle in. That I might have to do one after it does and I did.

Reactions: ehart814
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I am not sure if the DJ tune messes with the DCT or not. I have had to mess with the DCT programming because its a Talon ECU in a Pioneer and well lots of changes. It was suggested to me by a member much smarter than me that if I change the DCT, do a relearn and let it settle in. That I might have to do one after it does and I did.

The DJ tune raises the shift points. It may have firmed up the shifts a bit... Doesn't seem drastic but there are noticeable differences. It is an improvement.

I'm asking about the relearn because I've been working my Pioneer pretty hard and I don't want to hurt my clutches. I built a "trail groomer" to maintain the trails on our property. Basically welded together a bunch of scrap steel that was laying around and put a 24.5" heavy truck tire and rim on top of it. I pull it through the trails in low range and it helps knock the ruts and brush down.

Reactions: ohanacreek
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's been suggested to do a relearn at each maintenance but I probably won't do it that often, maybe every 2000 or so. My Talon's DCT is working so well at 1500 miles that I don't want to mess with it, low speed engagement is almost perfect for me (although the relearn probably covers more than just that).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!