Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda has decades of experience with dct's. Even "if" there's a problem with the clutch design, they will make good on it. As for Barnett not making clutches for the 1000, that's perfectly fine with me. I dragraced a CBR1000F and CBR900RR for around 17 years and went through alot of clutches. No aftermarket clutch (especially Barnett) even came close to OEM quality.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL, I feel for you man! Let me clarify that I've only ever experienced it on steep hills when I wanted to go less than 3 or 4 mph. I will try to do a test for you on fairly normal slopes in the next day or so and see how slow I can go before the clutch tries to engage.
Lol! Thanks PioneerPete. I appreciate the test. This is very important to me. Because I am going to be the only honda sxs on the farm so if I smoke those damn clutches twisting in and out of trees in front of all my family all riding Polaris's I'm going to be really ticked off.

Have I mentioned I just love this Club!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PioneerPete
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No problem Stauvo thats what the forum is about for me. I will go ahead and venture a guess that the Popo's belt drive wont perform any better at loaded creeper speed. The scenario where the clutch shudder occurs would also smoke a belt.

Reactions: Mtncur28 and Stauvo
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
This clutch failure happened on a very unusual trail. I doubt the clutch was defective and going up the same hill in low range probably wouldn't be a problem. The reverse gear is not very low so being careful backing up may be important plus there is not many situations where we need to back up very far. I'm sure Honda will warranty this clutch and most dealers will go to bat for their customer. Now my Pioneer 500 has a very low 1st and reverse gear. I run 27 inch Big Horns on it and If I need to go fast I run 30 inch tires for a top speed of 46 mph. With the stock 24 inch tires top speed is about 38.5 mph.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No problem Stauvo thats what the forum is about for me. I will go ahead and venture a guess that the Popo's belt drive wont perform any better at loaded creeper speed. The scenario where the clutch shudder occurs would also smoke a belt.

Well actually if you replicated the same conditions would have likely snapped the little reverse chain drive and knocked a hole in the differential like the dozens upon dozens of Polaris owners have already done when they tried to back up a hill under load.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well actually if you replicated the same conditions would have likely snapped the little reverse chain drive and knocked a hole in the differential like the dozens upon dozens of Polaris owners have already done when they tried to back up a hill under load.
Chain for reverse and belt for forward??? Man those things must really suck!:eek:

Reactions: Stauvo
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Chain for reverse and belt for forward??? Man those things must really suck!:eek:

Yes they have a 10-12mm wide chain like a timing chain to hold the entire reverse load to back up, no warning just snap and bust a hole in the transmission case. I will let you look it up yourself to read about it.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
It may be a fluke because out of the tons sold, only mine has failed. Only time will tell but it may not be a widespread problem or it may very well be, but I don't think it will be considering no one else (that we know of) has burned up a clutch yet.

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It may be a fluke because out of the tons sold, only mine has failed. Only time will tell but it may not be a widespread problem or it may very well be, but I don't think it will be considering no one else (that we know of) has burned up a clutch yet.
Have you took it to the dealer yet? My question is how much shudder/ slipping can it take? I know on a belt drive I've smoked the belt plenty of times in low and never thought about it.

Reactions: Serial_Fordicator
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Have you took it to the dealer yet? My question is how much shudder/ slipping can it take? I know on a belt drive I've smoked the belt plenty of times in low and never thought about it.

Yep, I took her in today.

Yeah me too. With a cvt, I always installed a clutch kit and had no more worries though. I pray this one doesn't burn clutches instead of belts.

Reactions: HivoltageHonda
advertisement
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes they have a 10-12mm wide chain like a timing chain to hold the entire reverse load to back up, no warning just snap and bust a hole in the transmission case. I will let you look it up yourself to read about it.
I just finished a brief bit of research into Polaris RZR/Ranger issues with belts and chains... DAYUM! And after my personal experience with helping a driver replace an axle in the middle of a creek on a balmy 28degree TN night, and hearing his buddies talk about ALL the axles they've had to replace... I will never give a second thought to buying my p1k! (Not that I ever did anyway).

Reactions: Delton and Stauvo
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
Do you think if you could of turned around and went up the hill in forward low the clutch would of burned up?

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will probably get the extended warranty to give me some peace of mind.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Do you think if you could of turned around and went up the hill in forward low the clutch would of burned up?
I honestly don't know. I know the little I did drive up was shuddering in a few places.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just finished a brief bit of research into Polaris RZR/Ranger issues with belts and chains... DAYUM! And after my personal experience with helping a driver replace an axle in the middle of a creek on a balmy 28degree TN night, and hearing his buddies talk about ALL the axles they've had to replace... I will never give a second thought to buying my p1k! (Not that I ever did anyway).
I've replaced several belts on Polaris and Canam atvs for friends. One brought me his John Deere 650 (Canam) and his clutch had broke. The inner piece was actually made of plastic. That alone made me decide to never own a belt driven machine.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
That alone made me decide to never own a belt driven machine.
those are words to live by

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawk53
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
LOL, I can replace a belt for <$100 if I ever need to. But I have never had to in several rubberband vehicles in 20 years of riding them.

When you have to replace those clutches it ain't gonna be for $100 and your ain't gonna do it beside the trail.

Good luck with that.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL, I can replace a belt for <$100 if I ever need to. But I have never had to in several rubberband vehicles in 20 years of riding them.

When you have to replace those clutches it ain't gonna be for $100 and your ain't gonna do it beside the trail.

Good luck with that.
did you ever bust a reverse chain? Fordicatos main problem was that he was forced to back up the hill and the reverse gear is a little "taller" than forward low.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
did you ever bust a reverse chain? Fordicatos main problem was that he was forced to back up the hill and the reverse gear is a little "taller" than forward low.
Reverse really is too tall in my opinion. I've had to back out of a couple sticky situations and engine/clutch did struggle.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!