P1000 Clutch update

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I noticed on FB that a gentleman stated that his machine is currently at Abernathy's for burned clutches and the service department has stated they aren't going to replace them until Honda releases a fix.

Being they are the largest Polaris dealer in the US and they usually have a huge number of machines waiting to be assembled and sold (not to mention all of the repairs :p) and they have a pretty limited amount of real estate around the store, I would make the assumption that there is a fix coming and it is coming really soon.

I believe this ties in with Jackal's mention of an August fix in another thread.

I am looking forward to seeing what it is and I don' t even have a P1000 anymore. :D

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I will be surprised if there is a clutch improvement. I think lower gearing would help a lot. For ranch and farm use where there is a lot of heavy loads at slow speed 25 inch tires will be an easy improvement even 24's off the Pioneer 500. Prolonged use at and under 1,800 rpm will overheat the clutch. In my opinion "most" of the clutch problems are from super low speed use and large tires. The clutch on M/X and trials bikes don't last long and are slipped a lot at high rpm. The 2018 models will be interesting. The 500 owners don't have clutch problems but its geared extremely low.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
We have 62 owners running 28's and 29's. 37 are running 30's. Most of the large tires are probably the heavy mud tires. Large tires for street legal road use won't be a problem. I have 28" Mongrels on mine and over 7,000 miles with no problems. I do about 10% rock crawling and have to stop at times but get it rolling above 3 mph right away.

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I will agree with the larger tires. But not about motor X or trail bikes. I raced moto X all my childhood thru my mid 30,s never repaired or replaced a single clutch on a Honda Yamaha or Suzuki. Had many trail bikes also never a clutch issue. Most all Honda trail bikes from the 70,s and 80,s that are still running to this day still have the factory clutches in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
The 1000 is geared good in low and high. Reverse is geared to high for low speed and pulling. Does Honda have a clutch problem? YES does Honda know about it? YES. Can Honda come up with a fix? YES. Will Honda come up with a fix? YES. They will have to in order to keep sells up and going. If the 17 models burn up clutches and Honda does nothing Honda will be done with the SXS business. In order for Honda to sell $17k dollar machines the heat issue and clutch issues has to be fixed and not at owners expense.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Team Honda M/X riders got a new clutch for every race weekend in the 70's. They always had a spare clutch that was broken in too. Trials bikes not trail bikes slip the clutch at very high rpm. Check out this video.
We have a world Trials round in Kingman July 29th and 30th.

Reactions: sharp
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Team Honda M/X riders got a new clutch for every race weekend in the 70's. They always had a spare clutch that was broken in too. Trials bikes not trail bikes slip the clutch at very high rpm. Check out this video.
We have a world Trials round in Kingman July 29th and 30th.
Thats awesome! I'd love to skip up a bolder pile like that.
Clutches would be the least of my worries if I tried it now.

Reactions: elkaholic
J

JTW

I will be surprised if there is a clutch improvement. I think lower gearing would help a lot. For ranch and farm use where there is a lot of heavy loads at slow speed 25 inch tires will be an easy improvement even 24's off the Pioneer 500. Prolonged use at and under 1,800 rpm will overheat the clutch. In my opinion "most" of the clutch problems are from super low speed use and large tires. The clutch on M/X and trials bikes don't last long and are slipped a lot at high rpm. The 2018 models will be interesting. The 500 owners don't have clutch problems but its geared extremely low.
I would have agreed.. but there are IGR guys having repetive clutch failures as well. Some with just 30's... then you have some guys with 30's and no issues. When my clutch went... it was less than 10 seconds of holding. I was amazed how little time it had between rock solid to slippier than a 2 dollar hoe! A clutch should take waaaay more abuse than that... if the pressure is there and the friction material isn't just falling off then they're just getting too hot, too fast. I've seen some pics of some clutches that were some hot monkeys now! Major decoloration and obvious temperature issues.

What still makes ZERO sense to me is how mine went from slipping for a couple weeks, to suddenly I couldn't make it slip.. then riding just around the neighborhood for a week and then it started slipping again. I just don't understand.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I would have agreed.. but there are IGR guys having repetive clutch failures as well. Some with just 30's... then you have some guys with 30's and no issues. When my clutch went... it was less than 10 seconds of holding. I was amazed how little time it had between rock solid to slippier than a 2 dollar hoe! A clutch should take waaaay more abuse than that... if the pressure is there and the friction material isn't just falling off then they're just getting too hot, too fast. I've seen some pics of some clutches that were some hot monkeys now! Major decoloration and obvious temperature issues.

