BOX1

P1000 Comparison of heat from other SxS

Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 2015 Teryx4 and the heat was pretty bad, but it was beside you rather than under you. On the Teryx4 there was no solution, other than insulating the engine cover, which I did. I would say it produced more heat in the cab than my Pioneer 1000-5, but the difference is, in the Pioneer the heat is under the seat. The insulation and bilge fan seem to have conquered it for me, and I will find out for sure this weekend since it is in the 90's lol.

Reactions: joeymt33
txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spent a little time and money and moved on to enjoying my vehicle. Can't stay stuck forever on what Honda should have done!

Heat shield and bilge fan and now no heat problems. Just recently I added something to the dash to help that heat. It's quite enjoyable.

Can I get an Amen..hell I bought the bilge fan before I even picked up my machine. I'm in hot ass TX with no issues. BTW I did rent a Teryx in CO last year and it was hot and loud as hell. That belt whine sucked

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have any data but I have some anecdotal info.

-My brother has a friend who owns a Yamaha Rhino (whichever year was the last) and he has stated that it is MUCH hotter than the Pioneer 1000 even though it is a much smaller single cylinder engine.
-I now own a Defender HD8, which is significantly cooler than my previous Pioneer 1000. We rode the same trails for twice the amount of time in warmer weather and didn't get as hot as we did in the Pioneer, but it is a 800 rather than a 1000. My brother, who was dead set on getting a Wolverine and couldn't be persuaded otherwise has now decided he wants a Defender. ;)

One thing that I noticed was going slow in Low Range made it much hotter on the rear riders. Going above 15 MPH seemed to make it much better according to my wife who had asked to be let out to walk home initially but relented when I started driving back at a higher speed in Hi Range the last time we took the Pioneer out in hot weather.
Crow Hunter, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Defender. I seriously considered it when I bought the Honda. Is it as capable, quiet and smooth? Obviously heat isnt an issue with the engine behind you. How is the engine braking on steep hills?

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Crow Hunter, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Defender. I seriously considered it when I bought the Honda. Is it as capable, quiet and smooth? Obviously heat isnt an issue with the engine behind you. How is the engine braking on steep hills?
I also would like to hear

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a 09 yamaha rhino and the heat was really bad the pioneer is not even close in comparison, its way cooler.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had a 09 yamaha rhino and the heat was really bad the pioneer is not even close in comparison, its way cooler.
Well the rhino also costs like 10k, and it was an 09.

I would expect the brand new 17k rig to run cooler.

A lot of rigs made ten years ago were hotter

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I spent a little time and money and moved on to enjoying my vehicle. Can't stay stuck forever on what Honda should have done!

Heat shield and bilge fan and now no heat problems. Just recently I added something to the dash to help that heat. It's quite enjoyable.
Let's see your install pic for dash heat fix @joeymt33 o_O

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well the rhino also costs like 10k, and it was an 09.

I would expect the brand new 17k rig to run cooler.

A lot of rigs made ten years ago were hotter

To me the pioneer is a lot cooler, if you wanted to experience hot then the rhino was for you, It was good in the winter time !

Reactions: Boomboom907
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Let's see your install pic for dash heat fix @joeymt33 o_O

Later in the week when I get home from Panama I'll get a picture. @Montana did a good job. I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Here is a link to my review:

My new Canned Ham!

Recently updated from my trip yesterday.

The heat is, to me, is significantly less than on the Honda. There is heat, but it is further away and isn't coming up under the seat to warm your butt/back of your legs and it isn't blowing in your face through the shifter holes. (Fixable issue now on the Pioneer). There is some heat that is coming off the radiator that blows through the openings under the dash where the heater would be. There is probably a way to stop them up with some foam but I haven't looked into it yet. We rode for a long time yesterday very slow in Low Range with 3 full grown men in the seat and no body complained about the heat even though we were shoulder to shoulder.

It is much quieter than the Honda at low speeds. It is probably equal in noise at higher speeds but the Honda has the ability to be made quieter by upshifting the transmission into a higher gear where the Defender does not. From 1-15 MPH the Defender is much quieter, especially in Low Range. It is quiet enough that last time we rode my wife was sitting on the front porch of my brothers house and she said she could hear my brother talking before she heard the Defender. (My brother is loud though ;) ). From 15-30 MPH the Defender is quieter in High Range (wind is louder than the machine) but the Pioneer can be upshifted to make it quieter. From 30MPH-up the Pioneer definitely is quieter since you don't have the CVT whine plus the Pioneer can be upshifted into 6th gear and it makes almost no noise. I spend most of my time in Low Range and 10 MPH so the Defender works better for me.

