P1000 Colorado trails advice, Crested Butte/Gunnison?

H

husker

Jul 6, 2016
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm taking the family to Colorado next week and was wondering if anyone has ridden the Crested Butte/Gunnison area? We will have seven riders from the age of 13-72. We are taking the new Pioneer 1k-5, a rincon, two ranchers, and a borrowed Grizzly. Might still be looking for one more ride. I have a 400ex and a Big Red but might just rent one there. Any advise? Probably not looking for the most difficult trails available but some challenge is welcome. Thanks

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
husker, I live CO, and that is a excellent area for riding. I have rode that area several times (none yet this year, have a Labor Day camping trip planned for that area) so I dont have any updates for this season. It is still possible some passes or trails are closed, they got a ton of snow up there this last winter, but by now most should be open. I would suggest finding a book called ATV Trails Guide Colorado, Taylor Park, Crested Butte, ( by Charles A Wells). Local atv shops, or even sometimes Barnes and Noble will have this book. It lists 30 trails, with maps and tips, and a lot of good info. You could probably also google Taylor Park area and get a lot of info.

My personal favorites are Alpine Tunnel, Tincup Pass to St Elmo ghost town, Hancock Pass, Cumberland Pass, Taylor Pass/Aspen Summer Road (takes you to town of Aspen, no riding in town, but you can stop at Sundeck Restaurant at top of Aspen Mtn). Hancock Pass is a good loop to add to Tincup Pass/St Elmo/Alpine Tunnel, but may not be good for the less experienced riders. Cumberland Pass is a good, easy trail, you can test out your Pioneer for speed on this trail, but be careful, you top out at over 12000 ft and there are some steep/curvy areas. There are many others also. All of these trails may have some steep/and/or rocky areas, but unless otherwise noted, aren't to difficult, your Pioneer will do great, but keep in mind if any of the others are not e.f.i., you will be above 9000 ft and up to 13000 ft on some trails. There are many difficult to extreme trails in the area also, so its best to find out any info you can before starting a trail. There are also several easy trails in and around Taylor River Road after Taylor Reservoir. I would suggest always start out with a full tank of gas, as some of these loops may be 70 miles or more, but you can get gas in a few places, like Taylor Park Trading Post, and I think Tincup also has gas.

If you haven't rode in Colorado before, I think you also need a Colorado OHV sticker for each atv, and they will stop you if they don't see a sticker. I have been stopped many times even with sticker displayed. You are supposed to have driver license to ride anything over 90 cc and be registered (OHV sticker). I believe it is $25 for each sticker. I think you can contact Colorado State Parks for more info, and how or where to get a sticker. But don't be intimidated, the rangers usually have great info on what trails are open in the area and the best ones to ride. Hope you have a fun safe trip, this area you will find some of the best high mountain riding (scenic, challenges, long rides) in the entire country.

Reactions: dotman1
H

husker

Jul 6, 2016
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks a lot jj88. We've been to Colorado two years ago in the Dillon area. Great information. We just ordered that book this morning. We will only have about three days to ride but we'll make the best of it. Staying near crested butte.

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Are most trails open to Pioneer size vehicles?
Most of the the more popular trails are, yes, good for jeeps also. You would likely have to trailer into Taylor Park area from Crested Butte. Are you camping or hotel?

H

husker

Jul 6, 2016
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've rented a house about 7 miles from Crested Butte.

jj88

jj88

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
We've rented a house about 7 miles from Crested Butte.
Nice! Well, have a great time, you could spend 2 weeks up there and never hit the same trails twice, although some are so spectacular you will want to hit them twice. That book should help you a lot, you can always get free maps from any BLM or National Forest office also.Have fun and take lots of pics!

Buckster

Buckster

Aug 9, 2015
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
The ride from Marble through Lead King Basin, then Crystal and Crystal Mill area and back to Marble loop is nice. Lots of wildflowers, snowmelt waterfalls and streams. Jeeps take this trail as well, so you should have no problem.

The Schofield Pass portion may be too difficult for the younger ones depending on their experience, but if you start from the Crested Butte side, Emerald lake and Paradise Basin are nice and you can ride to the top of Schofield pass and walk it to check it out and decide whether or not you want to go down.

We've taken a P500 and Honda Ranchers on these trails and they had no problems.
Lead King Basin Cloud
Lead King Basin Dave quad

Reactions: vince and jawquin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!