BOX1

CO trail ride

W

wataboy

Dec 22, 2016
SoGA
Ownership

1. 700-4
There comes a time in life when you can see farther in the rearview mirror than you can through the windshield so if there's anything you might want to do you better get on it. Never been out west before so I got to watching YouTube vids about Colorado trails and decided to go experience some first hand the end of August. I didn't want to chance any P700 high altitude woes so I took the Rubi.

I did 2 days each at Red Cone, Mt Antero and North Divide 717. I believe that gave me a good mix of what CO had to offer and they were only about 90 miles from each other.

Had to do this on the cheap so I car camped the whole trip, brown bagged my meals and showered at different stops...usually $2-5 a pop.

IMG 1933

Wanted to savor my first time across Old Man River so I took this ferry. One word of caution...the approach angles both on and off the ferry are pretty steep. I had to drive at a 45 (or less) degree angle to keep from scrubbing. The ferry operators were very helpful and knew all the tricks.

IMG 1934 1

IMG 1938

Red Cone. What a way to pop the cherry. Below treelike is rocky but smoother above it. Met some great locals on the way up that offered me to ride with their group that day. Went down Radical Hill but did not go up it...maybe next time. Awesome trails.

IMG 8216

IMG 1953

IMG 8231

IMG 1990

Mt Antero. Once again below treelike is really rocky but smooths out above it. Shelf roads and switchbacks...super cool.

IMG 2015 1

IMG 2032 1

North Divide 717 By far the funnest riding. Crazy amount of 50" trails. Probably could have stayed here 3-4 days to ride it all.

IMG 2043 1

IMG 2047

IMG 2051 1

IMG 2054 1

Interesting rock formation on the 717. According to my vast archaeological knowledge it was 'erected' about 400BC by the Mi-So-Horni tribe.

IMG 2064

Of course I had to find some BBQ in KC and this one came highly recommended. Probably 15-20 min off of I-70. It was very good.

IMG 2085

A great trip all around. Can't wait get back out west. Maybe Utah or NM next.