BOX1

P700 Considering a 700

C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
In answer to the question about the seats being comfortable, I would say the front seat is quite comfortable for 2 or 3 hours, I am 6 feet 2 inches and notice that I seem to be a little too close to the throttle and brake pedals, if the seat would move back a few inches my knee would not seem so cramped, but that is not a big problem, I realize it is not intended to be a long distance luxury passenger car. The rear seats are not as well padded because they need to be able to fold down and stow out of the way, but they are really nothing to complain about either. I would recommend a full rear cargo mat for hauling things, and I have also made my rear mats so I can take one side or the other out, depending on how many rear seats I want deployed and what else I may want to haul, so you have options to configure that area several ways. I am also in the process of having a bed extender made for adding to the capability of that small cargo area, there is a company called Dirt Road Fabrication in northern Utah that has made a real nice extender for the P1000, and I heard that they are going to make one for the P700-4 as well now, just what I wanted. To answer your question about the heat issue in the passenger compartment, we live in extreme Southern Utah where it gets real hot, our weather is a lot like Las Vegas, and yes you will notice some heat after operating for a few miles, I chose the two piece windshield Honda makes so I can open it up partially and let some air come in for those times it gets warm, and then when it is cold it is nice to have some heat in the cab. There again it is " tolerable ". I have owned motorcycles and ATV vehicles for about 50 years and I can tell you that when it comes time to sell one you can't do better than the Honda brand,also they are super reliable. Hope this helps with your decision making.

K

KeithinLouisiana

Oct 6, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you live in an area where you can go fast and speed is important get the Wolverine. It’s more of the recreational and the P700 is more utility that you can still really have a lot of fun playing in. The real Yamaha comparable to the P700 is the Viking. I considered the Viking at length. After all the pros and cons considered I decided to go with the P700. The Viking is a good machine and it was a tough decision. I am happy with my choice but what are pros for some people may be considered cons for others. Good luck deciding. You probably have a win win decision. No bad choice between the P700 and Wolverine or Viking based on my experiences with both Honda and Yamaha.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
right ive used the dobeck on my can am but much different story, i trail ride all day and at the mud parks its really the worst environment for heat which is slow and good bit of the rad gets plugged by clay and crap. the can am would literally burn my feet after about an hour and i had to stop at lunch at the cleaning station and clean the rad, with the dobeck i could ride all day without the light and wear sandles trail riding. but it just give you the ability to add fuel, the stock tune on alot of bike is incredibly lean for emissions, lean is hot. the 700 though is not ive used it all day at the mud parks and the spring when the pollen is mostly blocking the rad and the light has never come on
Yes...I was going to mention the heat reduction in my last post...but I was late for work.

Mine was a 2014 with no O2. I didn't notice any heat issues, and I don't recall anyone b****ing about heat on them.
The 2015 and up had tighter emissions standards, so they have 2 plugs, a catalytic converter, an O2 sensor, and closed loop injection. They are obviously running much leaner than the 2014's, and hotter as a result. Lots of people complain now.

If I were to buy a new 700, I'd probably add a Dobeck or other device not named Magnum Thrust Eagle Turbo Tuner, just to richen it up a bit and get it to run cooler. For that alone, I think it'd be worth it.

I've also toyed with the ideal of building an O2 enrichment device for the 500, but have to do more research.

H

hoosiermatt

Apr 2, 2017
southern IN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
Thanks, this is all really helpful. I don't need top speed at all, just fun on tighter trails and relatively comfortable seats for four people. Doubtful I would ever chip it, but the feedback here would have me going in a different direction if I actually did. I can't even answer my own questions without hindsight. Won't know if comfy seats or a dump bed are more important until I have had it a while. But that just makes the shopping all that more interesting. Everything is a gamble/compromise to some degree. As one poster mentioned, I doubt either machine would be a mistake. If I were selling the RZR, I'd lean toward the Wolverine, but since I'm keeping it to appeal to my inner teenager, I'm leaning towards the P7 to hopefully have the best of both worlds.

K

KeithinLouisiana

Oct 6, 2019
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks, this is all really helpful. I don't need top speed at all, just fun on tighter trails and relatively comfortable seats for four people. Doubtful I would ever chip it, but the feedback here would have me going in a different direction if I actually did. I can't even answer my own questions without hindsight. Won't know if comfy seats or a dump bed are more important until I have had it a while. But that just makes the shopping all that more interesting. Everything is a gamble/compromise to some degree. As one poster mentioned, I doubt either machine would be a mistake. If I were selling the RZR, I'd lean toward the Wolverine, but since I'm keeping it to appeal to my inner teenager, I'm leaning towards the P7 to hopefully have the best of both worlds.
This all makes a lot of sense to me.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

hoosiermatt

Apr 2, 2017
southern IN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
I'm 5'10" and my son is 6'1". We are going to sit in (and if possible, test drive) a p7 deluxe tomorrow to see what we think. Should be fun no matter what we figure out. I'll post my thoughts when we get back. Thanks guys, your input has been truly helpful.