What still makes ZERO sense to me is how mine went from slipping for a couple weeks, to suddenly I couldn't make it slip.. then riding just around the neighborhood for a week and then it started slipping again. I just don't understand.
Maybe something floating around closing up the oil relief valves?

Reactions: moparornocar
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm honestly bored with rumors. Honda takes forever to do anything. They always have. Somebody tag me when the upgraded clutches are ready lol. Btw if they do come out with an upgrade, unless it's time sensitive, I'm keeping my factory set til they let go. Just out of curiosity. 2617 miles to date (knock on wood).

J

JTW

I'm honestly bored with rumors. Honda takes forever to do anything. They always have. Somebody tag me when the upgraded clutches are ready lol. Btw if they do come out with an upgrade, unless it's time sensitive, I'm keeping my factory set til they let go. Just out of curiosity. 2617 miles to date (knock on wood).
Apparently you just need to let CP drive it...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The machines that have revised parts should be hitting dealers the first week of October, they will be P1K EPS, & P1K5D. No info on 2018. LE or base models, Honda made way too many 2017 base P1K, that inventory will have to shrink first.

No info or acknowlegment of revision or updated parts will be made just silent rollout in MY2018 P1K's. Anybody's guess if there will be a kit to retrofit '16 &'17 models, may just be applied if replaced under warranty, meaning if no extended warranty after 12 mo. might be SOL.

Comparing parts fiche year over year will be only indicator, oil cooler, sensor location, case cover, DCT valves, oil pumps, would be the items to compare part numbers.

Reactions: Plumber32 and sharp
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
072917uaInternatTrialE
072917vaInternatTrialE
072917zoInternatTrialE

The Top World Trials guys get a new clutch for each event and do WOT clutch drops in 2nd and 3rd gears to get up the huge steps. This event in Arizona was a easy event. A more durable clutch for us would be good. I'm at 7,299 miles with 28 inch tires now and won't need an updated clutch if one is available but the next owner might. The two clutch failures at my dealership were hunters doing 3 mph in high range. That's about 1400 to 1500 rpm where the clutch is still slipping. They use low range now. When doing rock crawling I do come to a stop occasionally but get going quickly to above 3mph to prevent overheating my clutch. I need reliability for my long solo remote rides so I don't do extreme rock crawling with my 1000 but my 700 works great with the torque converter. Hopefully Honda will have a future model with super low gearing like the Pioneer 500 and with 30's on stock.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The machines that have revised parts should be hitting dealers the first week of October, they will be P1K EPS, & P1K5D. No info on 2018. LE or base models, Honda made way too many 2017 base P1K, that inventory will have to shrink first.

No info or acknowlegment of revision or updated parts will be made just silent rollout in MY2018 P1K's. Anybody's guess if there will be a kit to retrofit '16 &'17 models, may just be applied if replaced under warranty, meaning if no extended warranty after 12 mo. might be SOL.

Comparing parts fiche year over year will be only indicator, oil cooler, sensor location, case cover, DCT valves, oil pumps, would be the items to compare part numbers.
With Honda I'm still going with all that is speculation until the upgrades/improvements are tangible products in somebody's hands.
Hopeful and wishful thinking go hand in hand. At this point I guess I'm a little of both lol.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT

Any idea if 2017’s coming off the assembly line will have this fix (maybe a certain date or serial number range)? Or just All 2018’s will have this fix?

Reactions: sharp
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
With Honda I'm still going with all that is speculation until the upgrades/improvements are tangible products in somebody's hands.
Hopeful and wishful thinking go hand in hand. At this point I guess I'm a little of both lol.

I will be seriously looking at the new 18 Ranger 1000 as they upgraded their clutch and belt. I use my 700 on the farm and need to go slow, so it looks like the Ranger will be a better option for me. My neighbor just bought a P1000-5 in the blue with windshield and roof. The Honda is a beautiful machine, but it needs a low-speed clutch that will last.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be seriously looking at the new 18 Ranger 1000 as they upgraded their clutch and belt. I use my 700 on the farm and need to go slow, so it looks like the Ranger will be a better option for me. My neighbor just bought a P1000-5 in the blue with windshield and roof. The Honda is a beautiful machine, but it needs a low-speed clutch that will last.

You won’t be the only one... lots of Honda guys are very let down with this machine and Honda not saying a word about it. Trying to ignore problems doesn’t make them go away.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Look at the Defender too. I am biased of course ;) , but I really like my Defender and it does great at slow speed work stuff so far. A lot of the new features on the Ranger are currently on the Defender.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!