Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be seriously looking at the new 18 Ranger 1000 as they upgraded their clutch and belt. I use my 700 on the farm and need to go slow, so it looks like the Ranger will be a better option for me. My neighbor just bought a P1000-5 in the blue with windshield and roof. The Honda is a beautiful machine, but it needs a low-speed clutch that will last.
Id do the same in your situation. I used a power sprayer for weeds with mine just once. After a few minutes I said screw this slow clutch slipping and went and strapped it to my foreman. Luckily the clutch issue had already been discovered.
I don't take it easy on my clutch at all. And I'm confident that's why it's still rock solid with the mileage it has. I don't slip it. Ever. And I warn all new passengers lol.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Any idea if 2017’s coming off the assembly line will have this fix (maybe a certain date or serial number range)? Or just All 2018’s will have this fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The P1K engines are assembled in Japan and shipped to the SC factory. It is my understanding they would be going into 2018 models only, having just arrived in the US a few weeks ago. There is plenty of 2017 inventory on hand, I just don't expect to see those engines being used in any 2017 models.

TAW

TAW

Sep 12, 2016
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just dropped my 1000 off today 3rd gear is slipping the service manager said the new parts to fix the problem with clutch plates getting hot and failing will be available in a couple days he said Honda will be sending out a notice it sounds like they will install them under recall

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
J

JTW

Just dropped my 1000 off today 3rd gear is slipping the service manager said the new parts to fix the problem with clutch plates getting hot and failing will be available in a couple days he said Honda will be sending out a notice it sounds like they will install them under recall
Keep us posted and with the receipt as well!

Reactions: my99svt
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Mines just sitting in the shop all taken apart waiting for a fix or I'll just replace clutch again before my next ride whichever is first

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mines just sitting in the shop all taken apart waiting for a fix or I'll just replace clutch again before my next ride whichever is first
Ill call my dealers service manager tommorow,and see what he has heard.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is it still under warranty, or is this a recall?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ill call my dealers service manager tommorow,and see what he has heard.

P1K's with latest round of revised / updated parts started rolling off assembly line just before the last week of July. However those parts were already assembled on the engine and transmission in Japan and shipped to S.C. plant. May be awhile if individual parts become available to order, don't know what the parts numbers are yet, but when I can with try to list all of them in one table, old vs. new part #.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Look at the Defender too. I am biased of course ;) , but I really like my Defender and it does great at slow speed work stuff so far. A lot of the new features on the Ranger are currently on the Defender.
The Defender looks like a nice machine too. I really want the Honda but................. I just like all the upgrades they did to the new Ranger coming out but reliability still scares me. For what my Honda 700 is, it has been a great machine. Would like 3 seats, power steering and turf mode though. Competition always raises everyone's game so Honda needs to take note. Polaris sure did.

B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand the clutch issue is a problem but I called my dealer about fox shocks and when I asked him about clutch fix he said he hadn't heard anything. He also said I sell 6-8 of these a week and we've never had one come back for it. Just thought it was an interesting thing to share.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I understand the clutch issue is a problem but I called my dealer about fox shocks and when I asked him about clutch fix he said he hadn't heard anything. He also said I sell 6-8 of these a week and we've never had one come back for it. Just thought it was an interesting thing to share.

Dealers likely won't hear anything. Big H isn't saying anything on the record, they rarely do.

Reactions: Eltobgi and Delton
B

Byrdman

May 21, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dealers likely won't hear anything. Big H isn't saying anything on the record, they rarely do.

Yea I get it. Was more surprised they haven't had any returned for clutches.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!