J

JTMako

Nov 21, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
There are a couple of good threads on here addressing the front seat heat issue. If my memory is correct, Honda had a "comfort kit" that they installed free of charge to address it. My 2018 P7 had it installed already, but I still felt a lot of heat radiating up from the holes where the seat belt receptacles are, and the gap at the back of the seat bottom.

I bought some 1/2" thick, foil backed automotive padding and lined the front vertical area (where the back of your legs would be) on the engine side, not in the cab, and also on the top of the access holes for the engine (what you'd see if you removed the seat bottom).

That helped significantly and I added 2 Marine bilge fans like several others have done. Put them on a simple switch and use it when we're slow moving or dog days of summer. That has made all the difference in the world - being able to move the heat from where it is trapped in the engine bay out the back of the vehicle.

These were cheap, easy mods I did one afternoon and it has made a huge difference in comfort. That being said, in the winter, I'll pull the seat bottom matting and enjoy the heat coming up!

J

JTMako

Nov 21, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Found the pictures from that project. The exhaust pipe running right under the drivers butt is the problem. I bought some header wrap and stainless steel hose clamps, but the foil insulating mat helped enough that I haven't wrapped it yet. Might not even bother.

Resized 20180715 160458 Resized 20180715 170738 Resized 20180715 184910 Resized 20180715 194050 Resized 20180912 192236 Resized 20180915 150814

J

JTMako

Nov 21, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
As far as a low range goes - when I first bought my 700-4 Deluxe 2 years ago, I too felt like it should have a low range option. But I have used this thing to pull, drag, haul, crawl, and climb and am constantly impressed by what it is capable of. How Honda is able to extract and use that much torque is amazing. And the best part is, it seems to do it with no effort. The engine doesn't have to be wound out to 7,000 RPMs or anything. It's very smooth and comfortable.
I'm 5'10", 160lbs and the back seat is plenty comfortable for a while. I'd want to swap with who's in front some, but definitely tolerable. For extended riding, I got (3) 1.5" foam garden knee pads and put them on each side on the seat bottom in the back. It did three very good things:
1) more padding - always a good thing
2) raised your butt and hips up so you weren't sitting at an acute angle
3) increased your field of view

The versatility of having the bed as well as the back seats is essential to us, as we have 2 kids. I use the P7 more for work than play but it does both fairly well.

20191029 172455 20191019 152453 20190907 162545

H

hoosiermatt

Apr 2, 2017
southern IN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
As far as a low range goes - when I first bought my 700-4 Deluxe 2 years ago, I too felt like it should have a low range option. But I have used this thing to pull, drag, haul, crawl, and climb and am constantly impressed by what it is capable of. How Honda is able to extract and use that much torque is amazing. And the best part is, it seems to do it with no effort. The engine doesn't have to be wound out to 7,000 RPMs or anything. It's very smooth and comfortable.
I'm 5'10", 160lbs and the back seat is plenty comfortable for a while. I'd want to swap with who's in front some, but definitely tolerable. For extended riding, I got (3) 1.5" foam garden knee pads and put them on each side on the seat bottom in the back. It did three very good things:
1) more padding - always a good thing
2) raised your butt and hips up so you weren't sitting at an acute angle
3) increased your field of view

The versatility of having the bed as well as the back seats is essential to us, as we have 2 kids. I use the P7 more for work than play but it does both fairly well.

View attachment 163917 View attachment 163918 View attachment 163919
Holy cow. I cut/split/haul a lot of wood. Does it handle that load pretty easily? Any idea what that load weighs? Great pics!

J

JTMako

Nov 21, 2017
NC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Holy cow. I cut/split/haul a lot of wood. Does it handle that load pretty easily? Any idea what that load weighs? Great pics!
That was a double stacked load of fresh cut white oak, so still green and heavy. It handled that load very well, not too much lift off the front end, steering was still good, braking solid as usual, but you could feel it back there obviously.

The heaviest load I've hauled in the bed was a load of fist to head-sized rock up out of my creek to make a runoff for erosion control, and the 700 didn't appreciate it much. The weight shift off the front end made steering difficult in that there was much less grip, but as far as power goes, the engine and transmission handled it like a BOSS. I admit I overdid it that time, so I can't judge it too harshly.

To give it scale, the tree section in that one picture is sitting on a 5x8 trailer, and the butt end measured 26" in diameter. I pulled it and the trailer out of the woods up a decent hill with some rock and roots. Absolutely impressive. I promise you, you will not regret your decision if you pull the trigger and get one.

