DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not sure how steep but easily 10%+ at times but not for long distances. I’m good with tractoring up as long as it doesn’t die or stall out.

Would you guys say the H gear is really a L?

Google Black Bear pass and Engineer Pass for an idea, I can get up over 12k in elevation in spots.

Currently I can get the 1000-5 deluxe for $17k out the door or the 700-4 deluxe for $13.5k out the door. I can also get the 700-4 base for $11.9k out the door.

I’m wondering if the base model is fine, I really don’t care about aluminum rims, can add power steering etc and will replace the factory tires with an 8ply. My only concern with the base is not having the option to lock it in first gear as you can with the deluxe. Thoughts? How is the 700-4 going down steep inclines, do you have to ride the brakes?
The 700 can struggle at high elevations. It's hard to say yes or no without knowing the exact situations you'll be in, as to if it will get the job done, but the only safe answer here is the 1000, assuming you can keep it from overheating, or even the 500/520. Talk to your local Honda dealers at those elevations. I bet they'll steer you away from the 700. It'll probably do what you need...but that really depends on what you ask of it.
If you want more info, there was a silverton ride a few months back where I ask some guys about how their 700 did. You can hit them up for more info.

As for the other questions...
Locking the machine in 1st has no advantage when the machine won't pull 1st. It has to do with power loss from elevation combined with a tallish 1st gear and no low range. Likewise, engine braking is not as good as lower geared machines, so you'll be using the brakes more than most machines. It's not bad, and in-line with the gearing...just not as good as most. I personally don't have a problem with it, but some have complained.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m not sure how the 7hundo will do at 12K elevation. That would be one thing that would make me lean towards the P1K. Just from hearing the stories here. Try to find a way to test drive both at this point. 😉

Reactions: tdhanses
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m not sure how the 7hundo will do at 12K elevation. That would be one thing that would make me lean towards the P1K. Just from hearing the stories here. Try to find a way to test drive both at this point. 😉
I have the dealer going to get both ready for a test, I can be cheap at times and really 75% of my use will be on forest service roads or one track that isn’t crazy. I like the smaller size of the 700, wish they made a 1000-4 or would put a lower gear in the 700. It also seems like the 700 is bullet proof while the 1000 has its quirks.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 700 can struggle at high elevations. It's hard to say yes or no without knowing the exact situations you'll be in, as to if it will get the job done, but the only safe answer here is the 1000, assuming you can keep it from overheating, or even the 500/520. Talk to your local Honda dealers at those elevations. I bet they'll steer you away from the 700. It'll probably do what you need...but that really depends on what you ask of it.
If you want more info, there was a silverton ride a few months back where I ask some guys about how their 700 did. You can hit them up for more info.

As for the other questions...
Locking the machine in 1st has no advantage when the machine won't pull 1st. It has to do with power loss from elevation combined with a tallish 1st gear and no low range. Likewise, engine braking is not as good as lower geared machines, so you'll be using the brakes more than most machines. It's not bad, and in-line with the gearing...just not as good as most. I personally don't have a problem with it, but some have complained.
How so do you mean struggle, does it just lose too much of its power? Yeah I can deal with the engine braking not being the best, always have to learn a machines weak points and work around them, some people struggle with this concept, lol.

How do I find the Silverton ride as that is the general area I’ll go.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the deluxe although I rarely use the paddle shifters they are nice on grades that are almost to steep to hold it in first gear. I ride mostly mountainous terrain but our elevations are much lower than yours. the reason I did not buy a 1000 is at the time was every time you turn around there were problems. I don't read as much now and next time i will step up but for now I am content with the trouble free and go where ever I want machine. 27 inch tires give it just enough clearance that I don't often hit bottom hard as long as I make good choices. But at the elevations you described the 1000 is going to be your best option in my opinion.

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How so do you mean struggle, does it just lose too much of its power? Yeah I can deal with the engine braking not being the best, always have to learn a machines weak points and work around them, some people struggle with this concept, lol.

@Montecresto had a 700 and traded it for a 1000, due to elevation, get a hold of him and he will be able to tell you at what elevation his had issues. You will probably have to PM him, I have him blocked until all this political crap is over. I've got a buddy that has a P7, we ride in NW Arkansas, elevation around 2000, no issues, he went out to CO and had issues?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

It loses too much power from altitude. I did the math once, and at 9,000 ft it's down like 10 horsepower. Remember, this is a machine that starts with only 36.
Closer to the surface of the Earth, even with the tallish gearing, it does fine. It's common for an automotive style automatic to be higher geared than a manual because the torque converter can cover some of that, but not when you choke off 1/3 of it's power. I think a number of us have always been in agreement that a low range might make the 700 the ultimate mountain goat, without some of the finicky problems the 1000 seems to have.
From your last comments about Forest roads and one track that "isn't crazy", it'd probably be fine. some of the discrepancies you see in descriptions of what the 700 can do come from the owners; one man's "isn't crazy" trail is another man's "impossible" trail. That and the fact that for most owners, the 700 does do well. Or to put it another way, the way most side-by-sides get used, the 700 would probably be perfectly fine.

Here is the Silverton thread's last page where I ask. Hit those guys up for more info...

Also: there are a few small things you can do like a high flow air filter and one of those open exhaust tips to get a little more out of it. There's also the power vision 3 that can have a higher performance tune, but those by themselves are 4 or 500 bucks...so at that point you're eating into the price difference between the 700 and 1000.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for your replies, I’ve decide I’ll go with the 1000-5 instead. Now to get the best deal.

Edit: Just bought a 2021 1000-5 deluxe in red for $17466 from my local dealer still in the crate. Guess I’m in the club now.

Last edited:
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the dealer going to get both ready for a test, I can be cheap at times and really 75% of my use will be on forest service roads or one track that isn’t crazy. I like the smaller size of the 700, wish they made a 1000-4 or would put a lower gear in the 700. It also seems like the 700 is bullet proof while the 1000 has its quirks.
I love my 7hundo. The mud size is perfect for my needs. In 3 1/2 years and 1800 miles of ownership I have yet to say I need more. Very pleased with her. That being said the P1K is badass for sho. Good luck with your purchase. 😎😉

Reactions: Backwoods
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks everyone for your replies, I’ve decide I’ll go with the 1000-5 instead. Now to get the best deal.

Edit: Just bought a 2021 1000-5 deluxe in red for $17466 from my local dealer still in the crate. Guess I’m in the club now.
Congrats 😎

Reactions: Backwoods
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!