Engine braking doesn't work the same between the two. The Honda has true engine braking. It will wrench your neck if you aren't expecting it but it works the same all the time. The Defender doesn't have engine braking the same way. If you start off on a hill with no throttle the Defender will creep down at 1 MPH but if you give it some gas, it will go faster if you give it enough gas, it won't have engine braking at all.

***Edit added for clarification: If you give it gas and let off, it will "engine brake" at the last RPM the engine was at. So if you give it enough gas that it will go 3MPH downhill and let off the gas, it will continue 3MPH and the higher than idle RPM. If you never give it any gas it will creep at 1 MPH or even stop at idle RPM. If you give it enough gas, and then let off it will basically "free wheel" similar to a Polaris. Where with the Pioneer, it will return to the lowest engine RPM that the incline will pull it down at rather than continuing. There are some situations that I prefer the Defender method and others that I prefer the Pioneer method. The Pioneer has a much more consistent and easy to predict hold back while the Defender requires some work with the throttle/brakes to get it where you want it.

There is a particular extremely steep hill on my farm trail that I prefer the Pioneer engine braking on. I could just let off the gas as I got to the crest and crawl down it with a little bit of brakes. The Defender I have to remember to slow way down or use the brake to get to the engine braking speed I want. While on the hill behind my house, that isn't as steep, I prefer the Defender because I can modulate the downward speed easier where with the Pioneer it would always slow down more than I wanted when I let off the gas.***

The Defender uses a one way bearing in the primary clutch that keeps the belt engaged so depending on the engine RPM, you get more or less belt slip. While I don't have any data to support this I believe that the Honda system will be more durable over time. I don't think you get as much clutch slip on the Honda doing this as you get belt slip on the Defender and I figure the belt will wear out on the Defender before the clutch disc on the Pioneer.

While I like my Defender more than I did my Pioneer for my particular uses, I think it is completely dependent how a person is using it as to which is superior.

For instance, if you wanted a machine that can seat 4-5 people, have a dump bed and be less than 120" long, your only choice is the Pioneer 1000.

Last edited:
S

sargenthp

May 17, 2017
US
For instance, if you wanted a machine that can seat 4-5 people, have a dump bed and be less than 120" long, your only choice is the Pioneer 1000.

Ding, ding, ding! And this is a big reason I picked the Pioneer... Otherwise I would have purchased the Commander. Owning 2 Can-Am Outlanders with really zero issues for the last 12 years, I would have gone with a Can-Am in a heartbeat, but they did not have what I really wanted. I already had my ATV's setup as a 2 up, so I didn't see the point to get a 2 seater SxS, and I didn't like the bus length of the extended SxS for more than 3.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go cruise around for about a half an hour and get your exhaust nice and hot, then cross a stream or puddle going about 15.

You will see what I'm talking about. That ambient heat from the air is pretty minor. Get that cab rolling with 200+ degree humidity.

I said in my original post that "while the heat peaks up in low gear and going up hills" - I notice the heat but many comment that as long as you are going faster getting some air - my cab heats up quite a bit when going a constant 25-30 Mph on a dirt road.

To the Steam - I added the Heat shield and Binge fan and that cut 90% of the steam - or rather diverted it

Kaptain

Kaptain

Jun 8, 2017
Marsing, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just got back from my first real ride on the Pioneer 1000-5. Around 300 miles over the weekend, in the mountains where the temps varied from mid-40's in the early mornings to high 80's in the afternoons. I can say that the seat heat was very welcome in the mornings, and the seat insulation and the bilge fan made it great in the heat. I keep the windshield open in the heat, and that makes a big difference. I noticed that if we closed the windshield the heat increased considerably, especially in the back seat, where it seems to draw the air up into the seating area. We worked her pretty hard with a lot of climbing. I really fell in love with the machine.

B

Buddins

Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a Commander 1000XT before the P-5. Commander was X3 hotter & X5 louder. Bilge fan pretty much eliminated any heat issue for me, but I run a half windshield. My buddy has the full windshield (with seat insulation & bilge fan) & says his heat is pretty bad.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a Commander 1000XT before the P-5. Commander was X3 hotter & X5 louder. Bilge fan pretty much eliminated any heat issue for me, but I run a half windshield. My buddy has the full windshield (with seat insulation & bilge fan) & says his heat is pretty bad.

My windshield is only for the 8 weeks of winter we get here.

Reactions: Crow_Hunter
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!