russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Buggy runs fine but after it heats up it will randomly stop shifting and shut off. It will start right back up but when you shift into gear it acts like the clutch is lock up and chokes down. After it cools off it will start and run normally until it does it again.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
What is the flash pattern? How did you come about a 40-2?

I see a 42, shift switch malfunction. Which might do what you said.
Gearshift does not work, stuck in gear, usually 1st gear.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Symptoms sound like the shift control motor needs cleaned.
or, you have a heater under the driver seat and it is getting the ECM to hot.
edit> But, I see you are in Florida, haha, so that is probably not your problem.
another edit>
The OP, @russknight , said he cleaned the shift control motor and thinks that fixed it.
Here is a good shift control motor cleaning, not on a Pioneer, but the motor is the same.
The cleaning starts at about the 45 second mark.
Hopefully it can help the next guy.
Have a good day

Last edited:
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
What is the flash pattern? How did you come about a 40-2?

I see a 42, shift switch malfunction. Which might do what you said.
Gearshift does not work, stuck in gear, usually 1st gear.
Instrument panel where transmission gear indicatoris displayed has a dash that flashes the code.

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Buggy runs fine but after it heats up it will randomly stop shifting and shut off. It will start right back up but when you shift into gear it acts like the clutch is lock up and chokes down. After it cools off it will start and run normally until it does it again.
How many miles?
Sounds exactly like what mine did when the original spark plugs that were in it were fouling up and something was Fubar with the inner workings of the plugs. Iridiums are great till the go foul. Just saying what my case was.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I think it's fixed. Pulled the shift motor and cleaned the armature, lightly lubed the armature shaft where it seats in the bushing with waterproof grease and the shaft where it goes through the seal, reassembled and so far, so good.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!