P1000 Clutches burnt up

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Well someone was bound to do it, it may as well been me. My biggest complaint about the pioneer has been too high gearing especially in reverse. Well, I was right. Last night while trying to back up a pretty tall hill to keep from going through a deep mud hole, I burnt the clutches. It was lugging, and I tried not to let it but I can't back up going 15 mph through woods. Now it takes alot of rpms to get to move and it wont shift and if it tries slips back and forth through the gears. I guess it's a good thing the 31" outlaws wouldn't fit. It can't even handle 27s with 3 people and an icechest.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's terrible news. In sorry to hear that. I believe there had to be a problem with the vehicle. I've loaded mine down with three people and gear for a days ride and have not had this problem. We were actually surprised how slow it would crawl up steep hills and not slip the clutch. And yes, we even did it in reverse.

Surely there was a preexisting problem.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
That's terrible news. In sorry to hear that. I believe there had to be a problem with the vehicle. I've loaded mine down with three people and gear for a days ride and have not had this problem. We were actually surprised how slow it would crawl up steep hills and not slip the clutch. And yes, we even did it in reverse.

Surely there was a preexisting problem.
Thanks I hope you are correct. I did forget to mention there were some small downed trees I was having to go over while going back up

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That's not good. Sorry to here about the trouble.
You only had it a few weeks... How many miles have you put on it?
If this is the case, its something Honda will be looking at for sure.

Reactions: Luv4Chaos1
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
I'm guessing that 1st and reverse uses the same clutch?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well someone was bound to do it, it may as well been me. My biggest complaint about the pioneer has been too high gearing especially in reverse. Well, I was right. Last night while trying to back up a pretty tall hill to keep from going through a deep mud hole, I burnt the clutches. It was lugging, and I tried not to let it but I can't back up going 15 mph through woods. Now it takes alot of rpms to get to move and it wont shift and if it tries slips back and forth through the gears. I guess it's a good thing the 31" outlaws wouldn't fit. It can't even handle 27s with 3 people and an icechest.

Sorry to hear you have issues. Question though have you adjusted ANY of the shift cables for tension etc. Many have had comments it was sloppy and didn't easily go into gear with the lever in the selected notch. Mine is somewhat the same but move the lever ever so slightly until it engages. Now more to the point it the cables are adjusted too tight like for Reverse it could be a source of causing a clutch engagement issue, just like over tightening the automatic clutch adjustment screw on the old ATC's. Apples & Oranges I know but the same principal I think may apply her just thinking out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JTW
S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Sorry to hear you have issues. Question though have you adjusted ANY of the shift cables for tension etc. Many have had comments it was sloppy and didn't easily go into gear with the lever in the selected notch. Mine is somewhat the same but move the lever ever so slightly until it engages. Now more to the point it the cables are adjusted too tight like for Reverse it could be a source of causing a clutch engagement issue, just like over tightening the automatic clutch adjustment screw on the old ATC's. Apples & Oranges I know but the same principal I think may apply her just thinking out loud.

No, I've never adjusted any cables as it hasn't been in for it's first service yet. It never has acted like it didn't want to shift or shifted erratic. I've had problems with lugging issues while going slow, but have always put in manual and tried to give more gas to offset. It's just hard when you want to crawl going down tight trails.

advertisement
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
Can't put in low range and reverse.
Pretty sure it was a faulty clutch man. Sucks it had to happen. Ive did several all day trips completely loaded.

Loaded with 5 people
250lbs
285lbs
200lbs
60 lbs
125 lbs

ive lead the pack most of the times and let my dad drive and neice. Hit some pretty crazy terrain. Never had one time when it slipped or thought about slipping

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This goes back to the shudder you feel when you go real slow in technical trails. I still think low is not low enough. That's sucks to
Hear yours is messed up. The main reason I bought this thing was that it is a Honda so surely they got this transmission right the first time. Time will tell I guess. Let us know what they say.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man this is terrible news. If this turns out to be a design flaw is there a way to put a gear reduction in something like this other than smaller tires? I'll probably jump to the 5 seater in a year. Is it possible to maybe change the ratios in the diffs? Its common on the arctic cat atv to change from the 3.1s to a 3.6 or 4.0 of the 1st mudpros. Just a thought.

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
Man this is terrible news. If this turns out to be a design flaw is there a way to put a gear reduction in something like this other than smaller tires? I'll probably jump to the 5 seater in a year. Is it possible to maybe change the ratios in the diffs? Its common on the arctic cat atv to change from the 3.1s to a 3.6 or 4.0 of the 1st mudpros. Just a thought.
I honestly think low/reverse isn't low enough. I emailed barnett clutches today to inquire if they are going to make clutches for it. Hopefully I'll get some sort of answer next week. I'm now wondering if I should trade it in on a highlifter edition ranger. I've never had problems out of any cvt transmission in any brand I've had but this is scary.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I honestly think low/reverse isn't low enough. I emailed barnett clutches today to inquire if they are going to make clutches for it. Hopefully I'll get some sort of answer next week. I'm now wondering if I should trade it in on a highlifter edition ranger. I've never had problems out of any cvt transmission in any brand I've had but this is scary.
I'll trade you for a fully loaded 700-4. Walker evans shocks all the way around power steering. Full cab never worry about having to walk again. :)

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Wow dude that sucks first time ive ever hear of a honda tranny failing that is not a manual clutch crazy bro hope its something simple

Reactions: Serial_Fordicator
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
But i dont know how a clutch will slip in a clutchless system?????

S

Serial_Fordicator

Oct 14, 2015
I'll trade you for a fully loaded 700-4. Walker evans shocks all the way around power steering. Full cab never worry about having to walk again. :)
Thanks but no, I have to have a low

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!