P1000 Color matter?

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I want camo, dealer has a red one coming in. He said he could buy the camo plastic and switch it out. Sound right? Everything the same under the plastic?

Yes, I wanted vapor white but they only had a red so they ordered the white plastics and changed them out for $800. You can easily do this yourself. If I had it to do over again I would do it myself. The only hard part really is the hood. You need to take the bumper off and it will go much easier. You have to pull the battery, wiring harnesses and relays out and tuck back under the dash but other than that it’s pretty easy. I had to take my hood back off and reinstall b/c my dealer ‘forgot’ to put the 4-6 screws back in around my headlights. Be sure to change the plastics out before you add any accessories, dual battery, etc to save you a lot of time and headaches. Good luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I want camo, dealer has a red one coming in. He said he could buy the camo plastic and switch it out. Sound right? Everything the same under the plastic?
First off......... Welcome from South FL!

Color does matter!! Studies show that Red IS the fastest!!
So when you get that sweet red ride, pics!!!!

#NTC

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014

This is why I had to redo what my dealer was as supposed to do, if the screws above the headlights are not put back in the black trim piece won’t be snug against your plastics and look like crap. Called my dealer up and he said yeah we’ll send you the screws no problem. Didn’t offer to give me a gift card or oil change, etc for their screw up. This is why I suggest you order the plastics and put them on yourself. 71b3e30d51694d1a574ca174464ad1fe
5038e74df876db7481b8a6ca11e6ee22
9c4855c7d1b6194faab6ef7f00c2db25
F2042ecca08cba52f3b477789d8c1c85
780ffefa39e46cd877a356937b9a2e7a
8ca9fd0d5126e7a49ca16c2246620e53

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
This is why I had to redo what my dealer was as supposed to do, if the screws above the headlights are not put back in the black trim piece won’t be snug against your plastics and look like crap. Called my dealer up and he said yeah we’ll send you the screws no problem. Didn’t offer to give me a gift card or oil change, etc for their screw up. This is why I suggest you order the plastics and put them on yourself. View attachment 247729
View attachment 247730
View attachment 247731
View attachment 247732
View attachment 247733
View attachment 247734

I thought I could change out the hood without removing the bumper but it’s much easier if you do so you can attach the plastic to the black trim and then reinstall back on the machine.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have to go camo? You can pick any color from any year but I think the camo plastics are expensive if I remember correctly while the other colors except for LE colors are pretty darn cheap, last I priced out a complete set of metallic gray was $360 or even a little less from Rocky Mountain ATV, don’t get suckered by the dealer and pay $1k for plastics.

advertisement
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As has been stated...red is the fastest color. We held a poll on the forum to confirm it.

At TO2021 there is going to be an official bracket race to once and for all put the matter to bed. All entries for this bracket race have been spoken for. The time and place of the racing has been shared with all participants, but they've been sworn to secrecy. The participants cannot share where the race is, what time it is, who is racing, or which machines are racing. For safety reasons (due mostly to jackasses behind the wheels) we had to not allow live spectators. We do have plans to film this event however so that no one will ever be able to dispute the results. The fastest color title will be officially earned and forever end this silly argument.

For the record, plastic colors can be changed. Those units starting life Red though will always have their red advantage unless the ecu is also swapped. A couple have even tried to order these special red ecu's and failed. Honda anticipated this and only sells the non red ecu's as replacements. If you go to the Honda factory in person they will do a red ecu replacement for you. They validate your vin number was red from the factory and you still sport your red color before putting the new red ecu in and they destroy the one they remove to prevent it from falling into non red owners hands. Kind of above and beyond, but Ride Red means something.

#NTC

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My $.02

if you want cammo because you will use it for hunting, keep in mind it also makes it harder to find your toy after hiking for a few hours.

My buddy’s sxs is gray, and was a bit harder to find against the terrain than my white one

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just did a little researching on color change for another thread on here. The camo is crazy expensive. The 16 silver hood I put on is $54 while the camo is $381. Then you still need the other 7 panels. I know @jjau06 took the whole front off and bumper to make it easier to get to the 4 missing screws. But you can get to them without removing anything. I don't know exactly how but my wife can attest to it. She was tired of waiting on my to change out the panels and did them herself.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!