Clutch update warning

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
I had my clutch update done a few weeks ago. Got my 1000 back and put in garage did not ride till Saturday night. Rode about 30 miles when gearbox started making lots of noise. Stopped and checked all Oil levels including sub transmission and found sub transmission had no oil in it. Dealership mechanic accidently drained sub transmission and did not refill. I am going to call dealer tomorrow and see what they want to do about it. I am making this post to warn others about checking all fluids when they get unit back from dealer.

Last edited:
E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
Forgetting to put oil, the life blood, in an engine is a HUGE mistake for any mechanic to make! And may drop said mechanic's status from good to ok!
I never said good or even ok mechanic.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks Everett,
This has been more common than you think. Dealers draining all 3 plugs when only the rear 2 need to be drained.
The sub is even a different head size making you change sockets while the rear 2 (engine and DCT tank) are the same size.
Not sure your solution, but words need to be had.

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
Thanks Everett,
This has been more common than you think. Dealers draining all 3 plugs when only the rear 2 need to be drained.
The sub is even a different head size making you change sockets while the rear 2 (engine and DCT tank) are the same size.
Not sure your solution, but words need to be had.
Yes I know the plugs are different size. I normally do all my own work. I have been a mechanic for over 30 years. I partially blame myself for not checking their work as I normally do. I just wanted everyone else to know the problem I had so it doesn’t happen to them. I am sure they will make it right as I have a good relationship with the dealership thanks.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck going ahead.

Reactions: Eltobgi
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I had my clutch update done a few weeks ago. Got my 1000 back and put in garage did not ride till Saturday night. Rode about 30 miles when gearbox started making lots of noise. Stopped and checked all Oil levels including sub transmission and found sub transmission had no oil in it. Dealership mechanic accidently drained sub transmission and did not refill. I am going to call dealer tomorrow and see what they want to do about it. I am making this post to warn others about checking all fluids when they get unit back from dealer.

Very familiar story. Had this happen with my first service. Put almost 100 miles on a dry subtrans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Everett

Oct 13, 2015
Very familiar story. Had this happen with my first service. Put almost 100 miles on a dry subtrans.

So how much damage did you have? Did they tear it down and fix or just fill and hope for the best?

advertisement
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
In my case, I filled it and put another 100 miles or so on it that weekend.

They drained the oil and sent a sample out as well as strained it. Saw no major wear items and the oil sample came back OK. A little high on wear items but not too bad.

They flushed it three times, and refilled it. Noted the issue in their w/o system and committed to a repair of it goes out prematurely.

I have put another 600 miles on it and if anything the subtrans is quieter now than it ever was.

My fingers are crossed but I also have 5 yr extended warranty

mike48

mike48

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
kingsland ga
Ownership

1. 700-4
Fixing to get the update and will have the service tech to check oil in front of me.
Thanks! For that I'm for
Mike48

H

HondaTech

Puts my name in the dirt. I guess being a Honda only dealer helps, but whenever something new drops all our techs take a couple days to overview the maintenance stuff. So mistakes like this font happen.

FYI, I don't drain any oil when I install the update. We have a chain hoist to lift the rear end up. Sure I lose a little oil, but there's no chance youll get contaminated oil reinstalled or none at all!!

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Puts my name in the dirt. I guess being a Honda only dealer helps, but whenever something new drops all our techs take a couple days to overview the maintenance stuff. So mistakes like this font happen.

FYI, I don't drain any oil when I install the update. We have a chain hoist to lift the rear end up. Sure I lose a little oil, but there's no chance youll get contaminated oil reinstalled or none at all!!

That's a good idea

Reactions: Plumber32

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!