I'd plan on a good winch, 4500lb minimum, windshield, and possibly a top if you're out in the elements much. I got the soft top for mine this past Spring, and it's great for keeping your seat from baking in the sun, and doesn't make it top heavy. The hard plastic top is somewhat heavy but is practically indestructible. I can't tell you how many times I've rubbed against trees with it and it just shrugs it off. I keep it off most of the time because you lose a lot of the view with a top on.

H

hoosiermatt

Apr 2, 2017
southern IN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
My wife and I checked out the 700-4D yesterday. My son couldn't make it, which kind of stunk because he's the tallest of the group. My wife is 5'4" and I'm 5'10". We were pleased in the comfort of the front seats, and that the layout (even without tilt steering) actually felt comfortable for both of us. When in the back seat, I had about 1" to 1 1/2" of room between my knee and the rear of the front seat. Somebody earlier mentioned using a foam pad to sit on when in the rears. That makes a lot of sense because, for us, the issue of knee room was that we were sitting low with our knees relatively high. I think sitting just one inch higher would be more comfortable and pull the knees back from the front seat by a good 1/2 inch or more. We really liked the fit and finish of the unit, and although it looks fine in pictures, it seems to look better proportioned in person. Just as a side note, we got out-the-door prices at two places (including tax, as OTD prices always should!). One was a hair over $13,800 and the other $12,796. Both were initial quotes, so I'm sure they are still slightly negotiable. Really hope we can find a dealership with an area to test ride one.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
if your kids are tall, all the reviews are alot better for the x4. haul wet ash and maple with mine all the time(probably 3k with the back full and my solid metal 5x8 trailer with moble home axle), park my tractor trailer with it so i dont tear up the yard with the truck 2k without anything, in the snow alot of times. my woods is swamp alot of the time and about a mile back.
2 ash trees working on for winter 2020, one was about 24 at the base and the other 30. alot of times i cut it up in the woods and haul rounds but this one was big and i brought up most of the tree because i will use the branches and stuff. most of the time im working on wood the yard is really soft or snow covered or both, no problems with that after the bigger tires

IMG 0011
20190930 122057
20190926 113622

Last edited:
T

Tnapier40

Nov 17, 2020
WV
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
Does anyone know how the 700 does against a rzr 800?

Reactions: DG Rider
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Based on everything I’m reading the p700-4 would do great in the mountains? I don’t need speed and like the op I’ll be using it mainly for hunting and utility but also trail riding, all in the mountains of CO. At times I’ll have 3 adults and all our hunting gear in it to get from camp to wherever we want to start hiking in to hunt. Other times it’ll just be 2 adults and kids Going down the trails exploring, most will be forest service roads or 4x4 trails.

I really don’t feel I need the 1000-5 but have heard the 700-4 can have issues going up hills with a big load, is it that it’ll stall out for not enough power?

I’ve been using a 2016 Polaris 570 atv for the last 5 years but want more room and ability.

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Based on everything I’m reading the p700-4 would do great in the mountains? I don’t need speed and like the op I’ll be using it mainly for hunting and utility but also trail riding, all in the mountains of CO. At times I’ll have 3 adults and all our hunting gear in it to get from camp to wherever we want to start hiking in to hunt. Other times it’ll just be 2 adults and kids Going down the trails exploring, most will be forest service roads or 4x4 trails.

I really don’t feel I need the 1000-5 but have heard the 700-4 can have issues going up hills with a big load, is it that it’ll stall out for not enough power?

I’ve been using a 2016 Polaris 570 atv for the last 5 years but want more room and ability.
If you don't want to spend up for the P1, the P7 will serve you well, but the turf mode is killer in the yard on the P1?

Reactions: Backwoods
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

How steep are we talking? I take my 7hundo up 10-15% grade no problem. She don’t get there quick but tractors right up nonetheless. 😎

Reactions: Backwoods
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure how steep but easily 10%+ at times but not for long distances. I’m good with tractoring up as long as it doesn’t die or stall out.

Would you guys say the H gear is really a L?

Google Black Bear pass and Engineer Pass for an idea, I can get up over 12k in elevation in spots.

Currently I can get the 1000-5 deluxe for $17k out the door or the 700-4 deluxe for $13.5k out the door. I can also get the 700-4 base for $11.9k out the door.

I’m wondering if the base model is fine, I really don’t care about aluminum rims, can add power steering etc and will replace the factory tires with an 8ply. My only concern with the base is not having the option to lock it in first gear as you can with the deluxe. Thoughts? How is the 700-4 going down steep inclines, do you have to ride the brakes?

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!