Cold Weather Starts

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
Needless to say I'm very impressed with my Pioneer so far. I made it through my first New York State hunting season and the unit performed flawlessly. It was nice to put that first buck in the bed and not have it sliding all over the rack of my Rubi, I would attached pics but I can't figure out how to upload them to the sight??? I was also very impressed on how agile the unit is on our trails, they were all cut for standard ATV's and narrow but with the exception of a little limbing it performed awesome. Mud, snow, and hill climbing didn't stop me from getting to any of my stands this year.

I would also like to comment on the EFI, my P2 had sat for a couple weeks in 5-10deg temps and to my surprise started immediately. Another thing I don't miss about my Rubi !!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Picture directions. viewtopic.php?t=662

Would love to see your buck.

Glad to know the Pioneer can handle cold weather. I have only had it down to 22 deg. Not sure I could even handle 5 deg. Lol.
The EFI sure has taken all the trouble out of cold starts. I haven't had any issues out of my Rincon or P4.

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks for the photo tips HondaSxS!!

This is what "christening" my P2 was all about!!

Attachments

• Pioneer Buck1A.jpg
    Pioneer Buck1A.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 850
  • Pioneer Buck1B.jpg
    Pioneer Buck1B.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 846
C

Clarky

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Congrats on the buck, and love the pictures. I really enjoy seeing peoples pictures of the Pioneer in action.

G

GulfCoast

Oct 8, 2013
Nice buck! My P2 has fired right up in the low 20's with no problem. It seldom gets colder than that in Mississippi.

Gwishy

Gwishy

Oct 9, 2013
Peru, NY
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm pretty happy with it!! I was still hunting by myself and caught him running a doe. He had more important things on his mind than my .270 !! The Pioneer made for a real easy drag back to camp...

180#, 10pt with a 17" inside spread

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Nice looking buck.Its funny that you mentioned that he had other things on his mind.We were out riding in a field with the dog tied up in the back of the Pioneer.We had just stopped for a break and were standing when all of a sudden the dog started barking and to our surprise there was this buck running straight towards us. I was starting to think he was going to run right into us ,but at 25' from us he veered off.His head was held back and he was breathing hard,he definitly had one thing on his mind.It was hunting season however I don't hunt anymore so after having that happen we decided to go back home just in case there were hunters out who could have taken some shots with out knowing we were there.As far as cold weather starts I really don't know mine has been sitting in the heated shop so it starts easy.LOL

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
Gwishy, Nice buck!
I'm glad to here this news. I have been wondering how the Pioneer would handle in super cold weather.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Getting my Pioneer soon and It will be left outside like all my other machines albeit covered. I'll let you guys know how it starts this weekend as it is supposed to drop to under -25 C. Cheers.

advertisement
B

Beastburner

Oct 20, 2013
Missouri
Since were on the starting subject does your pioneer act like the battery is dead when u start it in gear and not pressing the brake? I know if the brake is pressed in while in gear it starts fine. Anyone else notice this?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Safety feature, what happens if someone is in front or behind and someone starting it has foot on gas? Forcing you to use brake or take it out of gear prevents possible injuries.

B

bbdo

Nov 1, 2013
I started mine last night when it was around -5. It barely started, I had to pump the throttle as if it had a carb. I cranked and cranked, but the moment I put a little gas pedal into it, the engine started to fire and then started and had no further issues. Definitely not happy about that.. but it did start and i got the driveway plowed at least.

greenatv

greenatv

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bbdo, Thats not good. Havent heard anyone else having issues.
I have never been in that cold weather. I would think you would about have a hard start with anything at -5.
Keep us informed if it continues.

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Burr? I wouldn't start.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
primeau said:
Getting my Pioneer soon and It will be left outside like all my other machines albeit covered. I'll let you guys know how it starts this weekend as it is supposed to drop to under -25 C. Cheers.

Glad I live so far south we're staying a balmy +27F/-3C for the low. We've only been below 0F once since 1900, -1F is our all time RECORD low.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it was -20 here this morning and it started just fine. Gets way colder than that when winter really gets going. It's a Honda I have no worries!

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
bbdo---> really? Hmmm, mine started fine. It did turn over about three times before starting but I didn't have to give it gas.

B

bbdo

Nov 1, 2013
just started it at around 0 to -2 and it fired right up. it stays outside and I haven't run it since I last plowed. who knows what the issue was the first time, but its back in the 'does everything well' camp!

advertisement